Forum Index > Trail Talk > Camping between Sand point and yellow bank
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kellbell

Kellbell
PostTue Dec 22, 2020 9:49 am 
Hello and happy holidays! It's been too long! For those of you who have braved the North Coast Route, I'm hoping for some advice. Going SOBO from Ozette, can we hope to camp somewhere close to yellow banks if the tide is not in our favor? The "caution" at 4.9 miles has me thinking we should just plan on camping at sand point...but that kind of messes with the next day. If I knew we could find a spot somewhere in that area, even if we couldn't make it to Yellow banks because of tides, that would help so much with our planning. Thank you all!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Dec 22, 2020 11:49 am 
South Sand Point is about half way between Sand Point and Yellow Banks. There used to be a privy there, but it has been several years since I have been there. Rumi PS: Check this map here to see where I am referring to.

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Dec 22, 2020 2:06 pm 
I've camped at South Point. It was ..... odd. https://trailcooking.com/2004/09/05/south-sand-point-backpack/ The beach is quite pretty, water was doable. I just didn't sleep well due to things I talk about in the post. But again, my husband? Slept like a rock. I'd love to explore more of the trail to Ozette Lake however.....

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Hoosierdaddy
Trophy Husband

Hoosierdaddy
Trophy Husband
PostTue Dec 22, 2020 4:46 pm 
You very well may be surprised at the speed/ease of the hiking that stretch. I went from Seafield Creek to Yellow Banks in an "easy" day, all while gawking, searching for petroglyphs and taking lots of pics. (Albeit, we did have a favorable tide at Yellow Banks)

God, I am going to regret this someday!
Kellbell

Kellbell
PostTue Dec 22, 2020 6:48 pm 
sarbar wrote:
I just didn't sleep well due to things I talk about in the post.
You didn't explain fully, though I'm guessing you were told there were spirits? I do love a good ghost story! And thank you, I didn't realize there was even an option in the woods. I think we will have to camp there and take our chances with the spooks, because we'll get there at high tide. You can check out my website too if you want biggrin.gif http://slowesthiker.com/

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Dec 22, 2020 7:02 pm 
Yes! He talked a lot about the spirits at night on the coast. That was Wrongbridge, who I met here on NWHikers. He's been gone 10 years now, miss him! But do check it out, it was a nice campsite and very relaxing. I've found Sandpoint a nice camp, spent a few nights there. Love the open woods.

graywolf

graywolf
PostTue Dec 22, 2020 10:09 pm 
sarbar wrote:
I'd love to explore more of the trail to Ozette Lake however.....
My wife and I hiked the Erickson's Bay trail to Lake Ozette this past August. It was her first time, and my first time in years - I've hiked it many times from the lake after kayaking down to the trailhead. You should hike it. It's in surprisingly good shape, and is a very pleasant walk. I've camped at South Sandpoint a couple of times in the past - no weird experiences on my part.

The only easy day was yesterday...
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Dec 23, 2020 12:04 am 
Kellbell wrote:
I didn't realize there was even an option in the woods.
At South Sand Point, there are a couple places to go up the high bank to clearings in the woods, one one of which has the privy. They should not be too difficult to spot. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Dec 23, 2020 7:40 am 
Just look for the circle overland crossing sign.

Kellbell

Kellbell
PostMon Dec 28, 2020 9:52 am 
RumiDude wrote:
PS: Check this map here to see where I am referring to.
WOW! What a great map!! Thank you so much

contour5

contour5
PostMon Dec 28, 2020 7:46 pm 
South Sand Point is a fine camping spot. I like the area on the South side of the South creek where the sand runs high and clean, through a big driftwood maze (Don't be here when the waves are high!). Much nicer than Yellow Banks where you usually have to camp in kinda grodey pits dug high into the hillside. Highly recommend the Custom Correct paper maps. They show the tidal choke points with the exact tidal danger level listed for each one. With a CC map and a tide table (plus a phone, a watch or a very keen sense of time) you're covered on Where, When and How High. I consider them indispensable. Plus they're kinda purty maps, if you happen to enjoy that sort of thing.

Kellbell

Kellbell
PostWed Jan 06, 2021 7:46 pm 
Also, looking at that map, I see that beach fires are not allowed at south sand point. Do you know if there are fire pits in the camping area?

seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostWed Jan 06, 2021 11:29 pm 
I camped at Sand Point several years ago - no fires allowed. If you camp at Alava, they are allowed, but Sand Point no.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostThu Jan 07, 2021 1:30 am 
Yea, no fires allowed from Wedding Rock to the point just before Yellow Banks. Rumi

Snuffy

Snuffy
PostSun Jan 10, 2021 12:31 pm 
We hiked to Chilean Memorial in November and definitely heard ghosts, people talking and dogs barking at night. There was no one there but us! We also did the Erikson's Bay trail to Ozette in September, was a highlight of staying at Sandpoint. The large trees and solitude while the beach was crowded. We did notice that folks use it to come over from the lake to the beach with dogs, however. Hopefully it doesn't happen often.

You don't find yourself standing at the top of a mountain without having started out in the valley.