Forum Index > Trip Reports > Dosewallips Road to the ranger station 12-04-2018
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RodF

RodF
PostTue Dec 11, 2018 9:15 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
...if there are no other such limited access areas in ONP.
But there are many. In this valley alone, a mile above the washout, turn left and cross the "Ten Mile" concrete road bridge, then hike upriver above the south bank to intercept the Old Dosewallips Trail and the Muscott Basin Trails (trails 81 and 82 in Robert L Wood's "Olympic Mountains Trail Guide"). The Tunnel Creek trailhead, 2 miles before the washout, climbs to 5050 Pass. And, of course, both the main fork Dosewallips and east fork Dosewallips trails from Dosewallips RS. Both Dose Meadows and Honeymoon Meadows used to be within dayhike range...

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Dec 11, 2018 11:28 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
I now lean toward being ok with the road not being restored for vehicles, especially if there are no other such limited access areas in ONP.
Part of the issue is that there are many culverts along the road which need to be maintained or they will eventually blow out, with all the attendant issues that brings. There are already a few issues with culverts along the road. And if there is going to be some kind of shuttle, well the road will have to be rebuilt for that. We have lost the Elwha and Altair campgrounds in the last couple of years. Along with the loss of Elkhorn and Dose campgrounds along the Dosewallips River, this puts added pressure on the remaining campgrounds near or in ONP. ONP suffers a lot of washouts because of the heavy rainfal it gets and because much of the road maintenance gets put off. In the past decade, the Whisky bend road has been closed about as much as it has been open. A slightly less fate for the Hot Springs road. It could be several more years before the Elwha River Valley trail system is opened up for good access as before. And there is always the possibility that it may suffer a similar fate as the Dosewallips. I personally think more access is better. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Gregory

Gregory
PostWed Dec 12, 2018 7:13 am 
Drive up to the Hamma Hamma, park and get out of your rig without stepping in somebodies crap. It is fairly clean now because of the fire closure but The normal these days is just gross. Same for the Skokomish drainage, The washout on the Dose has kept the people that treat our lands this way at bay.I have family in Brinnon and yes they have had to adjust to the loss of people spending money coming and going up there. That said I selfishly, hope that the road never gets repaired. Thanks to the threatened warty jumping slug it probably never will. http://archive.kitsapsun.com/outdoors/seabury-blair-jr-jumping-slug-document-raises-sensitive-questions-ep-421916064-358563551.html?page=1

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostWed Dec 12, 2018 11:19 am 
RodF wrote:
Both Dose Meadows and Honeymoon Meadows used to be within dayhike range...
Dose meadows was 13 miles one way before the washout - that is some mighty strong day hiking there. Del Monte Ridge might have been a cool day hike destination - 14+ miles round trip. Anderson Pass was 9 miles one way = swarmed and trashed. Now its a nice wilderness 15 miles in, about the same as from the other side. To me, and many folks I meet on the trail, the remoteness of ONP is the attraction.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Fullripbrian

Fullripbrian
PostWed Dec 12, 2018 2:46 pm 
I've dayhiked Anderson Pass twice in the past few years. Also dayhiked EV when Graves Creek was washed out a few years back. I hiked from Madison Falls to North Fork Quinault via the Elwha in 2016. It took me 20 hours, so I guess it counts as a dayhike. I'm not that fast, I'm not that fit,and I have many bad habits. I guess my point is that access is relative, and that all of these locations remain accessible. Not to everybody and and not as easily as they once were. But the access remains. If you can work out the logistics and you have the stoke, 90% of trail destinations in ONP are reachable in a long day out moving at 2-2.5 mph.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Dec 12, 2018 3:35 pm 
Fullripbrian wrote:
I've dayhiked Anderson Pass twice in the past few years. Also dayhiked EV when Graves Creek was washed out a few years back. I hiked from Madison Falls to North Fork Quinault via the Elwha in 2016. It took me 20 hours, so I guess it counts as a dayhike. I'm not that fast, I'm not that fit,and I have many bad habits.
Hmmmm ... I have done a fair amount of long distance hiking. I can can say, without fear of contradiction, hiking 52 miles from Madison Falls to North Fork Quinault TH via the Elwha is NOT a typical dayhike, even for someone that is in excellent physical condition and accustomed to hiking 30 mile days, day after day. If in fact you did that, then you were either dragging the last half of that "dayhike" or you are completely mistaken as to your physical fitness.
Fullripbrian wrote:
I guess my point is that access is relative, and that all of these locations remain accessible. Not to everybody and and not as easily as they once were. But the access remains.
The point is that there should be access for all sort of abilities. ONP should not be available for only the fittest of us, but to a wide variety of age and fitness levels. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostWed Dec 12, 2018 4:31 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
The point is that there should be access for all sort of abilities. ONP should not be available for only the fittest of us, but to a wide variety of age and fitness levels.
so pave all the trails and grade them to ADA standards? There already is access for all abilities. Just not everywhere. If only available for the fittest of us then I would be excluded...

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Dec 12, 2018 5:40 pm 
coldrain108 wrote:
RumiDude wrote:
The point is that there should be access for all sort of abilities. ONP should not be available for only the fittest of us, but to a wide variety of age and fitness levels.
so pave all the trails and grade them to ADA standards? There already is access for all abilities. Just not everywhere. If only available for the fittest of us then I would be excluded...
In the interest of observing the spirit of the No Spray rule I started a thread to continue this discussion over in the Stewardship Forum. Rumi

cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostMon Dec 17, 2018 9:05 am 
Inspired by this report, Thanks AA; my son and I hiked up with the break in weather Saturday and camped overnight at the old Dosewallips camp. Drizzle on the way in, and some sun breaks followed by steady rain in the evening and hike out. Managed a fire after a whole bunch of work. Really nice to get out despite the weather. As AA points out the trail now starts 1.5 miles before the major washout. I am not sure if this will be the permanent start of the "trail" now as it has been fixed before but seems to always wash out again. Otherwise, the trail and camp seemed about as it always does. Surprisingly, ran into a group of Boy Scouts (or Scouts, I guess now) from Silverdale,removing all the debris ontop of one of the bridges (the big creek prior to Constance Creek), so there are people out there still maintaining this road! smile.gif The Dose was definately a raging sight to see.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Dec 17, 2018 4:28 pm 
I've never considered a winter trip over there but now you and Ancient Ambler have me contemplating it, if the weather conditions are right. Hiking in spring rain is one thing, the only winter pelting I can take is snow. winksmile.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostMon Dec 21, 2020 9:37 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
What kind of birdie laid that?
What kind of birdie laid that?
Oh, I found this old thread! The egg is very unmistakable, it is american robin's egg. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_robin