Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > stimulus checks
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostTue Dec 22, 2020 4:22 pm 
I split my last one between the food banks and doctors without borders. I know many folks really need their checks, but if you don't, what will you be doing with yours? Got a worthy cause? Happy holidays to all! cool.gif cool.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Dec 22, 2020 4:58 pm 
Was looking at my bike tires and might get new ones. Seriously, I've been sending our local fud bank a check every month since March. It's the money I didn't spend on traveling much this year. Last week I dropped off a bag o' hats that I knitted because they were wanting kid things, but didn't define kid things so I had the hats ready. They were happy about that. I'm knitting more hats that I'll give away. I have a lot of yarn accumulation.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Alpine Pedestrian

Alpine Pedestrian
PostTue Dec 22, 2020 5:03 pm 
I donated mine, too, to various causes. I plan to do the same with this one. I can't help everyone, so it's hard to narrow it down. I'd like it to help children, so I'm interested in what people list here.

jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostTue Dec 22, 2020 7:50 pm 
I split mine - and planned to do so again - between a local food bank, and a local service group that helps with housing, referrals, emergency utility bills, etc. Discussing what to do, with a friend, he said, “We both have friends who in poor shape financially, or are aging and struggling on small incomes, or have other issues. Why not just dropped a few hundred $s on an old friend”. I may do that...

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Dec 22, 2020 8:08 pm 
I'm giving mine to my favorite charity, me. Kudo's to you guys for helping out others when you can. up.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Dec 22, 2020 8:12 pm 
Chump change if we ever get it, probably not. We did well on investments and have contributed several times more to food banks and local charities. Did you know New Zealand paid $600/week to every citizen and now has almost no COVID 19 except something that sneaks in. We have several times as much gnp/citizen. Discusting huh.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Dec 23, 2020 12:13 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Chump change if we ever get it, probably not. We did well on investments and have contributed several times more to food banks and local charities. Did you know New Zealand paid $600/week to every citizen and now has almost no COVID 19 except something that sneaks in. We have several times as much gnp/citizen. Discusting huh.gif
Well here we go on the Covid discussion topic again...Australia is also virtually Covid free due to a nearly complete lock down, but I think comparing those two to the US is unfair as they are islands, smaller, and easier to shut down. I know Aussie is actually a continent and not technically an island, still it's surrounded by water. They restricted travel between provinces, I really don't think that is feasible for the US.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Dec 23, 2020 7:19 am 
NPR had a news item that it may be vetoed. He wants to raise it to $2000.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Dec 23, 2020 9:29 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Well here we go on the Covid discussion topic again...Australia is also virtually Covid free due to a nearly complete lock down, but I think comparing those two to the US is unfair as they are islands, smaller, and easier to shut down. I know Aussie is actually a continent and not technically an island, still it's surrounded by water. They restricted travel between provinces, I really don't think that is feasible for the US.
These real reason Australia is easier to lock down is that people there are willing to do it to save peoples' lives. Only half of Americans are willing to do that. Australians aren't showing up with guns demanding hair salons and bars open, or trying to kidnap governors.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Dec 23, 2020 9:47 am 
Don’t hold your breath on the $2k check, at this point it requires unanimous consent one member of either party can kill it if proposed.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
neek

neek
PostWed Dec 23, 2020 9:50 am 
Any amount is silly; most of us don't need it and won't give to a good cause. Meanwhile it won't make much difference for those who really are in trouble. I'm sure there are some exceptions.

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostWed Dec 23, 2020 10:22 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
These real reason Australia is easier to lock down is that people there are willing to do it to save peoples' lives. Only half of Americans are willing to do that. Australians aren't showing up with guns demanding hair salons and bars open, or trying to kidnap governors.
And they are also a supposed "prison" colony that historically questions/disregards authority. One of the "excuses" for being heartless . Their leaders didn't decide, behind closed doors, to force "herd" "immunity" on their people by starving them back to work in unsafe conditions.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Dec 23, 2020 10:58 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Don’t hold your breath on the $2k check, at this point it requires unanimous consent one member of either party can kill it if proposed.
Nancy wants to look good. Crypt Keeper does have enough power to force them to vote her way. The other side? Depends on how much of an a$$ they want to look like by being Scrooges.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Dec 23, 2020 11:11 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
These real reason Australia is easier to lock down is that people there are willing to do it to save peoples' lives. Only half of Americans are willing to do that.
Because lockdowns wouldn't work. We are a massive country. Australia is an island. So yes, you can lock down borders and keep out planes and boats. To do a complete lockdown of the US there would have to be NO transportation of boats, trains, planes, all borders shut down. Every state would have to shut down exactly the same. Australia has 25 million mid year 2020. The USA has 331 million people mid year 2020. That's just a wee difference in how many people you lock down. And few in Oz are going to run off into the core of the country, where it is inhospitable. And they also don't have that pesky right to free speech, or to congregate for protest. Which makes it oh so easy to shut down a country when you lock up those who talk outloud or online....... And for the biggest issue: Lockdowns DO kill people. The rate of suicide in young people has gone thru the roof in the past 9 months. Being lonely - and being full of anxiety in how you will survive poverty - kill just as well. If you are at home, feeling secure, you can order your food to be delivered, you haven't lost your paycheck, your heat, and you are mentally well, well good for you. But that isn't the reality for many in the US. I live rural - I have to you know...go shopping. My son has worked as "an essential worker" and gets nothing extra - one of my kids is doing badly with homeschooling. Not his grades, it is that he is so lonely my heart aches for him. I worry about him every minute I am awake. He NEEDS human contact. My oldest son lives in fear due to going to work. But if he doesn't go to work, he doesn't get paid - and all you plush livers don't get food. There is no freaking utopia where everyone gets to stay at home, with a pantry full of food, and heat blasting.....some sucker has to go to work to pay taxes. So everyone else can wax on about how "Half of America isn't willing"

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Dec 23, 2020 11:43 am 
You're making it sound like refusing to cooperate has nothing to do with it because other stuff. Almost nothing happens for just one reason. Americans have a culture of rugged individualism that benefited us as a nation in the past but worked very much to our detriment in this situation.