Forum Index > Trip Reports > Tell me about your PNT miles!! Here are recent ones: Olympic Hot Springs and Larry Scott
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kellbell

Kellbell
PostTue Dec 22, 2020 7:21 pm 
After doing 500 miles on the Appalachian Trail when I turned 50, I thought I would just work slowly on completing the PCT. I am almost done with all of Washington (just the 30ish miles to the border left!) which will make 500 miles completed on the PCT. Then I got the idea to try and finish 500 miles on 5 different thru trails. The Pacific Northwest Trail is great for winter walking because there is quite a bit accessible close to me that really isn't too high...so that is what I've been up to. Plus I went through all my old hikes, and found I'd already done around 70ish miles without realizing it. So here are my TR's for my last couple hikes at the Olympic Hot Springs and the Larry Scott Trail. I'm dreaming of all my other hikes once the snow is gone (you'll see my goals on my blog post ) but I'd love to hear about your favorite hikes on the PNT biggrin.gif http://slowesthiker.com/blog/working-on-500-miles-of-the-pnt/ http://slowesthiker.com/blog/santa-hike-economy-boost/

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Dec 23, 2020 1:55 pm 
Any trail leading to an operating whiskey mill is a great trail. I gotta check out that trail!

Art is an adventure.
RichP

RichP
PostFri Dec 25, 2020 7:26 am 
I hiked a bit of it yesterday on Anderson Mtn north of Sedro-Woolley. You gotta really want it to complete the PNT in its entirety as there are some large chunks of road walking to connect the nicer areas.
6.5 miles each way of walking of this.
6.5 miles each way of walking of this.
PNT cutoff trail. I decided to stay on the road.
PNT cutoff trail. I decided to stay on the road.
Baker and clearcuts.
Baker and clearcuts.
Short scramble toward the summit.
Short scramble toward the summit.
One of several chairs at viewpoints.
One of several contenders for the highpoint.
One of several contenders for the highpoint.
Chuckanuts and San Juans.
Chuckanuts and San Juans.
Lyman Hil, another P3k.
Lyman Hil, another P3k.

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostSat Dec 26, 2020 10:52 am 
Anderson is a fun hike with interesting geology. First time I've ever seen a chair 'on belay,' no doubt to keep it from blowing into the forest below.
RichP wrote:

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
RichP

RichP
PostSat Dec 26, 2020 1:12 pm 
Thanks for your report, BB. It was helpful in finding that opening by the puddle. I walked right by it at first as it's not super easy to see. Pardon the thread drift: I noticed that a trail is cut out and descends from the highpoint down the north side of Anderson. I walked down it a bit but had a long way to get back out and turned around. Any idea where this trail goes?

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostSat Dec 26, 2020 1:26 pm 
It’s great to see how many miles you have been covering, Kellbell! I’ve been on some pretty sweet sections of the PNT such as the Boundary Trail from Iron Gate towards Spanish Camp in the Pasayten, which is classic high lonesome wandering, and this past summer took on the section from the Pasayten Airstrip up Frosty Creek to Frosty Pass and down the PCT. We brought saws on our eight day trip because we heard from the Forest Service that there were about 300 blowdowns to negotiate through that section. It was slow going and a lot of work, but I loved the solitude, (We saw only one person in two days) and Frosty Pass was gorgeous. Later in the summer the Forest Service got in there and cleared the blowdowns, but check before you go if you decide to try out that section, because if it’s not cleared again after this winter’s storms, it would be very slow going. Here are a few pics and you can see my full trip report, Slate Pass>Buckskin Ridge>Frosty Pass>PCT 8/12-8/19/20 in the Trip Report section.
Boundary Trail from Pasayten Airstrip, Slate Pass, Buckskin Ridge, Frosty Pass, PCT Loop 8/12-8/19/20
Boundary Trail from Pasayten Airstrip, Slate Pass, Buckskin Ridge, Frosty Pass, PCT Loop 8/12-8/19/20
Dead Lake swimming spot, Slate Peak, Buckskin Ridge, Frosty Pass, PCT Loop 8/12-8/19/20
Dead Lake swimming spot, Slate Peak, Buckskin Ridge, Frosty Pass, PCT Loop 8/12-8/19/20
Boundary Trail at Frosty Creek, Slate Pass, Buckskin Ridge, Frosty Pass, PCT Loop, 8/12-8/19/20
Boundary Trail at Frosty Creek, Slate Pass, Buckskin Ridge, Frosty Pass, PCT Loop, 8/12-8/19/20
Ascending Frosty Pass, Slate Pass, Buckskin Ridge, Frosty Pass, PCT Loop 8/12-8/19/20
Ascending Frosty Pass, Slate Pass, Buckskin Ridge, Frosty Pass, PCT Loop 8/12-8/19/20
Blizzard Peak from Frosty Pass, Slate Peak, Buckskin Ridge, Frosty Pass Loop 8/12-8/19/20
Blizzard Peak from Frosty Pass, Slate Peak, Buckskin Ridge, Frosty Pass Loop 8/12-8/19/20
Looking east from Frosty Pass, Slate Pass, Buckskin Ridge, Frosty Pass, PCT Loop 8/12-8/19/20
Looking east from Frosty Pass, Slate Pass, Buckskin Ridge, Frosty Pass, PCT Loop 8/12-8/19/20
Looking toward Canada, Slate Pass, Buckskin Ridge, Frosty Pass, PCT Loop 8/12-8/19/20
Looking toward Canada, Slate Pass, Buckskin Ridge, Frosty Pass, PCT Loop 8/12-8/19/20

