Forum Index > Trail Talk > Colorado SAR: Rescue Helicopters Are Not An Uber
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Jan 03, 2021 9:18 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
One of our own SAR guys has another take - in the thread on PLBs and hiking solo, Schroder said, " ...if you're going solo in the backcountry off-trail and don't have the means to be located with the technology that's available today, you are irresponsible. The easy solution also is to find a friend."
While I appreciate Shroder's insight and wisdom, I don't agree that it's always "irresponsible" to not implement the newest technology into one's outdoor experience, to me that is somewhat of a "sweeping generalization". wink.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Roy Jensen

Roy Jensen
PostMon Jan 04, 2021 12:05 pm 
Maybe it is time to consider accident insurance for outdoor activities? The main reason I joined the American Alpine Club was to access their basic accident insurance program. The European Alpine clubs all offer insurance to members to cover accidents. I would never recreate in Europe or Nepal without appropriate accident insurance. Accidents (or incidents) in the mountains will always be with us. More users means more incidents. I am thankful for the rescue services provided by the military services, counties and volunteer mountain rescue organizations in this country. Maybe it is time to professionalize these services? I would rather the users community dictate the nature of rescue services rather than politicians whom might not act in our best interest. I believe that reliable responsible rescue programs are in the best interest of all outdoor users. Yes some will abuse the system but I believe that will be the exception rather than the rule.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Jan 04, 2021 12:23 pm 
Insurance companies would love to sell us all accident insurance. SAR thinks it would make their work more dangerous. I think we should listen to SAR on this one. smile.gif

Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Jan 04, 2021 12:32 pm 
Roy Jensen wrote:
Maybe it is time to consider accident insurance for outdoor activities?
The problem with that is the people who need it most frequently would never buy it - the casual weekender that gets in over their head. You also need an army of volunteers for large searches & professionalizing wilderness rescue tends to work against that. Sending people a bill after-the-fact has never worked. As for my comments in being irresponsible in not utilizing the latest technology - the context of this was in a couple of massive searches for a couple of "experienced" soloists for whom their searches consumed the entire annual budgets of the search agencies. I myself prefer having a partner with me up on a mountain than relying on the tech. If you want to commune alone with nature, go do it in a place where you can be easily found.