Forum Index > Trip Reports > Thomas Mtn
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSat Nov 16, 2002 5:08 pm 
This peak is on the Homecourt list so was going to be climbed eventually by me. It is mostly trail travel the entire way so when the forecast was for miserable weather I decided to hike to the top today. The hardest part will be finding the trailhead. Get off at Exit 70 on I-90. Go over the bridge and turn left onto the frontage road which is called Sparks Road. Travel 1/2 mile on Sparks Road and then turn right onto the Kachess Dam Road. After 0.4 miles on this road (FS 4818) you will see some power lines. Turn right at the road under the power lines and travel for 0.6 miles. About 200 yards before the power lines turn to the south you will want to take the road going to the left. Stay on this road for about 3/4 miles making right turns when they appear. Then you will come to a deadend next to a creek. Park the car and cross the creek (no log). On the other side is a trail which you will go to the left on. After 150' you will see a wooden sign about the size of a Hershey bar on the right which says "Trail". That is the start of the hike. It will meet a logging road. At the logging road go left until the hairpin turn where the trail continues to the left. We came prepared for intense rain but were delightfully surprised to have remained dry for virtually the entire hike. We even got a little sunburned. On the way out I bumped into Dave F and his wife. I hadn't seen him since we climbed Troublesome about 18 months ago. The weather got much worse when we went back home. I was happy to complete my 80th peak of the Homecourt 100 tallest list.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Nov 16, 2002 10:34 pm 
Jesus, you're a scary bastard Mike! Tally ho, and a large congrats to you! There are ofcourse 14 8000+ meter peaks out there just WAITING for you! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message