Kellbell

Kellbell
PostTue Dec 29, 2020 9:27 pm 
WOW WOW and WOW!!!! NancyAnn those are incredible photos! So inspiring. Do you leave TR's on WTA or have a blog? I want details!!!

Kellbell

Kellbell
PostTue Dec 29, 2020 9:35 pm 
RichP wrote:
You gotta really want it to complete the PNT in its entirety as there are some large chunks of road walking to connect the nicer areas.
That's exactly why I decided there was no way I could complete the whole thing...well that, and the bushwhacking...and the fact in general so much of it looks just next level hard. But man, it would be SO COOL to be someone who could. I admire thru hikers so much. And this hike on Anderson Mt...where did you park, if you don't mind me asking.

Kellbell

Kellbell
PostTue Dec 29, 2020 9:38 pm 
Nancyann wrote:
you can see my full trip report, Slate Pass>Buckskin Ridge>Frosty Pass>PCT 8/12-8/19/20 in the Trip Report section.
Just noticed this doh.gif I will check it out!!!

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostTue Dec 29, 2020 10:41 pm 
Kellbell, the only place you will ever find my trip reports is on NWHikers. smile.gif

Brushbuffalo

Brushbuffalo
PostWed Dec 30, 2020 7:10 am 
Kellbell wrote:
this hike on Anderson Mt...where did you park, if you don't mind me asking.
Good hike! If you don't mind me answering for Rich, you can go here There are at least three ways to the top: 1) the PNT from the west, 2)a gravel road from the east off highway 9, usually gated, and 3) the mostly drive-up route from the south, assuming it is ungated. This DNR access road (Alger Mountain road) from the south is unlocked September 1 to December 31 annually. Good trip reports for Anderson Mountain abound on NWHikers including by Fletcher and Gimpilator, and on Jim Kuresman's website. Here is Jim's report for a hike from the west approach.

Brushbuffalo

Brushbuffalo
PostWed Dec 30, 2020 8:01 am 
RichP wrote:
noticed that a trail is cut out and descends from the highpoint down the north side of Anderson. I walked down it a bit but had a long way to get back out and turned around. Any idea where this trail goes?
Rich, it is my understanding that this is a reroute of the PNT so that hikers can avoid part of the annoying road walk in going over Anderson. It wasn't finished the last time I was up there (2017).

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostWed Dec 30, 2020 10:50 am 
One year I was camped at the top of Grand Pass and these 3 guys came cruising through at sunset. They were doing the re-route of the PNT trail. The portion past Hayden Pass was closed due to fire damage so they were going up and over Grand Pass and then walking the Obstruction point road eventually reaching the Whiskey Bend trail head. They were moving pretty fast, planned to make it to the Hurricane Ridge visitors center before dark. A funny bunch.
I spent another extremely windy night at Grand Pass. My bell-weather site for my tent needs - one that can withstand really strong winds. My Big Sky Chinook passes with flying colors. I had a Nemo 3 season tent that got destroyed up there...there was another guy there that night in an REI something or another tent. He had to take his tent down and wrap it around himself to keep it from getting getting shredded. This is why I use "4" season tents all year round.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.