Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Giving up Netflix
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostFri Jan 01, 2021 6:31 pm 
Granted, I'm a fussy film-watcher most of the time. But it seems lately that Netflix has really cut back on their streaming offerings - it doesn't matter what category I browse in, they seem to keep suggesting the same number of limited titles. It's as if they're relying more on their self-produced material (some of which is quite good). But I finally tapped out; they had nothing I was keen to watch on New Year's eve. So I cancelled. Going to stick with Hulu for a while; I signed up for a free month just to see how good (or bad) the re-do of "Black Narcissus" would be. Now I'm sticking around to binge-watch "Boston Legal". But on New Year's eve I watched an entertaining old James Bond flick. With 2020 on the cusp of being gone, I wasn't in the mood for heavy stuff of any kind. One thing I discovered a few years back is that the Connery era James Bond plots were more interesting; ie, relied less on "special effects".

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostFri Jan 01, 2021 9:12 pm 
I've been paying for Amazon, and about a year ago began coasting on a friend's Netflix account. After comparing them, my impression is that on average, Amazon offers moderately smarter content while Netflix leans a bit more toward empty calories. Granted, they're plenty of exceptions either way, just a general sense on balance.

"Forget gaining a little knowledge about a lot and strive to learn a lot about a little." - Harvey Manning
neek

neek
PostFri Jan 01, 2021 9:41 pm 
We get Kanopy for free from the Seattle library. Quite limited selection, but enough for me. Quality has been bad lately though and I don't think it's my internet.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostFri Jan 01, 2021 9:57 pm 
neek wrote:
We get Kanopy for free from the Seattle library. Quite limited selection, but enough for me. Quality has been bad lately though and I don't think it's my internet.
I'm familiar w/Kanopy; some good stuff in there. But only 6 allowed views per month. Very inconvenient with the "how to" programs. My biggest quality complaint with Kanopy is that the volume is consistently too low. I don't own a TV and my main streaming device is a laptop; not always convenient to plug the old PC speakers in.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Jan 01, 2021 11:13 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
Going to stick with Hulu for a while;
If you are on Hulu -- Rick and Morty season 4 was recently released -- but that may not be your cup of tea.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Jan 02, 2021 7:57 am 
I cancelled Netflix, then reupped to watch something, now I'm off. I am finding entertainment for my simple mind on YouTube. There are so many old "film noirs" to be found there. I do pay for Britbox also, but have run through Hercule Poirot once again so I now remember who The Killer ees.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Jan 02, 2021 9:13 am 
For those using Kanopy, you should probably also be able to sign up for Hoopla using your library account. 10 streams a month, has music in addition to movies and TV shows.

seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostSat Jan 02, 2021 12:53 pm 
We get Kanopy for free from the Seattle library. If you are still attached to a university (employee / faculty / student / alum), you might be able to get a larger selection of Kanopy movies. I have two Kanopy accounts - one through the Vancouver Public Library, and the other via a research university where I teach. The university has a film program, and therefore the Kanopy library of offerings is much larger.

asdf

asdf
PostTue Jan 05, 2021 6:57 pm 
It looks like KCLS gets Kanopy as well. Thanks for the tip, had not known about that.

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostWed Jan 06, 2021 8:23 pm 
Ya'll need Plex and PassThePopcorn.me

asdf

asdf
PostThu Jan 07, 2021 8:33 am 
zimmertr wrote:
Ya'll need Plex and PassThePopcorn.me
No, thanks. I prefer not to steal content.