Forum Index > Trail Talk > Mazama to Winthrop on groomed trails
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Dec 10, 2020 2:56 pm 
I'm hoping to have an opportunity to do this soon and wondering if anybody who's done the MCT and Rendezvous routes would like to offer advice on which to take. I'm leaning towards the Rendezvous because I haven't been on the middle of that trail system and Sick Joke Hill sounds like it could be fun if I take it in the right direction. (Don't know which direction that is though.)

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostThu Dec 10, 2020 7:01 pm 
Are you skiing or fat biking? The MCT is relatively flat and the Rendezvous routes have more elevation gain (hence some of the names).

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Dec 10, 2020 10:48 pm 
I'll be on skis. I'm intermediate with them. I've done a lot of both routes and enjoyed all of it. I guess I'm asking if there's anything I need to see along either route option, if it would be better to start at Cougar Bait or Gunn Ranch if I do the Rendezvous route, and if it matters which direction I go.

John_B

John_B
PostFri Dec 11, 2020 10:22 am 
Starting at Gunn gets you a little higher than Cougar Bait. You definently want to ski Sick Joke from the Rendezvous to Mazama, rather than climbing up from Mazama. The problem with either of these is that getting back to your car is a little more involved if you don't have someone to give you a shuttle. In previous years it has been pretty easy to hitch hike from Winthrop back to Mazama. Methow Trails has also run a shuttle bus on Saturdays before. I'm not sure how easy hitching is or if the shuttle bus will exist this year with covid.

sticky buns

sticky buns
PostFri Dec 18, 2020 4:11 pm 
I've done the MCT from Mazama to Winthrop many times and the Rendezvous trails from Cub Cr to Mazama once. I classic at high-intermediate(?) level. If you want hills and forests, I recommend Rendezvous. If you want sunshine and expansive valley views and some riverside jaunts and a suspension bridge with art work, I recommend the MCT. Also, I hear that the huts aren't open for day visitors this year; I don't know the status of Browns and Wolf Cr. At one point one year, the road to Gunn was less accessible than Cub Cr/Cougar Bait, so that choice may depend on your vehicle's capabilities and road conditions. I far prefer the valley, but everything's worthwhile. Maybe just go for the best snow.

John_B

John_B
PostFri Dec 18, 2020 4:46 pm 
Brown's farm and Wolf Ridge warming huts are both closed this year.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Dec 18, 2020 7:34 pm 
Good to know the warming huts are closed, would have been a good place to get water. Good in the before times anyway. I have a good friend coming out with me so a one way ride is easy. Logistics would be easier on the MCT. And I do like sunshine and valley views. About the Rendezvous Huts being closed, I hope that means you can't go in but can still ski up to them? The are some great views at a couple of them. If I still have energy the next day. dizzy.gif Thanks for the info! smile.gif smile.gif