Forum Index > Trail Talk > USFS closes some areas along SR 20 to motorized winter use
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Jan 01, 2021 12:29 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
What do you mean by ski 20 when the road is open?
Example 1: Sally Portman's Birthday tour https://wenatcheeoutdoors.org/2017/01/17/washington-pass-birthday-tour-2/ Example 2: Cutthroat Pass ski traverse http://trailcatjim.com/cutthroat-pass-ski-traverse-porcupine-creek-to-cutthroat-creek/

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
rossb

rossb
PostFri Jan 01, 2021 6:15 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
What do you mean by ski 20 when the road is open?
I mean they drive up in the spring or fall (when the road is open) and then ski off to the side (in the area that is now protected or similar spots). I was simply clarifying an earlier comment. In winter (and only winter) 99% of the people who ski those areas access the areas. But there are plenty of people who ski it other times of the year, when they simply drive to the trailhead.
Randito wrote:
rossb wrote:
I still contend more people ski the area when the road is open than when it is closed.
This is certainly true -- but it isn't particularly relevant to managing the conflict during the winter
Fair enough, I just wanted to clarify, as lots of people don't understand overall usage (case in point, Cyclopath). It is easy to assume that few people spring ski, but that really isn't the case (not around here anyway). We have some really, really nice spring ski places (good corn snow is second only to good powder, and has a lot less risk). If you are getting into it, this is nice to know. Oh, and by the way, I don't think your original point is relevant either. No matter how they get to *that area*, folks don't want to deal with snowmobiles in *that area* for various reasons (safety being the most important, but not the only one). That isn't different than any other place, really. Most people arrive at the trailhead via a (stinky, noisy) car, but once you venture out into the wilds, you don't want to experience a motorbike. (Cyclopath is different -- he sometimes rides his bike the whole way -- which is awesome smile.gif)

Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Jan 04, 2021 4:21 pm 
jinx'sboy wrote:
I’ve been hearing more stories about increased conflicts in the area.... This may be the reaction: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd870163.pdf Closure map at bottom of the Order.
Cool! At least I can still use the snowmobile up to the summit of Liberty Bell from the east!

Art is an adventure.
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Jan 05, 2021 9:59 am 
Probably old news, but just in case, the gate on the east side has been moved to Early Winters.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
ale_capone

ale_capone
PostWed Jan 06, 2021 9:22 am 
Stefan wrote:
Cool! At least I can still use the snowmobile up to the summit of Liberty Bell from the east!
Was this you?

Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Jan 06, 2021 10:48 am 
Its a lot harder going UP than coming DOWN! : )

Art is an adventure.
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Jan 06, 2021 9:50 pm 
That's flat out insane! Also looks like a great way to start an avalanche. Good thing I'm not adrenaline junkie, I would have been dead years ago.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
ale_capone

ale_capone
PostFri Jan 08, 2021 7:09 am 
The guy who made that video is a longtime sled skier from the methow. Wildland firefighter/pro skier, Stevens pass superstar, "bird". He's been in the last couple warren Miller videos. That adrenaline rush is great, but the odds don't favor longevity. Not long after this was filmed, Mike Schaefer had a speed flying accident. He tried a low barrel role and crashed. Smashed down hard and broke his back high in the alpine. Heli rescue, massive surgery, dudes kicking around on x country skis already.