Forum Index > Trail Talk > Can someone give the full story on winter parking for the Keechelus Ridge area?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
asdf

asdf
PostSat Dec 26, 2020 5:18 pm 
So the Price Creek West sno-park is closed for years now, invalidating lots of info on guidebooks and WTA. I see a lot of very angry comments online saying something about how homeowners in the area convince the groomers to plow them parking spots, and they get angry if you take them? Wanting to be a good citizen and still enjoy the area, what are my options?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostSat Dec 26, 2020 5:38 pm 
I recall a post on WTA showing a pic of a bent windshield wiper and a veiled threat of vandalism if people park in this spot. The post was removed but before that happened a conversation ensued how this was public land even if local cabin owners feel entitled to it. The photo even showed the reflection of the face of the poster in the windshield of the car which someone mentioned should be turned over to the police. I posted the same query a few years ago and this is the spot. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8026270&highlight=kecheelus+ridge

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Dec 26, 2020 6:16 pm 
You probably don't mean resort skiing, if you did you wouldn't be asking what your options are. You can park at some of the western trailheads, they fill up quickly and overflow. People snowshoe the road to Talapus TH, Annette is a popular snowshoe. None of this requires any parking pass, it's my understanding that NWFP isn't required in winter. Hyak is beautiful, you can snowshoe as far as you like along Keechelus and out on the dam. Gold Creek Pond is pretty but very short. There are roads that are snowmobile trails at the end of that road, as if you were going to the Mount Margaret TH. Amabilis is a popular route but very crowded and tediously long. Lake Easton is pretty in the winter, there are groomed ski trails and (I assume) good snowshoeing. All of this requires a Sno Park pass, groomed sticker too except at Gold Creek. Hex Mountain is extremely popular but I think it's not that crowded because parking is limited. Views all the way up. I'm guessing you don't want to drive further than that. Teanaway and Blewett are gorgeous though. About 5 miles in along roads 9712 & 9716 is a fantastic view Stuart and the Enchantments. This is a snowmobile trail, Sno Park pass required but no grooming sticker.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Dec 26, 2020 8:02 pm 
If the goal is Keechelus Ridge -- at this point there are basically two options: 1) Gold Creek sno-park 2) Kachess Sno-Park. With of these options you are looking at a fairly long tour. (18-20 miles) but all on "groomed snowmobile trails" so not entirely unreasonable. But more than double the distance from the days when you could park at the Price Creek West Bound and just about double the distance from the Kachess road / 4832 intersection (but there you probably need to factor in digging your own parking space.