Forum Index > Trail Talk > How risky is parking at Snoqualmie Middle Fork?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Josh

Josh
PostSat Dec 19, 2020 1:18 pm 
Seems like the Middle Fork road used to have a reputation for excessive theft and vandalism of cars parked there. Is that still true? Should I be worried about parking at the end of the paved road overnight on a winter weekday (say, next week)?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hutch

Hutch
PostSat Dec 19, 2020 2:50 pm 
Always a risk but anecdotally, break ins seems way less common now that the road is paved than in years past. Much more traffic out there than before.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Dec 19, 2020 3:01 pm 
Probably safer than street parking your car overnight anywhere in Seattle. Reccomend: Leaving nothing in vehicle. Obfuscate/Cut out home address info from registration and insurance documents. Leave garage door opener at home. Consider anti-theft measures such as "The Club" , battery shutoff switch, removing distributer arm, especially if you have an older vehicle lacks a "chipped" key security system.

flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostSat Dec 19, 2020 4:06 pm 
I second Randito's thoughts. I park there more than any place and I've not been broken into yet. My last 2 break-ins were at Granit mnt trailhead and Goldcreek trailhead.

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostSat Dec 19, 2020 4:41 pm 
Try this... https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8026235

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSun Dec 20, 2020 1:29 am 
I visit all the Middle Fork trailheads often enough to get a feel for how often there is detectable theft like broken glass on the ground. My gut feel is that it's rare partly because of the one-way-in, one-way-out configuration. The Mailbox parking pullouts are the worst presumably because they're close to an "escape" route. I have not seen broken glass at the new Granite Creek trailhead since it was opened in 2017. The last known break in at the Dingford Creek trailhead was in 2016. There's also this 2015 report.

Josh

Josh
PostSun Dec 20, 2020 1:02 pm 
Thanks, all! This has been very helpful. I won't stress over parking there overnight.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Dec 20, 2020 4:51 pm 
Never had a problem when you could drive to the end. Broken cars from that potholed highway to hell but no broken glass at the end. Have not had a problem on the paved road either too crowded for good vandals.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
nordique

nordique
PostTue Dec 22, 2020 8:17 pm 
I've been driving up the Middle Fork for decades now, from back when the road was unpaved and pretty rough--but I've always considered it a safe place to park--unlike a lot of closer-in trailheads. I leave nothing visible in my car and lI ock it up--and park in locations close to the trailhead. Parking is the least of my problems!

Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)

Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)
PostFri Jan 28, 2022 11:18 am 
Does anyone know if its "legal" to park your van overnight (as in sleep in it) up the Middle Fork?

flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostFri Jan 28, 2022 11:47 am 
I have parked my vehicle in a few parking lots when doing over nights in the area with no problem. For instance at the very end ( Garfield ledge start ).

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostFri Jan 28, 2022 7:37 pm 
There's been a homeless person parked at the Pratt River bar pullout for a long time -- no tickets AFAIK. But I think he's gone now. Most of the traditional places for long term parking have been turned into official trailheads now -- Camp Brown, Garfield Ledges. Further up the road the miners park at the Green Ridge trailhead for many days at a time during mining season. I would not worry about parking at the Snoqualmie or Dingford trailhead for days at time. The Dingford trailhead might still be hard to get to -- I haven't heard a road report in 10 days, and am out out of town so I can't check it out for myself.

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostSun Jan 30, 2022 10:40 am 
Living in north bend, the overwhelming complaint i hear about the mid fork is the opposite these days: overcrowding. I have not heard about many midfork break ins recently, despite the overall surge in crime the junkies are mainly stealing mail and robbing the nike outlet store. On weekends especially it gets so much traffic that it feels pretty safe, so long as you can find a parking spot!

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...
PostWed Feb 09, 2022 8:52 am 
Randito wrote:
Probably safer than street parking your car overnight anywhere in Seattle. Reccomend: Leaving nothing in vehicle. Obfuscate/Cut out home address info from registration and insurance documents. Leave garage door opener at home. Consider anti-theft measures such as "The Club" , battery shutoff switch, removing distributer arm, especially if you have an older vehicle lacks a "chipped" key security system.
up.gif up.gif Even consider leaving unlocked to prevent "curiosity damage". I would also emphasize "NOTHING".

http://david-inscho.smugmug.com/ The key to a successful trip is to do the planning during work hours. -- John Muir “My most memorable hikes can be classified as 'Shortcuts that Backfired'.” --Ed Abbey
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Feb 09, 2022 9:22 am 
Safer than the High School/Section Line Trailhead in Issaquah, yesterday a catalytic converter was cut off a Prius between 3:30 and 5:00 pm.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn