Forum Index > Trail Talk > Lennox Creek to Marten Lake through hike?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
HikerJohn

HikerJohn
PostWed Dec 16, 2020 9:25 am 
So sitting dreaming of next year and wondering if anyone has ever pushed through from Lennox Creek to Anderson Lake then over the top and down to Marten Lake and out via Taylor River? Lennox Creek hasn't gotten much love from the Forest Service in recent years, but the trail still exists... Anyone???

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostWed Dec 16, 2020 9:48 am 
Lennox Creek is a good enough reason to brave The North Fork Rd. I've hiked it a couple times to the pass above Anderson Lake and it does get some volunteer maintenance from time to time. I'll bet puzzlr has some info on the route down to the Taylor. Sounds like an interesting project.

whitebark

whitebark
PostWed Dec 16, 2020 4:15 pm 
If you do go from Anderson Lake to the Taylor River, be sure to look for the old trail that once connected those two places.

HikerJohn

HikerJohn
PostWed Dec 16, 2020 5:37 pm 
Hey Bark, Didn't know there WAS a trail that led from Anderson down to Taylor River. Any idea of where or how it made that passage?? Cheers, John

flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostWed Dec 16, 2020 7:58 pm 
Hikerjohn, last year I did that hike straight up from the Taylor river trail to anderson lake. I stayed to the right ( on the way up ) of the outlet stream. I found no trail. I did not spend a bunch of energy looking for one though. It was moderate brush but not the worst. The trail from the lake to the pass above is in great shape ( compared to the first part of the trail ) .

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSun Dec 20, 2020 1:13 am 
flatsqwerl - I should have guessed you tried this route! It's been on my list for years. The trail to Anderson Lake from the North Fork is still in good shape, but it only goes a little ways past the ridge line above the lake. It peters out on some talus and you have make your own way down to the lake. This is consistent with some of the old maps. As far as the trail up from the Taylor, here are three relevant maps / photos. Two of them show the trail and then the 1962 map shows the logging road switchback that wiped out the bottom of the trail. I have heard from one person that detected parts of the trail. I looked around quite a bit below the lake when I was camped at Anderson Lake but never found a trace of a trail leading down the slope. It's an indication about the accuracy of the maps that the 1953 one shows the trail going over the ridge west of the lake, which is an impossible route -- there's a steep cliff there.

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostSun Dec 20, 2020 10:26 am 
I don't know anyone who has done the trip you describe all in one go, but between myself and others I know people who have done every segment. The ridge down to Marten is the only segment I haven't done personally.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
HikerJohn

HikerJohn
PostSun Dec 20, 2020 8:24 pm 
Great info, as usual from the folks here... I'll let you guys know when I gear up to take this on (probably won't be before July)... Merry Christmas! Yours, John

lopper
off-route

lopper
off-route
PostMon Dec 21, 2020 11:23 am 
Allow me to insert a map into the gap in puzzlr's fine data. Here is portion of the 1935 Snoqualmie NF map.
Back on the 1953 map: Interesting to see the bold double line all the way past Big Creek. There were grandiose plans for that road. Hence the giant concrete bridge at Big Creek. It has a 'Planet of the Apes-Statue of Liberty' vibe to it now.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon Dec 21, 2020 3:30 pm 
I'm envious that you have a color version of that map smile.gif. But you reminded me that I have a non-colored version and will annotate it more so that it shows up when I search for things like the Anderson Lake trail.
lopper wrote:
There were grandiose plans for that road.
So true. A Middle Fork valley disaster averted. Similar to the plans to build a dam on the Middle Fork close to where the Mailbox parking lot is now. The valley is quite narrow there where the river cut through the glacial moraine that formed the CCC flats on the north side.