Forum Index > Trail Talk > Best one-way routes starting on WA-2?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
_fx

_fx
PostTue Sep 01, 2020 2:05 pm 
I have the opportunity to get dropped off somewhere generally along Highway 2, and picked up elsewhere a few days later. Any suggestions on how to make the most of this? Most guidebooks (obviously) focus out-and-backs or loops, and trawling my topo map is getting a bit overwhelming. In general, I can average around 17-20 miles per day. So, looking for something around 35-70 miles. PCT Section J was my initial thought, but I'm nervous it will be overly crowded due to Labor Day weekend. My next idea was heading towards North Fork Skykomish or Sauk, but I don't know much about the trails in-between. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Secret Agent Man

Secret Agent Man
PostTue Sep 01, 2020 3:29 pm 
I don’t know how perfectly the mileage works out without doing some measuring on a map but my first thought was Stevens Pass to Chain Lakes to Frosty/Ladies passes to Icicle Ridge to Leavenworth.

rossb

rossb
PostTue Sep 01, 2020 3:40 pm 
I think I would get some maps. Green Trail maps are great for this. The Stevens Pass 176S map covers pretty much anything you would do south of Highway 2. You could start at Stevens Pass and come out at Deception Creek. To make the trip longer, there are various side trips you could make, including a lot of lollypop loops. If you go north, a lot depends on how far someone is willing to go away from Highway 2 to pick you up. You could start and end at Stevens Pass, which means some overlap. But there would be some very nice lolly-pop loops around the Dishpan Gap area. If you want to avoid overlap, and your friend was generous, you could be dropped off on the RapidRiver Road, off the Beckler River Road. That would get you in deeper quicker. To get an idea of what I mean, I recommend a couple maps: Benchmark 144, and Mountain Loop Highway 11SX. I think no matter what, you will do more back and forth if you go north. Either way, you can't lose (assuming the weather is nice).

rossb

rossb
PostTue Sep 01, 2020 3:50 pm 
Secret Agent Man wrote:
I don’t know how perfectly the mileage works out without doing some measuring on a map but my first thought was Stevens Pass to Chain Lakes to Frosty/Ladies passes to Icicle Ridge to Leavenworth.
Yeah, that looks good. It can be extended by ending at Surprise Creek or Deception Creek. Either way it is a completely one-way trip (no overlap). Oh, and for a trip like that, you want the Stevens Pass map I mentioned (176S) plus the Alpine Lakes East Stuart Range 208S Map. It is a bit confusing, as Green Trails has rectangular maps that don't overlap, and they have special ("S") maps that cover a bigger area.

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostTue Sep 01, 2020 5:55 pm 
Drop off Highway 2 and get picked up on Icicle River Road Pick your path through the Chiwaukum

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Sep 01, 2020 7:39 pm 
If your are into off trail travel, Consider heading up the Miller or perhaps the Foss and pick up Becky's Alpine Lakes High Route to get to Tank lakes then traverse over Mt Hinman descend toward Pea Soup Lake, climb to Dip Top Gap , Decend to Jade and Marmot lake , over Deception Pass tromp the road a bit, climb over Paddy Go Easy Pass and then Meadow Creek, Icicle Creek then over Windy Pass to to Eightmile Creek. If you are really spunky you could finish by an Enchantments traverse, but that would require a very long final day to avoid camping in the Enchantments overnight permit zone.

timberghost

timberghost
PostWed Jan 06, 2021 8:13 am 
That's a bad idea. Where did you end up going?

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Jan 06, 2021 12:22 pm 
timberghost wrote:
That's a bad idea. Where did you end up going?
Gustov's of course http://www.gustavsleavenworth.com/

asdf

asdf
PostThu Jan 07, 2021 8:35 am 
I have planned a few one-ways using a combination of:
  • A large fold-out topo of the Alpine Lakes area, not sure of the scale, but it's useful for a general overview
  • Laptop with caltopo open
  • Coupla Green Trails maps

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostThu Jan 07, 2021 10:57 am 
For a trail less traveled... You could do partial section of the Pacific Northwest Trail Multiple Access points around Lyman, Hamilton, or Concrete on Highway 2.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Gil

Gil
PostThu Jan 07, 2021 11:46 am 
Up the Necklace Valley, over La Bohn Gap, down to Williams Lake, down the Middle Fork, a visit to Goldmeyer Hot Springs, up the old Rock Creek trail to Snow Lake, and out to Alpental. Not many people have done that.

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostThu Jan 07, 2021 3:43 pm 
Is your ride willing to take you on a long dirt road off Route 2? Or must the drop off be right on a highway? Since you're considering Section J, I assume getting picked up along a different highway at the end is OK. Assuming a dirt road is OK, I would get dropped off at the Little Giant or Spider Meadows trailhead and go around the east and north sides of Glacier Peak to the Suiattle River, Lost Creek Ridge or NF Sauk trailheads, depending on how many days "a few" is. Although be aware that the Lost Creek Ridge ending option would require some route-finding and finding a log crossing around the White Chuck.

canadug

canadug
PostFri Jan 08, 2021 12:02 am 
Check out naturalatlas.com It has most trails on it. I would absolutely avoid the PCT.....It is pretty well a gong show....Especially on long weekends or most anytime during the summer months.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Jan 08, 2021 2:09 pm 
canadug wrote:
I would absolutely avoid the PCT.....It is pretty well a gong show.
It's true that the PCT between Stevens and Snoqualmie is pretty dang busy -- but it is also incredibly scenic. The section from Snoqualmie Pass to Dutch Miller Gap particularly so. A loop using the PCT + Dutch Miller + Rock Creek + Snow Lake trails gives you a ~50 mile trip without the complications of a shuttle.

Carbonj

Carbonj
PostSat Jan 09, 2021 8:40 am 
Agree with Randito, great loop, many lakes to swim and some great peaks to climb.