Forum Index > Trip Reports > Latest on the Iron Goat
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dick B

Dick B
PostMon Jan 04, 2021 11:12 am 
My son recently sent me a link to a video that a guy did on the history of Wellington and the slide in 1910. Part of the video showed him going into the old tunnel up to where it has caved in. I don't know when the video was shot, but it still shows the tunnel open. For any of you that have been up that way this summer, is it still open or have they closed it off? It looked pretty dangerous in the video. I have made several visits to the site over the years with various people. As a kid we made many trips over the pass. Some of the early trips were made when the old highway went from Scenic, up Tye Creek where it tied into the original RR grade then followed it up and over the pass.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostMon Jan 04, 2021 12:57 pm 
When were you there last. They have done a lot of work on the trail and it turned out quite well

Dick B

Dick B
PostMon Jan 04, 2021 4:01 pm 
Sky Hiker A friend and I hiked from the west end to the windy point tunnel back in the mid 90s. That was as far as the trail went at that time. Then we visited Tye and explored below the snow shed. My son and grandson were last at the Tye end in 03. I believe the trail had been completed at that time. Parking and signage was in. We hiked part way into the tunnel and there was daylite at the other end so no cave ins.

CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostTue Jan 05, 2021 10:28 pm 
I assume you're talking about the old Cascade Tunnel, not one of the other collapsed tunnels on the trail. Yes it's dangerous, the tunnel has a decreasing grade from east to west. The collapse is a few hundred yards from the west portal (i.e., at Wellington) and has blocked the tunnel creating a dam and thus an approximately 2-mi-long underground lake. It has blown out twice, the first time taking out all of the puncheon at the entrance. We never found some of the puncheon sections, which weighed tons. There is signage at that end explaining this and the short trail to the tunnel entrance was decommissioned, but of course people still go to portal and the entrance is not fenced off. It has been stable for the last 10 years or so, but the lake is still there. The east portal on the other side of the pass has been fenced off as the concrete lining of the tunnel is falling off in places.

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
timberghost

timberghost
PostWed Jan 06, 2021 8:05 am 
Please go drain the swamp!!!

Dick B

Dick B
PostWed Jan 06, 2021 9:51 am 
CC. Thanks for the update on the old Cascade Tunnel. Between the possibility of cave ins and floods, it's not a place I would go into and explore again. Is there a chance of the Forest Service having liability in case of injury for not closing off the west portal as they have done on the east?

Brucester

Brucester
PostFri Jan 08, 2021 9:49 am 
Mobile Instinct on YT? Good video's. Interesting. Another video of logging equipment at St Helens, fuel truck looked neat in the video. Looked for it while on trail but chickened out because signs said no off trail travel.... Party poopers.

Dick B

Dick B
PostFri Jan 08, 2021 1:29 pm 
Yes that's the one.