Forum Index > Trip Reports > Robe Valley Tunnel # 1
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Jan 03, 2021 9:11 pm 
Jimbo wrote:
From what I remember it was off the concrete thing. Was with his Girl Friend, never found his body. Well I hope to have a look before the brush starts to pop.
Wow, kind of figured that. With the heavy flow of water, I imagine his body could be trapped under a log jam. I was hiking with a female myself and she walked across like it was nobody's business...I hesitated a while and followed her but didn't like it one bit, plus my vertigo was enhanced by a bit of a hangover. On the return I just could not get myself to cross it again after she did with no problem of course, good thing there was an alternate, yet still scary alternative. Veronica (NWH) is one fearless Chica! paranoid.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Jan 05, 2021 9:03 pm 
Jimbo wrote:
From what I remember it was off the concrete thing. Was with his Girl Friend, never found his body. Well I hope to have a look before the brush starts to pop.
I finally found the link, I think 7 years ago sound about right, how time flies. https://www.arlingtontimes.com/news/hikers-body-recovered-from-trail/

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
ree

ree
PostFri Jan 08, 2021 2:28 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
From what I remember it was off the concrete thing.
Is this the "concrete thing" you're talking about? If so, this is near Tunnel 3. Falling off this thing would be fatal, and there's a bootpath that goes around to the right that is scrambley but likely more forgiving in a fall. Tunnel 3 is collapsed about 200'? into it. We thought about going around it on the left but it is very dangerous - slippery, no foot or hand holds, and heads up at a 45° angle. Below this spot is a cliff straight into a raging river. It's clear people have gone that way before, but it wasn't for us. Tunnel 4 doesn't look like a tunnel at all - it's more like a cut, as the roof was blasted off in 1911. Tunnel 2 I think you may need to cross private property to get to it. It's not very close to any of the other tunnels. The west entrance of the Kissing Tunnel (Tunnel #1) is closer to the Lime Kiln Trail, and I believe it's there where it is collapsed. The pictures I posted on the previous page are from the east entrance of Tunnel 1. I agree that it isn't as interesting as some of the other tunnels. It certainly looked more dangerous (fallen or precarious cribbing/timbers) than the other tunnels. We were curious if we could get to it, and indeed we did.

Jake

Jake
PostFri Jan 08, 2021 2:48 pm 
Yes, that's the suicide cribbing people fall off of. Yes, you cross some private property to get to tunnel #2, but I think it's all timber company property and and I never did see any no trespassing signs. But it's been many years since I visited the site. Easy to get to unless it's posted no trespassing. Just follow that old logging road half way up Sand Hill to it's end and walk toward the river. Like tunnel #4, number 2 was made into an open cut by the Northern Pacific in 1911.

Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Jan 08, 2021 5:22 pm 
ree wrote:
That's one of the bulkheads that was just outside the tracks. I remember when this was almost all filled in. Here's an early photo of the track out that tunnel
By Frank H. Nowell - The Argus (Seattle, Washington) Christmas issue 1916.
By Frank H. Nowell - The Argus (Seattle, Washington) Christmas issue 1916.

ree
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Jan 09, 2021 10:49 am 
ree wrote:
Is this the "concrete thing" you're talking about? If so, this is near Tunnel 3. Falling off this thing would be fatal, and there's a bootpath that goes around to the right that is scrambley but likely more forgiving in a fall. Tunnel 3 is collapsed about 200'? into it. We thought about going around it on the left but it is very dangerous - slippery, no foot or hand holds, and heads up at a 45° angle. Below this spot is a cliff straight into a raging river. It's clear people have gone that way before, but it wasn't for us.
Yes, that is the concrete retaining wall I spoke of. I went across it going west, but took the trail coming back, we turned around not far beyond it, around the cliffy area you speak of.