Forum Index > Trail Talk > Ideas for recovering ring stolen at trailhead
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Jan 05, 2021 11:11 am 
Many who are addicted were first prescribed drugs by medical people. For sure time pharma companies gave incentives to doctors. Especially true in Appalachia but even occurs in King County.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
asdf

asdf
PostTue Jan 05, 2021 11:14 am 
Story time. When I was in drug education (part of health class) in high school, we learned that opiates were highly addictive. As did almost everyone, I'll wager. Couldn't have been more clear. Later on, I had a doctor prescribe me 30 days of opiates after a minor procedure. He said there wasn't any risk of addiction. I knew that was BS. I took them for 3 days for the acute pain, and then tossed the rest out. I just used tylenol for a while. Anyone who read anything on the subject - including typing "are opiates addictive" into google - knew these were highly addictive. Those who believed the docs saying "no, it's fine" were kidding themelves IMO. They wanted to take the drugs, and used the doc as an excuse. Now I agree there are people in such awful daily pain - from cancer, injuries, and such - that they almost had no choice. I feel terrible for them and the bind they're in. But that's a tiny percentage of all of those who are addicted. In the end, well, pain is part of life, and we all suffer it from time to time. It's not something to be fixed, it's something to learn to live with. Kind of like emotions.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
fn1889m

fn1889m
PostTue Jan 05, 2021 11:51 am 
I’m not making excuses for the guy that stole the ring. My original posts were just to say that there are complex causes for why ring was stolen, one of which is addiction, and we are not really dealing with that cause. The thief is still responsible for his action. But so are a lot of other people. As rational people we can deal with this in a comprehensive way, consistent with justice. But not if we only treat it as an isolated theft. As a society, we refuse to recognize the complexity of our problems because it’s too darn much work, if they are not simple. But they’re not simple. I am so angry at public leaders who live in a world of scripted one-liners, feeding off the frustration of their constituents, with no public benefit. So sometimes it feels good to say something. I’m sorry. I am recently retired, and now just want to go hiking and fly fishing, after 40 years of dealing with these problems. But I don’t leave anything in my pickup anymore, at the trail head. With respect to the OP: File a police report about the ring, and get your case number for insurance purposes. Get an appraisal from a family jeweler. File the theft as a claim on your homeowners insurance, or have your daughter do that if she’s an adult.

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostTue Jan 05, 2021 11:52 am 
asdf wrote:
In the end, well, pain is part of life, and we all suffer it from time to time. It's not something to be fixed, it's something to learn to live with. Kind of like emotions.
Americans in a nutshell. Desperate need to avoid pain through any means available. In my view we all feel pain in life, the expectation that there will be no pain is what causes suffering. Expectation in general is the source of so much suffering. Pain is the "check engine" light of our system. If you check the engine and the pain is not causing further damage, move on. If it is causing more damage get it fixed. I've had 2 major injuries where the doctors prescribed way too many opiate drugs. I shattered my hip in 1992. I had to strongly protest being given opiates when asked to do PT. I was "no, I want to be able to feel if I'm doing too much". They looked at me like I was crazy. You must avoid pain at all costs. It really wasn't all that painful to move about, it actually felt good. In 2002 I broke my shoulder. Again they loaded me up with opiate drugs. It was a good thing just after the injury, but after the surgery no more! My 85 year old Mom had hip replacement surgery a few years ago. They prescribed her a 100 count bottle of some type of opiate. She took maybe 2. The rest went to one of the drug drop-offs. She has 3 grand kids living with her (see below). I made sure to get that sh## out of her house ASAP! I have a lot of "real" life experience with drugs and alcohol. I survived where many of my acquaintances did not. In the house I lived in during college I was the only one who graduated. The rest were happy to drink and drug their lives away. My sister drank herself to death a couple of years ago...why couldn't she have been a pothead instead!? Alcohol is the worst of the worst - mainly due to it's social acceptance and it's insidious affects. I've heard the argument: "We don't know if marijuana has dangerous repercussions so it should be banned - while we know full well the disaster that alcohol is - destroys families, unbelievably addictive, kills thousands of users every year, kills thousands of innocents on the roads, all proven facts with years and years of data. So its the "possible" effects that are scary while the proven ones are disregarded. What might happen is scarier than what is happening. Sounds like a political philosophy. And in the end it all comes back around to: Prescription Bias?

