Forum Index > Trail Talk > Snow Camping
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jrmacd2

jrmacd2
PostMon Dec 21, 2020 5:26 pm 
I thought I was good at the internet, but I'm having trouble finding resources for snow camping. Everything I am finding relates to snowshoe daytrips, which doesn't help me. in particular: where to park and where you can do it overnight. I'm new to the forums, been in Seattle(Ballard)for 3 years now. Took a snow camping course with Sierra Club in San Francisco 10 years ago right before being unexpectedly exiled to Manhattan. I want to get back out overnight in the winter. I wish I owned ski's but don't(maybe next winter) so it's snowshoes for me. The snow camping course did not include avalanche safety training. I was looking at Gold Creek Pond TH, as it's a sno-park that seems to permit overnight parking, but then I saw a trip report on WTA from yesterday (12/20) that says the road to the parking lot is closed so they had to park on the road; I'm guessing overnight parking on the road is no bueno? I do Zipcar, so showing to find out I can't park would be not cool. I could always go down to Longmire, but I'm looking for someplace closer, like the I-90 corridor. Saw a recommendation somewhere for Commonwealth Basin(I've snow-shoed there before) but where would you park overnight? Any recommendations/resources to point me to? I'm happy to do my own research, but I've hit a wall here. You don't have to tell me your secret spots, but general recommendations welcome.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostMon Dec 21, 2020 5:50 pm 
parking overnight on almost any forest road is okey, as long as you can find a place where you can do it without blocking the road. Many higher roads are snowed over however, so you might need to start low and hike up to get to snow.

Waterman

Waterman
PostMon Dec 21, 2020 6:00 pm 
I would park at surprise lake trailhead. Highway 2, plowed. And find a place to camp WITHIN SHORT distance of car. Close enough to get there in the dark in 10 minutes. You just want to get a taste of the cold and not turn it into an epic experience . The more foam pads to sleep on the better. Have fun.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostMon Dec 21, 2020 6:12 pm 
Also see previous gear topic https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8031178 You can also search multiple trip reports on Snow Camping

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Dec 21, 2020 6:29 pm 
The Gold Creek Sno-Park does allow overnight parking. However I don't reccomend the Gold Creek Valley as a snow camping destination as anywhere far enough up the valley to be out of the "hum zone" from the freeway will be in the run out zone for avalanches, which in extreme conditions have run down one side of the valley , crossed the creek and climbed hundreds of feet up the otherside.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Dec 21, 2020 7:33 pm 
One thing to keep in mind is the weather forecast for snow...you don't want to end up like this guy or your vehicle might spend the winter out in the woods. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7988073

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
KascadeFlat

KascadeFlat
PostMon Dec 21, 2020 10:04 pm 
My .02: Skyline Lake off hwy 2 is an awesome place to test winter camping gear - it's a road walk up to the lake, good views over the ski area, and an easy bail if things go south. This area is extremely popular on weekends. When you're ready to up your game - take some time to study topo maps and read trip reports here. Caltopo has a nice 'slope angle' shading layer that is very helpful for double checking your research and avoiding no-go avalanche terrain.

For a good time call: 1-800-SLD-ALDR.
jrmacd2

jrmacd2
PostTue Dec 22, 2020 5:27 pm 
This is all really helpful. The winterbacking.com is probably what I'm looking for, and I'm going to have to look at a Caltopo subscription to supplement all trails on my phone I'm leaning toward Mt Rainier, heading to Louise Lake from Narada Falls tomorrow(Wednesday) night. Forecast is pretty mild 34F/25F, sunny and little wind. I figure if I'm going to drive 2 hours up Hwy 2, I might as well make it 3 and go to Rainier. But Surprise and Skyline Lake look good for the future, though driving back west down from Stevens pass freaks me out, it feels like I'm about to drive off the edge of the world. Thanks for all the help.

Felpudo

Felpudo
PostTue Dec 29, 2020 1:15 pm 
https://www.seattletimes.com/life/outdoors/winter-camping-might-sound-intriguing-but-make-sure-youre-prepared-before-you-go/ This was just in the paper and I thought it was useful as I'm in the same boat as you.

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostFri Jan 15, 2021 12:24 am 
Be careful going all the way into surprise lake a large portion of that trail is a terrain trap. I'd take a good look at nwac first. Not everyone knows avy safety and terrain. Just because other people do something and it's on WTA does not make it safe.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
pula58

pula58
PostFri Jan 15, 2021 2:36 pm 
SwitchbackFisher wrote:
Not everyone knows avy safety and terrain. Just because other people do something and it's on WTA does not make it safe.
Indeed. And just because you see footprints in the snow it does not mean that it is safe to follow them. Any snow travel in the mtns should be preceded by thorough education concerning avalanches. Read books about the subject (preferably more than one). Take an avalanche course. Be safe.

Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Jan 15, 2021 4:10 pm 
With any of the ski areas, make sure you're in the proper overnight lot or you'll get buried by snowplows during the night. Also be sure to have a good shovel in the car.