Forum Index > Trail Talk > Hyak - Cold Creek - Okay to snowshoe with pulk with center closed?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostSun Dec 27, 2020 4:01 pm 
I learned that the Nordic Center at Summit is still closed. I'm trying to figure out if it is okay to snowshoe while pulling a pulk on Cold Creek given that the center is closed (if they're open they don't allow sleds). What is the general the situation on that road now? Is it getting usage? Thanks for any info!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Dec 27, 2020 8:29 pm 
The nordic center isn't open, so there is no ski patrol to tell you that you can't use a forest service road. The Hyak parking lot was crammed to overflowing and illegally parked vehicles were getting $200 tickets + towing fees. Hundreds of sledders were swarming over the lower slopes of Summit East , several injured sledders were taken off the hill in ambulances.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostSun Dec 27, 2020 11:11 pm 
Always a good idea to bring a megaphone to these type situations. That way you can just shout "GET OUT OF MY WAY!!!!" as you slide down, and be a part of these solutions instead of these problems these days

RichP

RichP
PostMon Dec 28, 2020 8:53 am 
Martin, It looks like you can use the Palouse to Cascades Trail from the Hyak Sno-Park. As you said, it's not plowed. https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/trip-reports/trip_report-2020-12-27-4212936458

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Dec 28, 2020 9:31 am 
Looks like if you AT the Hyak hill you will be Bowling for Sledders ☠️

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Dec 28, 2020 5:27 pm 
Took some virgin snowshoers to the pass today. First went to Hyak SP, road was gridlocked and not moving from road shed. Second, crossed 90 to try Kendall Road, Gold Creek, or Mt. Margaret, Ranger turned us around at Kendall all full. Third, went to Crystal Springs SP. Found parking and headed off through Dog Sled parking. Soon straps started breaking on old pair of MSR Denali’s. Quick repair with another strap, another broke fixed with ski pole strap, another same repair, another tied into laces, by the time finished eight straps had broke. Finished loop and headed home. Huge back up on Kendall road as we passed flashing blue lights. Finally, Massive traffic jam west of North Bend added 45 min. Fun times.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostMon Dec 28, 2020 5:39 pm 
Thanks all. Based on the comments we made sure we arrived at 8am at the Hyak sno-park, at which there we only a handful of cars. I wanted to try a pulk we bought, and we hiked out towards the lake and played there for a while with nobody close by. I learned from FB that the Mt Catherine loop was groomed yesterday, so it seemed best to stay off that route. When we returned at 12:30 it was a zoo around the sno park, and a long line all the way to the I-90 exit. Anyway, so it's possible to have a decent time there still, but you gotta be on time and walk half a mile to leave the crowds.

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostMon Dec 28, 2020 10:49 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Soon straps started breaking on old pair of MSR Denali’s.
Just curious. How old are those Denalis? It makes sense that the rubber would "age out" at some point. I wonder if our two pairs might be approaching retirement.

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Dec 29, 2020 12:02 am 
They are very old I got them maybe 6 years ago at a REI garage sale for $20 where they were rentals for who knows how long. The metal plates cracked a couple years ago and MSR replaced them for $5 apiece. They were fine all this time until today when they all broke. I think it is called a cascading failure mode. So it goes.

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostTue Dec 29, 2020 9:57 pm 
Thanks! That's just the sort of background I was looking for.

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
Geography Nerd
Beer Tester

Geography Nerd
Beer Tester
PostMon Jan 04, 2021 7:14 am 
This is pretty common for that vintage of Denali models, seems like they've improved the material? I've also had the crampons break on a few where it makes the 90 degree bend into the hinge pin. The Cascade Designs (MSR) repair shop in SODO is awesome and has fixed lots of gear for free. Unfortunately they're not open for walk in now due to COVID.