Forum Index > Trail Talk > How to look extra dorky when hiking...
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
solohiker

solohiker
PostThu Mar 24, 2005 9:50 am 
Prince, gotta second marzit on the gaiters. Like you I often wondered about fellow hikers donning gaiters in ultra dry conditions - especially people that wore gaiters with shorts, made no sense. BUT then I figured out they're great anytime you're on an extremely dry steep trail where the soil is soft pumice. That stuff just pours in your boots and feels awful. Course I forget to bring gaiters most of the time (being summer and all) which is why I know how awful it feels. They're also good for looking dorky.

I have never been lost, but I'll admit to being confused for several weeks. - Daniel Boone
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
solohiker

solohiker
PostThu Mar 24, 2005 9:54 am 
hopalong wrote:
I felt pretty dorky when I was hiking up to the lunchcounter with a full camping pack and then I see Ed Viestures running down with a small fanny pack.
That's funny h-along because I feel dorky when I'm hopin' along with my fanny pack and pass people in a full backpack.

I have never been lost, but I'll admit to being confused for several weeks. - Daniel Boone
Karen

Karen
PostThu Mar 24, 2005 3:28 pm 
I'll spare you the photo but somewhere there's one of me wearing dark glasses, one of those thick gray wool balaclavas with a semi-brim that you never see anymore. They were sure ugly but they were sure warm (the balaclava, not the glasses). Then, of course, zinc oxide (does anyone use that anymore) when on glaciers or snow in the sun. A friend of mine makes mosquito nets out of tulle (the kind of material you make costumes out of, it's stiff and scratchy) that you wear like a scarf only backwards with the knot at the back of the neck. Anytime I've worn that contraption I've received strange glances from normal hikers. As for gaiters I wear them sometimes for no other reason than they seem to help me keep my boot laces tied (I've got the round laces). It gets tiresome after a while having to stoop down and retie them. It's a personal thing. Karen

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
TJD

TJD
PostThu Mar 24, 2005 3:52 pm 
I saw a guy about 70 starting up the Hamilton Mt. trail, with a vintage red push scooter with big hard wheels. I was coming down from the eight mile hike,and he said [Many rocks to deal with?]. I was dumbfounded and mumbled something.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostThu Mar 24, 2005 6:39 pm 
I was coming down from Rock Mountain, I was on the east side of the upper portion of the trail around 5500' and turned around due to the fact that the snow there was 5-10' deep and mush, I also decided to leave my snowshoes in the truck, so as I was getting down to around 4800 where the trail was dry and dusty I ran into a group of 4 hikers, a couple with shorts, tennis shoes etc..., probably came from the west where the mountain appears snow free shakehead.gif , anyway they asked me how it was and I told them you will probably be turning around shortly, told them about the snow and very steep slopes, they couldn't believe me, well as I was talking I looked down and my soft shell pants I was wearing with dual side zips, I had the zips on each side part way down and like I normally do my fly was down in front to aid ventilation, so I am talking to this lady and her husband and simply said, sorry, oh my, my fly is down, they laughed as I zipped the third leg in, kind of dorky, but what can you say, zippers up and zippers down, thats how it goes. wildernessed

Living in the Anthropocene
TJD

TJD
PostThu Mar 24, 2005 9:12 pm 
hopalong wrote:
I felt pretty dorky when I was hiking up to the lunchcounter with a full camping pack and then I see Ed Viestures running down with a small fanny pack.
Are you refereing to the south spur of Mt. Adams?

hopalong
Tree Climber

hopalong
Tree Climber
PostFri Mar 25, 2005 4:11 am 
Yup

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Mar 25, 2005 7:18 pm 
jenjen wrote:
Picture a blue striped floppy hat - the kind cruise ship tourists wear - paired up with big sunglasses, a ratty stained shirt, and convertible pants that are looking decidedly past their prime. That was me last year. nerd.gif
Sometimes Jen likes to wear the hat with some kind of lingerie coat thing and a prosthetic leg. Drives the boys nuts.
jen-in-hat
jen-in-hat

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Mar 25, 2005 7:24 pm 
WOW, that was really BAD! ML, I just dont know. Im not certain Jen deserved that one..... TB doh.gif doh.gif doh.gif doh.gif doh.gif doh.gif doh.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Cascade Dave
Livewire Blend

Cascade Dave
Livewire Blend
PostFri Mar 25, 2005 8:58 pm 
Jen, that is a *SWEET* pic!! up.gif You'd fit in with most of the folks I hike with - they've got an uncanny sense of humor! banana.gif

Poorly Planned Expeditions - Founded 2001
Cascade Dave
Livewire Blend

Cascade Dave
Livewire Blend
PostFri Mar 25, 2005 9:09 pm 
I never considered this to be especially dorky... ...but (about 12 or so years ago now) I used to hike with a small, white baby GUND stuffed Polar Bear peeking out of the back of my Kelty Redwing. I thought most people liked it - especially kids and shall I say, "older folks". However, I did get some snide/mocking comments from younger folks from time to time - strange. I kinda thought the little guy was cute. winksmile.gif

Poorly Planned Expeditions - Founded 2001
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Mar 25, 2005 9:12 pm 
Before I get a smackbum.gif I would just like to state that Jen posed for that picture. She was doing that on purpose. Ask her, she'll tellya!

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostFri Mar 25, 2005 9:33 pm 
On the other hand, here's a very pretty pitcher of Jen. She reminds me of the heroine in one o' my favorite novels, Tess of the d'Urbervilles, in this photo. Jen is nothing like Tess, but here she looks like Tess in that one setting, right before she gets - well, I won't say it. It's too depressing. Anyway, I like this photo.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostFri Mar 25, 2005 10:38 pm 
Yes, I did actually pose for Marylou's photo. And yes, those were actually the clothes I was wearing on that hike. (laugh if you want, that netting thing is great for keeping the bugs away) And, revenge will be had.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Mar 25, 2005 10:55 pm 
Quote:
And, revenge will be had.
Yes, this worries me......could be uhhgly. paranoid.gif