tmatlack
PostFri Feb 20, 2009 10:23 am 
Sheahanmcculla wrote:
Dane wrote:
Sheahanmcculla wrote:
Where you my teacher?
I hope he wasn't your English teacher clown.gif
Nope...Mythology, so anything goes, even bad spelling. banghead.gif
Shea, If you can't remember the 12 Gods of Olympus and what the Vikings called their Day of Doom, I'll go back into your records and change your grade to a "D!" And since your "where" is incorrect, you owe 30 minutes detention. shakehead.gif shakehead.gif shakehead.gif Tom

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostTue Dec 29, 2020 6:38 pm 
Last week we sauntered along the Robe Canyon trail through tunnels 6, 5, (4) and into 3. Today we managed to get to the Kissing Tunnel #1. Ya gotta want to see it though. But if you do it's railly fun.

Jake

Jake
PostTue Dec 29, 2020 7:08 pm 
On the hill above tunnel #1, is an old Japanese railroad workers camp where the Japanese workers lived that kept the tunnel open during the days the railroad was in operation. Not much left up there now, except maybe some old tubs and pots and pans. More of an “I’ve been there brag” than a place of interest. So, I’ll mention it here without too much fear the place will be ravaged by antique collectors.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Dec 29, 2020 9:31 pm 
Riverside Laker wrote:
Last week we sauntered along the Robe Canyon trail through tunnels 6, 5, (4) and into 3. Today we managed to get to the Kissing Tunnel #1. Ya gotta want to see it though. But if you do it's railly fun.
Did you go across the remnants of the concrete bridge that is about 18" wide with a fall that would likely be fatal below? I think it is just past tunnel #4? When we went I crossed that but had quite a lot of vertigo so on the way back I went around it on the hillside to the north which is still a bit sketchy. I recall that someone died there a few years back, I wonder if that's where they fell? Also, we turned back shorty after that, how much worse does the trail get beyond there?

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Dec 30, 2020 10:44 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Did you go across the remnants of the concrete bridge that is about 18" wide with a fall that would likely be fatal below? I think it is just past tunnel #4?
That "bridge" by #4 was once a retaining wall. The water eroded under it and took out all the soil from the bank. It's a long way from there to #1, which was right across the river from the end of the Lime Kiln trail.

ree

ree
PostFri Jan 01, 2021 10:51 pm 
the old road is overgrown
the old road is overgrown
thick forest, nothing resembling a trail or boot path
thick forest, nothing resembling a trail or boot path
the last couple hundred feet got pretty steep and slippery
the last couple hundred feet got pretty steep and slippery
concrete retaining wall 120 years old
concrete retaining wall 120 years old
a few rail remnants
a few rail remnants
a rail spike
a rail spike
close up rail
close up rail
It was only when we hiked up river a ways that we could spot the opening of the tunnel. The opening was obscured by slide debris, but we picked our way up to check it out.
lots of fallen timbers
lots of fallen timbers
we couldn’t see the end of the tunnel, and had a lot of water in it
we couldn’t see the end of the tunnel, and had a lot of water in it
outside osculation
outside osculation
looking up from the entrance.
looking up from the entrance.

Jimbo

Jimbo
PostSat Jan 02, 2021 9:53 am 
Out standing, I'd forgotten about this place. So did you fallow the dirt road then bank off to the right ? Was looking at Topo, looks like the cribbing has fallen. Such a big back pack for a day trip.

Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
ree

ree
PostSat Jan 02, 2021 8:53 pm 
Jimbo, yes we followed the road which curves right, then left. We passed the place where shooters like to kill clay pieces. After that, the road gets quite a bit more brushy. We ultimately turned right off the road into the forest. We seem to get a fair amount of comments about the large packs we carry. In this particular case, we brought helmets, and Steve carried rope and harnesses, not knowing what we would be in for. As it turns out, we managed without the rope (belaying ourselves with ferns), but glad to have the helmets. The last 50 feet was steep and slippery and we did have to scramble down a slabby, small waterfall. We are ready with our essentials and are prepared to spend the night out if we run into trouble.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Jan 02, 2021 9:48 pm 
Thanks for the photos. I’m sure I will ever be bored or adventurous enough to attempt to make it to tunnel #1...it looks the same as the other tunnels and I am not really seeing the “Love”. Is the road you are referring to the one on the south side of the MLH, about 2/3 the way up Sand Hill, and has a yellow gate?

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
ree

ree
PostSat Jan 02, 2021 10:37 pm 
Yes. I think what made this interesting was that there were a lot of rails - more so than the Robe Valley trail. And seeing the fallen roof timbers. Also, it’s pretty obvious this tunnel gets very little visitation. There’s hardly a relic so close that doesn’t get picked over. Or sprayed with graffiti.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Jan 02, 2021 11:34 pm 
A couple weeks ago the gate was open off and on and then I saw some kind of big work truck leaving one afternoon. I assume it was a county work crew of some sort, wonder what they were doing? Also, do you know how close the terminus of the Lime Kihn trail come to tunnel #1? I also wonder if the river could be forded in the summer to reach the tunnel? And one more ?...have you reached the #1 tunnel via the usual trail that follows the river?

Jimbo

Jimbo
PostSun Jan 03, 2021 11:21 am 
There are 2 gated roads going up the hill. This adventure is the first I think, about 10 years ago a buddy and me took the upper road to the river after work. Came to a large clear cut before we dropped off a cliff, sketchy. Onto the rail bed on the river, we headed up river to see what was there. Long story short is was a long days end. We came to a closed off tunnel #3 ? had to scale the wall above river to get around it. Sketchy. We made it to the main trail from the TH just as sun was sinking. Had to walk down the MLH to our rig in the dark. So this is the only section we haven't seen. Seen where the bridge once crossed at the lower side of #1. Didn't think there was a cliff to get down to see this tunnel. Good to know.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Jan 03, 2021 3:11 pm 
Jimbo wrote:
Onto the rail bed on the river, we headed up river to see what was there. Long story short is was a long days end. We came to a closed off tunnel #3 ? had to scale the wall above river to get around it. Sketchy.
Pretty sure this where we turned around, there are a couple of ropes to assist you on the trail near this tunnel. There was a guy who fell and died on this trail a few years ago, not sure exactly where it happened and have been unable to find a link.

Jimbo

Jimbo
PostSun Jan 03, 2021 8:59 pm 
From what I remember it was off the concrete thing. Was with his Girl Friend, never found his body. Well I hope to have a look before the brush starts to pop.