Forum Index > Gear Talk > Canister stove windscreen
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
OwenT

OwenT
PostMon Dec 21, 2020 11:58 am 
My dad wants a windscreen for his canister stove and none of the commercially available options seemed like a good value. Considering compatibility and weight, the options are limited. The best design I came across was the inverted cone that sits on top of the canister and surrounds the stove. I made a model in solidworks but before I spend a little money to have it cut out on my school’s water jet, I made a little paper cone prototype.
To me it seems like a good design but I’m willing to take input, someone may have done this before. The two major things are just making sure the canister doesn’t get hot and that the whole thing gets enough airflow and I think with my solidworks design that should hopefully be accomplished although I may have even too much ventilation. Thoughts?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostMon Dec 21, 2020 2:47 pm 
There is, or at least used to be, a member on the forum called "hikin_jim" who writes a blog called https://adventuresinstoving.blogspot.com who addresses topics like this and who would probably be the most helpful. I'll bet he'd even respond to questions. This looks like a clever design and it seems to fit really well. However, to me, it looks like the ventilation may actually be a little weak (although I can't see the back side well enough to see if there's more ventilation there). The risk, of course, is raising the temperature of your canister from it's own heat output to the point where it explodes!

OwenT

OwenT
PostMon Dec 21, 2020 3:37 pm 
Thanks. I didn’t put any holes in the paper mock up, just made the cone shape. I hope with the amount of holes that I put in the CAD drawing ventilation should be sufficient while still protecting from the wind. I figured I would not put any holes on the portion that will face the breeze and then go more hole heavy on the opposite side.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostMon Dec 21, 2020 4:40 pm 
Stoves like the MRS pocket rocket have stainless steel vanes atop the burner to limit the effects of wind on the flame pattern. Unless you’re routinely cooking above the tree line, finding a more wind sheltered location to cook is simpler than carrying extra gear for the occasionally windy day. There’s lots of folding windscreens of different heights available in the under $15 range; but most are 8 ounces or more.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostMon Dec 21, 2020 6:58 pm 
The optimus windscreen is a bit heavy as windscreens go (3.1 oz) but it clips onto any standard canister and is rugged, well designed and works quite well if you keep the back pointed toward the wind. The above link says it is 0.31 lbs when in fact it is 3.1 oz.

OwenT

OwenT
PostMon Dec 21, 2020 7:30 pm 
Oh interesting. I had seen that but then when I saw .31 pounds I said no thanks

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Dec 21, 2020 8:41 pm 
Have you tried prototyping a wind screen of that configuration using heavy duty aluminum foil? Seems like a cheap way figure put whether it will work.

OwenT

OwenT
PostMon Dec 21, 2020 9:00 pm 
Haven’t yet but I should. Will just take a little while to cut out all the holes.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Dec 21, 2020 9:17 pm 
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostTue Dec 22, 2020 7:18 am 
The reason this windscreen looks so big is because they made it big enough to also accommodate a large expedition size canister when packing up the stove kit. As InFlight mentioned above, finding natural shelter from the wind is usually pretty easy. Even above tree line you can build a shelter with some rocks. There are always lots of rocks above tree line! Also, since gas is so much lighter than metal, using a few extra grams of gas due to wind is always less weight than carrying a windscreen on short trips. The windscreen decision comes in when you have to decide to take more than one canister for longer trips.
3.1 oz only
3.1 oz only
big enough for a large canister
big enough for a large canister

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Dec 23, 2020 12:44 am 
I made some windscreens from aluminum flashing and discovered that my canister stove melted it.

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Paul Walsh
Paul Walsh

Paul Walsh
Paul Walsh
PostThu Dec 24, 2020 1:33 pm 
The best wind screen I’ve found is the Flat Cat Gear Ocelot. Paired with the Soto WindMaster stove, (with the Triflex pot support) and a titanium pot with a 4.5 inch wide bottom. This screen is made of light weight stainless steel, which I though would be too heavy, but the screen and bracket only weigh 0.93 oz.. This is a very efficient setup and you only need to run your stove at half throttle, if you turn the stove up too high it will warp the bottom of the pot.