Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Them counter top convection cooker oven things
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
asdf

asdf
PostFri Dec 18, 2020 9:32 pm 
We have an air fryer but we don't use it that much. Takes up too much space. It does work fast though.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Dec 19, 2020 7:39 am 
I'd like to make my own fries out of home grown potatoes with no grease or oil. Another seems like wasteful thing to do in the big oven, and hard to get them just right. My potato crop was not very big this year.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
neek

neek
PostSat Dec 19, 2020 8:46 am 
treeswarper wrote:
I'd like to make my own fries out of home grown potatoes with no grease or oil. Another seems like wasteful thing to do in the big oven, and hard to get them just right. My potato crop was not very big this year.
I had the same thought, but found that stuff just doesn't seem right without oil. Plus it can still stick. Tossed cauliflower with olive oil, salt, and pepper last night and cooked in the air fryer at 400F for 20 mins. It was excellent. Not any better than oven roasting, but faster and less energy intensive. One thing I forgot to mention--the fan is very loud. As asdf mentioned, the pieces take up lot of space. And except in summer, I like using the oven, because it heats the house. So I'm still not really sold on the whole thing. Potatoes I just do on the stove in a cast iron skillet. Cut into wedges so they only have to be flipped once. The important thing is to get the temperature just right so they are brown and crispy on the outside, and cooked all the way through. Also in a skillet you can easily add garlic, rosemary, etc. toward the end--not as simple in an oven or fryer.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Jan 09, 2021 9:17 am 
I ordered a small one. It's supposed to be here on Monday. It's one of those round bowl like ones. If I like it, I can throw it in my trailer and use if I camp where power is available. Stay tuned. I have frozen fish waiting.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostTue Jan 12, 2021 5:34 am 
I'm a little late to this thread, so this probably isn't useful, but what the heck... I have a countertop convection oven very similar to this one: https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-TOB-200-Rotisserie-Convection-Stainless/dp/B00MVWGQQC It's not a Cuisinart and for the life of me I can't remember the brand. I got it as a housewarming gift from my parents when I bought my house because the built-in oven didn't work. That thing saved me from having to deal with replacing the built-in oven for several years. The rotisserie feature was great for small roasts up to 3 lbs. I never did try a chicken on it, it would've had to be a small chicken. But I did bake a lot of cut up chicken in it, as well as fish and small pizzas. I stopped using it though because I missed my full-size oven. The countertop unit was too small for full size pizzas, turkeys, big pans of enchiladas and lasagna, (I'm getting hungry) and other larger items. So, I replaced the full sized oven and packed up the countertop unit and put it in the attic, which is why I can't just walk over to the kitchen and tell you the brand name. I hope the one you got works great, but if you find you want something a little bigger or with a rotisserie, something like that Cuisinart should be perfect.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Jan 12, 2021 7:54 am 
It's supposed to arrive today, or tomorrow, or yesterday. For big stuff, Don't know why, but I don't like my stove oven. I do need to clean it and maybe that would take care of the smell, and I did have a turkey juice slopping incident on Christmas, and the kitchen layout is not the best to open the door...but for the little things, I'm hoping the little oven will be an improvement, if it arrives. Amazon seems to be having problems since Covid began. This is a 1950s era house. It is quite solid feeling and seems to be well built, but cooking odors linger. I have an exhaust fan over the stove, but it does not seem to be enough. I opened a door up right after the turkey juice slopover to help air out the smoke.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Jan 12, 2021 1:47 pm 
Hmmmm, it is bigger than I guesstimated. May have to find a little table for it. It will be tried out tonight. Not much of an instruction book came with it. I'll have to research online.

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostTue Jan 12, 2021 4:30 pm 
I just watched a chef doing a live webinar on how to cook with an air fryer. My wife's work enrolled them all in online culinary courses. Last week we learned proper knife skills. #1. Reduce heat 25 degrees from conventional recipes, but cook for same amount of time. For the best home made hand cut fries.. cut and cook for 10 minutes on 350. Remove for several minutes, season, then finish at 400.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Jan 12, 2021 7:13 pm 
The frozen, breaded fish were excellent. Not soggy like they get in a pan in the regular oven. I cooked them a long time because I read on reviews and a site where a guy cooks in one occasionally to add time. Perhaps the shorter cooking time would be on the ovens with top and bottom elements. Mine is not a top of the line model and the heat is in the top. I can always upgrade in the future. Next thing to try out is to wash the bottom, which is basically a heavy glass bowl. One pours water in and turns the dial to CLEAN. I've let it cool off, of course.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostWed Jan 13, 2021 1:11 am 
Made a sandwich in one of them. Made a sandwich.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Jan 13, 2021 7:11 am 
BigBrunyon wrote:
Made a sandwich in one of them. Made a sandwich.
Musta had a lot of cheese in it.