Forum Index > Trail Talk > News about NWHiker, More Cowbell
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Dec 15, 2020 9:09 pm 
Hi, all; Sad news to share; More Cowbell (a.k.a. Kirsten James) passed away on Monday morning in the company of friends after battling breast cancer with warrior queen ferocity. She was a passionate musician, a mother to many cats, and a lover of the natural world. I don't know anyone who knows every trail and path of Discovery Park as well as Kirsten. She hasn't posted much here lately, as she has been unable to get out into the forest and mountains. A friend took her to Reecer Creek above Ellensburg earlier this year; sitting in the car for that length of time was painful and arduous for her, but it's her favorite place, and she wanted to see it again in full bloom - and to pick mushrooms. She was funny, kind, wry, and a fantastic cook. She loved music, and played the flute and piccolo with the Lake Washington Symphony Orchestra and the North Corner Chamber Orchestra in Seattle; and gave lessons to dozens of talented youth and some adults too. I met Kirsten on this site 14 years ago! And 14 years later, was honored to be among those who saw her through palliative care and home hospice. So yeah, NWHikers does a good service.
N Fk Sauk trail, Kirsten
N Fk Sauk trail, Kirsten

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostTue Dec 15, 2020 9:23 pm 
I only met her a few times at socials and didn't really get to know her, but I'm saddened to hear of her passing. She always had something to add to posts back in the hayday. Thanks for sharing with us Kim.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue Dec 15, 2020 10:27 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
I met Kirsten on this site 14 years ago! And 14 years later, was honored to be among those who saw her through palliative care and home hospice. So yeah, NWHikers does a good service.
Sad news indeed. So sorry that you lost your friend, Kim. She was fortunate to have you at her side during this challenging time. May she rest in peace. May you be comforted by your memories, your friends, and future visits to the places you both loved. ~z

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Dec 15, 2020 11:53 pm 
frown.gif Very sorry to hear of this. I have very much missed her wit here in her absence. BK

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Gil

Gil
PostWed Dec 16, 2020 12:55 am 
Very sorry to hear this news.

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
sooperfly

sooperfly
PostWed Dec 16, 2020 9:26 am 
So sorry to hear this! NWH has lost a valuable and unique member. Glad you were able to be there for her Kim. RIP Kirsten!

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Dec 16, 2020 9:28 am 
Cancer sucks

kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostWed Dec 16, 2020 9:45 am 
Goodbye, Warrior Princess. I will miss our shared juvenile sense of humor and far too occasional hikes. You were a lovely person, a fighter, a fantastic musician, and a friend. Peace be with you. Thank you, Kim, for being there for her when she needed someone.

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Dec 16, 2020 11:18 am 
Kleet, was that at that lookout near Mt Rainier (the name escapes me; being a Glacier Peak snob, I'm not too familiar with Mt Rainier area. Norse?) Kirsten was always finding and purchasing old maps and old hiking guidebooks and giving them to her friends. One New Year's Eve, several of us were at her house drinking champagne and browsing our gifted 1950's Metzger Maps and old guidebooks. We're such party animals.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Dec 16, 2020 11:52 am 
Oh no, another one. This has been a rough year for many. Hope she is at peace.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostWed Dec 16, 2020 12:14 pm 
Very sad to hear this. She always seemed like a cool lady.

kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostWed Dec 16, 2020 12:38 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
Kleet, was that at that lookout near Mt Rainier (the name escapes me; being a Glacier Peak snob, I'm not too familiar with Mt Rainier area. Norse?)
That was at Noble Knob. I think it was her birthday hike. That was a fun day.

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Dec 16, 2020 12:51 pm 
Thank you for letting us know. Peace unto you More Cowbell. I will remember you. Thank you for making this a community.

Art is an adventure.
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostWed Dec 16, 2020 1:13 pm 
Thank you, Kim, for letting us know. I never met More Cowbell but always enjoyed her posts. May she rest in peace.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Dec 16, 2020 2:10 pm 
kleet wrote:
Kim Brown wrote:
Kleet, was that at that lookout near Mt Rainier (the name escapes me; being a Glacier Peak snob, I'm not too familiar with Mt Rainier area. Norse?)
That was at Noble Knob. I think it was her birthday hike. That was a fun day.
Yes; we stopped at DQ and I snapped a photo of you with Mt Rainier on an ice cream spoon headed into your maw.