Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What music have you been listening to today?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Dec 01, 2020 10:32 pm 
I don't think I had any idea Letters to Cleo existed before the movie 10 Things I Hate About You. I come back to them off and on, really like their sound.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Dec 01, 2020 11:12 pm 
Anne Elk - re: last email: okay here it is.... date on video says 1987, and I saw this at a film festival in Seattle when it came out, so I'm going to guess that would have been either in 1987 or 1988 - the same event where I saw the two I posted just above. hard to describe the effect this had on me sitting in a dark theater watching it on a big movie screen. disturbing, to say the least, but then, the purpose of art is to evoke a response from the viewer/listener, right? wink.gif Hello Dad! (* the title I have entered here is how it appeared on the screen when I first saw it. *)

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSat Dec 05, 2020 9:32 pm 

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Dec 12, 2020 12:22 am 
Some stunning mountain scenery to go along with the song.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Dec 12, 2020 10:37 am 

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Dec 12, 2020 11:40 am 

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSat Dec 19, 2020 10:33 pm 

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSat Dec 19, 2020 11:36 pm 
So, zephyr, did you see the movie? Did you like it? These biopics can be so ... something off. It's gotta be weird for the subjects when films are done about people still living. Like, do you think the Windsors have been watching "The Crown"? horsey.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Dec 20, 2020 10:43 am 
A bit of random nice scenery, and a bunch of cute dogs in this lyric video.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSun Dec 20, 2020 12:46 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
So, zephyr, did you see the movie? Did you like it? These biopics can be so ... something off. It's gotta be weird for the subjects when films are done about people still living. Like, do you think the Windsors have been watching "The Crown"? horsey.gif
Haha! No I didn't see the movie yet. I may be able to find it at the library. I was stationed in Long Beach in the early Seventies. I remember a shipmate playing his music. A family friend bought me tickets to E.J.'s performance at the Greek Theatre in Griffith park. I was only a few rows away from the stage. It was an amazing experience in such a small historic venue (photos). Here's a page from his performance schedule showing the nights at The Greek. He was already appearing before huge crowds, so it was special to get to see him there. I didn't know much about him at the time, but remember seeing him jump off his seat while singing and playing. Here's a copy of the set list from that night. "Your Song" is at the top. I tend to like his earlier music better. He's a complex artist and I have no idea how true-to-life the biopic is. But this particular scene with this particular song was powerful and subtle at the same time. Just loved seeing it being created in front of our eyes. (Not sure if that is accurate, but who cares. It was a beautiful scene.) As for The Crown, interesting you should mention that. I just got the 3rd season DVD from the library and have watched the first one last night. Amazing how that first episode echoes the current political drama that we are facing today. Surely some of those folks are watching the series. It's not only dramatic, but brilliantly cast and the set design / locations feel authentic. You may recall that the current season (4) which has been playing lately had a bit of a dust up when someone from the royal family staff complained about accuracy and wanted The Crown to put out disclaimers on portions being non-historic or something to that effect. Here's more on that. I see so few films and no television these days for a variety of reasons. But occasionally get a dvd from the library. This series has definitely been entertaining and though maybe inaccurate gives a good impression of those eras. Maybe the more recent ones will disappoint. We'll see. ~z

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Dec 20, 2020 4:47 pm 
Pentatonic My Favorite things

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon Dec 21, 2020 11:18 pm 
Here's an artist that I didn't know, but came across tonight. She passed away today at age 78. Such a distinctive, beautiful voice. ~z

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Dec 23, 2020 12:56 am 
Here's something kinda different, but very interesting I think, just stumbled across it.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Dec 23, 2020 2:18 pm 
zephyr wrote:
A family friend bought me tickets to E.J.'s performance at the Greek Theatre in Griffith park. I was only a few rows away from the stage. It was an amazing experience in such a small historic venue (photos) ...I tend to like his earlier music better. He's a complex artist and I have no idea how true-to-life the biopic is. But this particular scene with this particular song was powerful and subtle at the same time.
I saw him around the same time, Z, in Buffalo, NY, in a much larger venue. Amazed that he would come to my (relatively) small hometown. I don't know for sure, but that was likely due to the efforts of (believe it or not) Harvey Weinstein. At the time he was living in Buffalo and getting his start in show business as a rock concert promoter (aka "Harvey and Corky Productions"). I'm with you re preferring EJ's earlier music. Seem to recall hearing/reading somewhere that EJ mostly approved of that film. I'll have to look at it soon. Heard an old NPR interview w/him recently. He's quite self-effacing about his life trajectory. In re "The Crown" - It's playing on Netflix, and I'm not that interested in the royal family, but was curious how they portrayed all the Diana stuff ... so I watched the last few episodes only. I thought it so well done that I began to watch it from the beginning. What I'm really appreciating about it is that indirectly, it's a good history lesson. I found myself going to Wikipedia a number of times to learn about the individuals and events portrayed in the early 20th century.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Dec 23, 2020 2:20 pm 
A pause for a "seasonal" tune. Some (probably few) will remember that excerpts from this song by a strangely-named band I'd never heard of, was used as the background music for an L.L. Bean Christmastime commercial. I liked the sound of it so well that I researched on Google to ID it:
It seems to fit the times now; an upbeat reminder that things will get better, even if you feel like the "windows are painted shut".