Forum Index > Trip Reports > Goat Mountain (Easton) 09 Jan 2021
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostSat Jan 09, 2021 11:09 pm 
A famous quote attributed to Albert Hale Sylvester says that "there are more goat mountains than mountain goats left in the northwest". This is yet another "Goat Mountain", but this one with a twist, it is not named because someone once have seen a mountain goat nearby. In this case near the summit of the mountain there are two rocky cliffs that look like goat horns, hence the name. I have never seen them in summer, but according to the mountaineers the upper horn looks like this in summer:
And this is how it looked today:
You might notice that it looks like this Saturday me and Cookie found the only place in the whole state of Washington, where it was snowing heavily the whole day, it was cold, and I couldn't see more than 2 feet in front of me. I'm lucky this way. We started directly from Easton and made our way behind Manohan mountain to get to Goat. The snow was crusty at first, but deep and fluffy above 3000 feet. Lots of snowshoe hare footprints. No signs of human. We also saw a whole flock of wild turkeys. They are so funny but wanted nothing to do with us. They were walking through the forest, but disappeared as soon as they noticed me and Cookie. We also met the very pretty douglas squirrel. Lots of deep snow trailbreaking for me made the day longer than expected, plus I didn't wake up early. But we were back at the car before sunset anyway. Mountaineers say Goat mountain also has views of Stuart Range and even Mount Tahoma on a sunny day. Well, everything is possible, but I saw nothing.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Blowdown
Sawin' Logs ...

Blowdown
Sawin' Logs ...
PostMon Jan 11, 2021 6:40 pm 
Love the contrast on the upper horn between summer and winter. And even though the visibility was poor, it looks like you and Cookie got some great views anyway! up.gif up.gif

kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostMon Jan 11, 2021 7:27 pm 
Blowdown wrote:
Love the contrast on the upper horn between summer and winter. And even though the visibility was poor, it looks like you and Cookie got some great views anyway! up.gif up.gif
Thanks! It is always good to be outside in the snow with Cookie and see wildlife too. Wide views are optional, it would be very boring if the sky was always blue and sunny.

KascadeFlat

KascadeFlat
PostTue Jan 12, 2021 7:26 am 
Awesome write up! You always manage to find cool, tucked away places to go adventuring. smile.gif

For a good time call: 1-800-SLD-ALDR.
mtn.climber

mtn.climber
PostThu Jan 14, 2021 3:30 pm 
Hi Kitya, Where did you start this from? WTA has a couple of different starting options. Did this hike appear to cross any avy terrain? Thanks.

Reach for the sky, cuz tomorrow may never come. Live the life of love. Love the life you live.
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostThu Jan 14, 2021 4:53 pm 
mtn.climber wrote:
Where did you start this from? WTA has a couple of different starting options. Did this hike appear to cross any avy terrain?
This hike is entirely in the forest, the slopes are steep, but I have not seen or crossed any avalanche chutes. I think this hike is avalanche safe except in the worst of conditions. I started from the town of Easton. There is an old logging road (completely overgrown, but you can see it on the map) right near to Tucker creek in a gap between two mountains, right after Monahan mountain. I can give coordinates by a private message, if you want. It is under power lines (Bonneville I think) and it appears snowmobiles go there. According to caltopo there is a parcel of state land, but most of the surrounding land is private and "no trespassing" signs are everywhere. I think wta describes an approach from the other, that one is more on public land, but it will be impossible to get there unless you use a snowmobile. There is also no real public anywhere around. It appears if you want to get in winter to Cabin, Monahan or Goat, there is really no easy legal way to do so.