Forum Index > Trail Talk > Honey and/or Mowitch Lake (Between Sunday Lake and Middle Fork drainages)?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
HikerJohn

HikerJohn
PostTue May 02, 2017 11:54 am 
Been thinking about my next off trail exploration and wondered if anyone in recent history has been up to Honey and/or Mowitch (not to be confused with the one near Rainier-- this is the one above Sunday Lake off the North Fork of the Snoqualmie). As a kid, my Dad and I hunted up on the roads in Quartz Creek area and I remember looking over the edge of the hill down towards these lakes, but now that I'm older, thinking about exploring a bit further off the beaten track. ????

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue May 02, 2017 12:56 pm 
BARUSH BAASH CITY if youre thinking about getting there from Sunday lake. Done that. WHEW! Up Quartz creek. Honey looks more accessible than does Mooooooooowich.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
HikerJohn

HikerJohn
PostTue May 02, 2017 9:39 pm 
Joe, have no appetite for fighting the brush up Sunday Creek, so it would certainly be from Quartz. Did you get to the Lakes from Sunday or just an assessment based on the brush and crap around Sunday Lake?

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostTue May 02, 2017 10:31 pm 
I tried getting to the tarns on the ridge above Honey Lake last fall. I think flatsqewrl brushed some of the old roads heading up Rooster out last fall, but I don't think you'll get through the road heading left that used to lead up toward the ridge. But it didn't look too bad going cross country there. I just ran out of time to do it myself, but I still want to make it up there. Please report back whatever you find.
This is where I finally gave up trying to follow the old road. It's in the middle of the creek basin and completely overgrown with alder.
This is where I finally gave up trying to follow the old road. It's in the middle of the creek basin and completely overgrown with alder.
I was looking for this sign, which I now know was near the one of the tarns up there. The photo is part of the George Lewis bio page on the Trail Blazers site.

flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostWed May 03, 2017 6:16 am 
Hiker john, several days ago I went up Quartz creek and to the tarns above Honey lake...of course the brush was snow-covered and travel was pleasant. I assume you are asking about summer travel. Last november/oct my sister and I brushed out the spur road heading up to rooster and the tarns only as far as about 3,400ft - right as the basin below rooster starts to open up a bit. The road that crosses the drainage ( and stream) west from our last clearing point is intensely overgrown. My 2 cent opinion is that just for ease of travel, within a few weeks perhaps would be a good time; snow pack will not need snowshoes ( one can hope) and the avy danger is safe enough. Of course its a steep descent,,,but maybe contouring down to Honey lake from the low pass just west of the tarns. Best of luck doing this in the summer!!

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostWed May 03, 2017 12:13 pm 
FWIW, old maps show a trail down to Honey Lake and that sign confirms that one existed. I've also talked to one person who was there in the 70s who said some of that trail was constructed with rock support below grade. A "boot path" would have been eaten by the brush years ago, but a constructed trail may still be visible in spots.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed May 03, 2017 2:02 pm 
Good god that brush looks intense.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon Jan 11, 2021 3:46 pm 
Mosey let me know that a WTA report from last summer by kidz won't hike has a photo showing the sign is still up there.
July 20, 2020
July 20, 2020

HikerJohn

HikerJohn
PostMon Jan 11, 2021 4:50 pm 
Cool Puzzler.... Those are cool signs... glad no one has stolen it! J

Stefan-K

Stefan-K
PostTue Jan 12, 2021 10:07 am 
Wow! Those were some well made signs! In the 30+ year difference between the two photos (2020 and sometime pre-1989) the rust spots on the signs are almost identical. If the folks who nailed them on had been a little more careful and not chipped the enamel (I'm assuming that's what it is) those signs would be impeccable today. Amazing. Hate that phrase but gotta say: "they don't make 'em like that anymore"

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostTue Jan 12, 2021 10:32 am 
The pic from the Trail Blazer website was taken 25 July 1982.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Stefan-K

Stefan-K
PostTue Jan 12, 2021 10:55 am 
nice. Thanks for that Brian and thanks for the Trail Blazer link puzzler. The George Lewis bio is great, makes me wonder why he died relatively young given the almost super human fortitude ascribed to him in the bio. Sorry if this is a bit off topic...

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostTue Jan 12, 2021 1:23 pm 
George Lewis was a really interesting guy. Here's a great article the Washington State Gymnastics History site: George Lewis: The Father of Washington Women's Gymnastics. He is also in the USA Gymnastics Hall of Fame. The most notable thing about his short bio there is that they stole his photo from the sign shot on the Trail Blazer website. I met George but it is one of my great regrets that I never got to hike with him which was completely my fault.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostWed Jan 13, 2021 10:52 pm 
Fascinating information on George Lewis, and thanks for the date of that photo, Brian. The Washington State bio says "George graduated from high school in 1939 and worked for about 6 months with the CCC Camp at Waskowitz near North Bend." I wonder if he worked on the construction of the CCC road? I know workers came from that camp and the year is right.

H. Hound

H. Hound
PostThu Jan 14, 2021 4:24 pm 
A coworker that bagged those lakes a few years ago refers to Honey as Honeybucket. They mentioned it was a bit brushy getting down to the lakes.