Forum Index > Trail Talk > Cabin Creek Sledding Area
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Dec 26, 2020 12:39 pm 
Quick heads up for anybody who saw that they finally opened the lower trails smile.gif and wanted to go enjoy. It's ok now to walk in the skate lane as long as you're dragging a child on a tube or a sled. Viking and The Berg aren't one way for pedestrians. Some will glare at you. I didn't get the memo either.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostMon Dec 28, 2020 11:21 am 
These people need to be politely but bluntly confronted in person. Nobody cares what people say online.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Dec 29, 2020 12:26 am 
Huge mass of traffic today trying to get into the Hyak sno-park -- cars backed up both HWY-906 and on the Exit 54 off ramp. I went to Crystal Springs -- massive parking lot less than half full. Sledders enjoying sliding down massive WSDOT snow covered sand pile between the sno-park and Stampede Pass road. Dog sled and P2C trails not yet groomed. Icy and lumpy. Erling Stordahl trails were groomed this morning. Snowmobile trails appear to have been groomed within the last week. Road from off ramp and road surface in Crytsal Spring sno-park very icy. Saw some cars spinning and drifting (unintentionally) Glad I have "Mountain Snowflake" rated tires.

melc

melc
PostTue Dec 29, 2020 12:47 pm 
There is a lot of snow play chaos going on. Made extra worse by covid and I dont mean that people are eager to get out...think closed restrooms so people are doing their business in fire hydrant shelters and on private property. There really needs to be more places available for people to snow play away from ski hills and other groomed user areas. Need a few locations with parking for 500 or 1000 cars. If all the snow players are kept in a place away from other recreation then we would have more parking for ski area and backcountry skiers could also park at ski areas. Trailers were not able to make it in or put of Gold Creek Sno Park because snow players made the road too narrow by parking illegally. A few people were taken away on back boards over the past few days from around Hyak area. Is there any hope the state can create snow play areas?

babylero

babylero
PostTue Dec 29, 2020 1:52 pm 
The problem is there needs to be a large area, with sufficient elevation+snowfall, without trees, good run out, and has access to parking and highways. Not a lot of land that fits that description on this side of the cascades, unless the state were to clearly cut some DNR land and construct a facility.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostTue Dec 29, 2020 2:09 pm 
It doesn't need to be on "this side of the Cascades." Cabin Creek is already east of the pass. The Stampede Pass / Cle Elum / Roslyn (etc.) area is not very far and more sno parks around there would be helpful and attract a lot of people from the Seattle area.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Dec 29, 2020 2:48 pm 
The problem is.....population. No more snow play areas. Don't like it? Move to Idaho or Montana or.. Don't be moving here and then complaining about overcrowding.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
rossb

rossb
PostTue Dec 29, 2020 5:14 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Don't be moving here and then complaining about overcrowding.
I didn't move here. Neither did my dad. His dad did, so I guess he can't complain, which isn't a problem, since he died about 20 years ago, at the age of 103. So I guess since I was born here, I get to complain. Cool. Allow me to complain about the state not building enough facilities for the very large contingent of folks who just want to cheaply and safely play in the snow. These aren't people who want to spend huge amounts of money on expensive machines, or expensive skis (or expensive lift tickets) but just normal, everyday people who want to take their kids somewhere to play in the snow. It really isn't too much to ask. I'm not saying it will be easy, but compared to building three lanes of I-90 each direction east of Hyak, it seems pretty cheap. Pretty hard to argue that we need those extra lanes of I-90, but that we can't afford another place to go sledding. But hey, be my guest.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostTue Dec 29, 2020 10:44 pm 
Need to get a decent indoor sledding facility INSTALLED as part of this whole new northgate deal. Start pullin' these people away from the mountains

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue Dec 29, 2020 11:05 pm 
Is this a new problem or ongoing? If this year is especially bad then yes, it is too much to ask. No one was planning for how to ramp up snow play areas in case there was a long-term global pandemic driving massive increases in all outdoor activities. If it has been this bad for years, or close to it, then carry on with blaming state or federal inaction.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Dec 29, 2020 11:11 pm 
New problem.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostWed Dec 30, 2020 8:54 am 
I disagree. It is even worse right now than usual but I've thought for years that it's overcrowded and there are shockingly few options considering the wealth of snow and mountains nearby. I lived in Boston for 5 years and there were WAY more places to go XC skiing within 2 or 3 hours of the city than there are here.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Dec 30, 2020 9:22 am 
It's been crowded for years, but people and families sledding down the middle of the skate lane and then trying to use the force to choke you when you tell them it's a one way trail for everybody's safety and, again for safety, people need to walk on the edge of the trail - that part is new.

asdf

asdf
PostWed Dec 30, 2020 9:54 am 
Quote:
These aren't people who want to spend huge amounts of money on expensive machines, or expensive skis (or expensive lift tickets) but just normal, everyday people who want to take their kids somewhere to play in the snow. It really isn't too much to ask. I'm not saying it will be easy, but compared to building three lanes of I-90 each direction east of Hyak, it seems pretty cheap.
rossb, I completely agree. Plowing out a few other areas would cost a pittance, and I think it's obvious from the overcrowded sno-parks that the demand is there. I can't believe the Hyak sno-park costs $80/season and is still so crowded, it's nuts. The state needs to get on top of this. Population has increased by 20% or more in the last 20 years. Infrastructure needs to go with it.

asdf

asdf
PostWed Dec 30, 2020 9:56 am 
Foist wrote:
I disagree. It is even worse right now than usual but I've thought for years that it's overcrowded and there are shockingly few options considering the wealth of snow and mountains nearby. I lived in Boston for 5 years and there were WAY more places to go XC skiing within 2 or 3 hours of the city than there are here.
What we don't do out here is much in the way of managed parks, conservancies, and preserves. We just kind of throw our hands up and say, it's all NF land, have at it (oh yeah there's a few sno-park lots too). Which is great for a certain type of person. But we are not all that type of person all of the time, I reckon even the most hard core of us wants to just take the kids or nephews out somewhere easy once in a while.