Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > New depths of stupidity
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Dec 31, 2020 4:53 pm 
Also pre GPS. Was up near the end of the Twisp River Road when a double trailer semi with a cargo of many sheep flagged us down. He wanted to know if he was on the North Cascades Highway. English was not his first language. I do not know how he turned around. Perhaps it is best not to know.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Dec 31, 2020 5:32 pm 
Road Closed signs are for other people, just like dogs must be on a leash signs.

jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostThu Dec 31, 2020 8:12 pm 
Years ago the cheap gas station maps - given as freebies - showed a thin local road connecting the end of the Chewuch and the Toats Coulee/Iron Gate road. They ARE close - maybe a mile and a 1/2 apart, but 2000’+ vertically. It was always disheartening to see people stop and say “Loomis is about 30 minutes ahead, right?”. No, I’d say...”it’s about 3 hours back the way you came” Similarly, some of those same maps showed ‘Gilbert’ as a real town at the end of the Twisp River. “Where can I get a sandwich in Gilbert” one driver asked me? “Sorry, I said, the store is closed - you are about 80 years late!”

HikerJohn

HikerJohn
PostThu Dec 31, 2020 11:06 pm 
Someone reminded me that this wasn't the first dumbass move in the mountains this year-- this was just last month! Truck driver trying to get to Yakima discovered Chinook Pass was closed, and Google routed them via Forest Road 70. He should have had a hint when the pavement stopped, but he kept going! He finally got to a hairpin turn on the way up to Government Meadows and lost traction and the trailer slid into a ditch. The driver walked out until he caught a ride back to town and reportedly refused to go help extract his rig.
They did finally get the truck down with a substitute driver, but they had to drag the trailer down using a Class III towtruck until they got to a place they could turn it around. https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/125881919_10218064884229512_5997779934747319493_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&ccb=2&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_ohc=NQl6Q0Are8MAX_Ke-Ob&_nc_oc=AQmmNZjHrmHRraMr3yz9twfn-FU8f0OoEYjoXgZFoutXZrGI2nR--HeS6-vJ3h3hF8c&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.xx&oh=4a7a1226d0c5cfb342c861a72e883572&oe=60138054

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Jan 01, 2021 2:18 pm 
Because you really CANT fix stupid!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
car68
Out on the skids

car68
Out on the skids
PostFri Jan 01, 2021 5:59 pm 
"The driver walked out until he caught a ride back to town and reportedly refused to go help extract his rig." Actually this is false, he was transported to a local hospital for a medical issue which may have been a factor in his driving on the 70 in the first place.

I'm the guy 911 calls.
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostFri Jan 01, 2021 6:20 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
I can think of two similar attempts where the GPS said it was the way to go, even though the snow got deeper and deeper and the signs said road not open in the winter...but GPS said it was.
Reminds me of the last time I used "Shuttle Express" from SeaTac Airport. It had been a while since I last flew, and in the meantime, SE had apparently started hiring drivers with scant knowledge of the city, and had their drivers using GPS for navigating. I'd never experienced such circuitous city route-finding. Once deciding on "delivery order", the driver would have been better off taking directions from the passengers. The drive home took so long I swore never to use SE again.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Brucester

Brucester
PostSat Jan 02, 2021 12:02 pm 
Sometimes you don't need signs to see signs?! lol.gif A short story because I'm old and feel the need to share my lack of wisdom: I was driving up to Stampede Pass long ago in the snow with my '91 Nissan Hardbody 4x4... The drive seemed fine, snowy.... Something about driving on snow... It's fun! When I got to the pass I had realized I was driving on snow, a ramp of snow, when I reached the pass I was on top of over a foot of snow. I felt fortunate to have gotten that far without chains. It was fine until I tried turning around. Then reality set in... Minutes later up pulls a train of a half dozen F8000 Super Duty's.... I was pushed out by hand like the good old days. I didn't even need to leave the drivers seat! But I did get out, to shake hands, it was the polite thing to do prior to 2020... But others stories of misfortune such as jumping snow banks has a guy (or gal) wondering was the snow bank the first clue? No sign needed.... Or were they just thinking, "just send it" it'll make a good story for later?

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Jan 17, 2021 6:35 pm 
It's impressive what can happen when the most important safety feature of any vehicle (The nut behind the wheel) isn't in proper working order. A local example is the Sweyolocken Boat Launch in Bellevue https://www.q13fox.com/news/body-of-north-bend-man-found-in-water-off-bellevue-boat-launch https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/women-trust-gps-drive-suv-into-mercer-slough/ I think because of these sorts of incidents the city has installed a gate between the parking lot and the ramp -- there is no lock on the gate -- just a magnet to hold the gate closed -- but the gate bar covered with highly reflective tape. It's a pretty non-descript boat launch -- the ramp is muddy and uneven. It's a useful place to launch a canoe or kayak for bird watching in the Mercer Slough or perhaps a paddle on Lake Washington -- but it's not a particularly good place to launch a ski boat, what with shallow water, an abundance of reeds and a tiny parking lot.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon Jan 18, 2021 9:38 am 
The Sweyolocken boat launch. Great place to canoe, poor choice for a drive.
Mercer Slough Natural Area.
Mercer Slough Natural Area.