Forum Index > Trail Talk > good backpacking destinations east of the Cascades?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
pula58

pula58
PostTue Jan 12, 2021 11:27 am 
Well, Thanks to Richp we discovered Ancient Lakes. We like that place as a good alternative when the Cascades are too stormy. We would love to learn of some other places East of the Cascades, where we can do some 1-2 night backpacking trips. But, qualifier, we wouldn't want to drive a whole lot farther (from Seattle) than the length of drive to Ancient Lakes. Any suggestions? Much appreciated! Thanks. P

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Jan 12, 2021 12:03 pm 
But most of the other destinations are long, long drives: Selkirks Wehanna-Tucannon Eagle Cap Quick overnights might be possible at Oak Creek (early season - summers are too hot, dry, and snakey) Lower Tieton (as above)

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostTue Jan 12, 2021 12:46 pm 
Ski, Oak Creek. Did fires burning in adjacent drainages burn through the most common trails area last season?

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostTue Jan 12, 2021 12:53 pm 
Juniper Dunes

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Jan 12, 2021 1:26 pm 
Pyrites - I have no idea about fires over there. It's been a few years since I was on Oak Creek. I believe last time I was over there we walked up the Tieton River Trail. Not a lot of "trails" per se on Oak Creek, other than the wildlife trails and hunting trails (which are much farther up the drainage.) The lower end (which has the only open, flat areas) is more a "drive to" destination. I did an overnight up on Rattlesnake Creek (upstream from Nile) years ago. Not the most scenic area, and I had to walk in a few miles to get past the crowd that drove their Jeeps and 4x4's up the trail and turned it into a mud wallow. I didn't encounter any rattlesnakes. Lots of bugs, though. https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/okawen/recarea/?recid=58477

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Jan 12, 2021 2:19 pm 
Are you looking for places to go now, or from now til summer? Places available in early spring aren't ready now, but will be this spring and early summer before the west of the crest melts.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
pula58

pula58
PostTue Jan 12, 2021 2:45 pm 
we're looking for some good places to go now (winter).

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Jan 12, 2021 2:49 pm 
The places I mentioned above are most likely not even accessible right now, other than maybe the lower Tieton, and you'd have to drop all the way down I-5 to exit 68 and go over White Pass, or over Snoqualmie and then take a circuitous route down into the Yakima Valley. Drive time might be a deal-breaker.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Jan 12, 2021 3:36 pm 
Douglas Creek? Which should be in flood mode soon, if not now, so you need to pay attention to that. Was reading WTA reports on it, which reminded me that most people drive through the creek in a way that digs it deeper. That used to infuriate my mom, who had to go through it every week day to get to work. You don't have to go through it fast. The road is rock and solid. Just go through slowly. I haven't been back there for about 3 years and the creek does change course.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostWed Jan 13, 2021 8:24 am 
There are other places over there just as scenic as Ancient Lakes. I have camped at the mouth of Tarpiscan Creek numerous times. Drive south of Wenatchee past Malaga until the road ends below the Colockum SWA HQ. Walk the old road until it splits, go left and descend past a burned out gate. The 2014 flood destroyed all roads but you can still pick your way down via a few different routes. To find the road split you may need to use satellite maps, there is very little left to see on the ground. There is some great scabland terrain around Frenchman Coulee, enough for an overnighter if you are not the type to try to cover as many miles as possible as quickly as possible. Plenty of exploring to really cool spots, freshwater lakes for drinking water, and you can camp anywhere I think. The Goose Lakes Plateau south of Moses Lake has some good backpacking options. You will have to figure out which areas are open to overnight stays. More driving though. Car camping at Sun Lakes is a good option if the campground is open. There are great day hikes in the area. More driving though.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
pula58

pula58
PostWed Jan 13, 2021 2:54 pm 
Do you suppose the water in Tarpiscan Creek is safe to drink if boiled? Or, is it contaminated by agricultural runoff?

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostThu Jan 14, 2021 8:11 am 
pula58 wrote:
Do you suppose the water in Tarpiscan Creek is safe to drink if boiled? Or, is it contaminated by agricultural runoff?
There is zero agricultural development in the drainage of Tarpiscan Creek, it is pristine. There used to be one road going up there, but it was obliterated in the 2014 flood. There also used to be cattle grazing down at the mouth on a private inholding, but the cows were fenced from getting upstream onto the SWA. And even that ended in 2014 because the inholder can no longer get down there in his truck. I have drank from Tarpiscan creek unfiltered for decades.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
pula58

pula58
PostThu Jan 14, 2021 11:39 am 
Sculpin wrote:
There is zero agricultural development in the drainage of Tarpiscan Creek, it is pristine. There used to be one road going up there, but it was obliterated in the 2014 flood. There also used to be cattle grazing down at the mouth on a private inholding, but the cows were fenced from getting upstream onto the SWA. And even that ended in 2014 because the inholder can no longer get down there in his truck. I have drank from Tarpiscan creek unfiltered for decades.
Thanks so much for the info