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Jan 05, 2021 11:56 am 
Yes -- it is a complex issue -- I think the moralizing over "individual choice" is a defense mechanism to support the notion "It can't happen to me". I feel that is a bit delusional -- I think it can and has happened to many people that believed "there is no way I would let that happen to me, junkies are losers" Case in point. https://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/28/us/rush-limbaugh-arrested-on-prescription-drug-charges.html

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Jan 05, 2021 1:02 pm 
Junkies ARE losers.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Jan 05, 2021 1:19 pm 
My Mom has a lot of pain from leg swelling from diabetes, her doctor prescribes her 90, 325 oxycodone every month, but she doesn't take near that many, she only takes them when the pain gets intense and if no pain she doesn't take them at all. A friend who worked with recovering addicts and also was on pain meds himself told me that one does not usually get addicted to pain meds if they only take them when they are in pain. I know someone will chime in soon to say that's not true, it has been in my Moms case as sometimes is pain free for several week, doesn't take any pill and has no withdrawls. I keep some around because I have had sudden onset of extreme pain from kidney stones, it can come on quickly, once hit me in the middle of the night while backpacking at cutthroat lakes. Getting out of there and then all the way to Everett while passing a kidney stone was not fun, so now I keep some on hand always. There is no way in hell I would ever throw out leftover pain pills, since one never knows when they might need some.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostTue Jan 05, 2021 1:35 pm 
After a knee replacement 10 years ago I got a scrip for 50 or so oxycontin...dont recall the dosage. I’d never used opiates for pain (other than codeine for dental stuff) and was leery of them, and only took the required dose for a couple days after I left the hospital. I didnt have much pain, just slight discomfort, which I managed with tylenol or Ibuprofen. I did use 1/2 a tab at nite - just to sleep easier - for maybe another week or so. At 2 or 3 weeks I was back at the Surgeon. “How’s your pain?” he asked. Not bad at all, I replied. “Do you need more pain meds”, he asked. No, I said, I have plenty - I’ve only used 8 or 10. “Here”, he said “better have some more”, as he handed me another scrip for 30 or so more. I filled it and never used any of them. I kept them thinking I might need some in a real emergency, but finally threw out about 70 or 80 pills, a couple years ago. It just is inconceivable that they are that easy to get. Or, were.

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostTue Jan 05, 2021 1:38 pm 
I had major surgery in late May for an intestinal blockage. The second night I had severe cramps, but they didn't dare give me any more morphine (would have put me in respiratory failure). The next morning the surgeon switched me to Tylenol (intravenous) and the pain stopped. If, Lord forbid, I ever need surgery again, I'll insist on Tylenol instead of opiates!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostTue Jan 05, 2021 1:58 pm 
I've been prescribed opiates twice in my life and ate the whole script both times. No regrets. No addiction. (Alright I saved two pills for my emergency kit from my wisdom teeth surgery but that's all) That being said, one should consider how mental health, age, upbringing, support system, financial health, and other factors may impact someone's judgement making skills before comparing their actions to someone else's.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostTue Jan 05, 2021 2:25 pm 
I found a ring one time in the durt. Buried in the durt. No way to find owner.. Got it praised guy said it was plastic!!! Valued at under a dollar!!! Told him I was lookin for more stop wastin my time!! He even dared use the word toy!!!!

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Jan 05, 2021 3:01 pm 
I can tell you one thing, if any of y’all who throw perfectly good pain meds away, if you ever pass a kidney stone or maybe have sudden excruciating tooth pain, you will wish you had kept them. Especially if it’s a weekend or the other option is waiting hours in the emergency room to try to get some relief. Why waste them? From what I understand, they don’t really go bad. But hide them, so a drug addict doesn’t find them!

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostTue Jan 05, 2021 3:51 pm 
This is some serious thread hijack, no longer addressing the OP's issue of recovering his ring. rolleyes.gif So I'm going to lock this thread. If people want to discuss the nexus of drug addiction and property theft, etc. please start a new thread in the Saloon. But I wouldn't recommend it; Too conflict-ridden a subject for NWH forums. If anyone else has ideas for OP CascadeClimber about recovering his ring, please PM him at this point.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood