Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Great Field Seminar
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostMon Jan 11, 2021 11:28 am 
The North Cascades Institute is offering a field seminar after a 1 year COVID hiatus. I signed up already for what will be a fascinating outing. Here is the link. https://ncascades.org/signup/programs/spring-snake-count-in-the-methow-valley

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon Jan 11, 2021 12:15 pm 
Man, that opening photo for the seminar is something else. Should be a fun class. Thanks for alerting us. ~z
Quote: Join field biologists John and Scott for an intimate look at Eastern Washington’s reptiles and amphibians in the magical Methow Valley! Located on the sunny side of the North Cascades, we’ll spend our day in the field searching for these remarkable critters in sunny meadows and dramatic canyons while also learning about the latest scientific research on local populations. Together, we’ll survey for snakes in drier climes, going through areas near an active den sites hopefully increasing the probability of finding a variety of snakes.

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostMon Jan 11, 2021 5:12 pm 

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Jan 11, 2021 5:38 pm 
No thank you.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Jan 11, 2021 6:53 pm 
I know it's irrational but I'd rather run into a griz than a rattler. Even garter snakes give me the willies. eek.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Jan 12, 2021 8:04 am 
I had a close encounter with a small one last fall. Couldn't do a darn thing. I was riding my bike and my dog had run by the snake first and when I saw it, it was coiled and ready to bite and I had no time for correction. Obviously, I survived. On the ride back, it was still in the road but listless. I wonder if some of the vehicles had stunned it or even run over it but no squishing was evident. Yup, I stopped to try to figure out why it was still there. Grew up amongst the things and killed quite a few. We did not hunt them. If they were seen near the house, they were dispatched. Our farm dogs would keep the snake cornered whilst we humans went to grab a shovel or hoe or thing that must not be named. If it was a bull snake, it was carried off and released so it could escape the dogs. Bull snakes were good snakes, rattlers were bad snakes and that's just the way it was.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostTue Jan 12, 2021 8:30 am 
To this I will attest: Rattlesnake Canyon on the east side of the Methow valley is the real deal! paranoid.gif

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Jan 12, 2021 9:29 am 
There used to be a lot of the critters on the town side of McClure. I worked for a guy who was deathly afraid of snakes, but he could point out all the dens around Twisp.

flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostTue Jan 12, 2021 10:18 am 
Northrup canyon trail has a grassy section loaded with the suckers! It freaked out my friend so badly we had to turn around.