Forum Index > Trail Talk > St helens info
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostWed Jan 13, 2021 9:30 pm 
Hey all sorry I been gone for a while life was busy this summer. Long story short, looking to do st helens soon. I have aire 1 and know how to use nwac but I find that current information for St Helens summit is not frequently found. It looks like avalanche terrain is fairly easy to avoid on the worm flows route, but was wondering if anyone has experience climbing it around this time of year and has any advice. I know March is more the usual time to climb, but I'd like to avoid the spring crowds. I have all the necessary gear, just wondering if anyone has advice on the climb around January or February, or if anyone has been up recently and has info that would help. Thanks!

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Jan 13, 2021 11:37 pm 
April-June are the most favorable months. The last time I summited in June I was able to ski to within 10 feet of the Marble Mtn Sno-park. During the winter months the general snow conditions above timberline is some form of sastrugi due to strong prevaling winds. Reccommend ski crampons and at least one self-arrest grip ski pole. Also stay well back from the crater rim e.g. 50-75 ft at least -- there have been multiple cornice collapse fatalities from people either trying to peer into the crater or get that summit selfie. https://www.heraldnet.com/news/mount-st-helens-climbers-death-shows-danger-of-cornices/

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Jan 14, 2021 12:42 am 
I went up on May 5th. perfect conditions. like Randy said: stay back from that rim at the top!!!!

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostThu Jan 14, 2021 1:22 am 
Randito, Thanks for teaching me a new word. Best.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostThu Jan 14, 2021 11:29 am 
Thanks for the info. I will keep an eye on conditions and hopefully find a good day to make it happen. I won't be on skis, but snowshoes/crampons with an ice axe.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
babylero

babylero
PostMon Jan 18, 2021 2:14 pm 
Also planning on going In Early May assuming I can land a permit.

Kascadia

Kascadia
PostMon Jan 18, 2021 6:41 pm 
One will often see trip reports for Helens on WA State Hikers and Climbers (Facebook).

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostTue Jan 19, 2021 9:48 pm 
Nothing specific to Mt St Helens itself to report. But I was in the area this past weekend. Unfortunately, this was the best picture of St Helens I managed to get after all that driving:
Bashful
Bashful
There was no snow at the Marble Mountain snow park when we were there. We hiked/spiked/snowshoed a loop to and from June Lake. We set out with intentions of connecting from June Lake to the Swift Creek Ski Trail by way of the Ptarmigan trail but found the trail completely disappeared once it left the treeline around 46.156944641908, -122.1621617325243. The snow was a few feet deep around here and we couldn't tell if the trail was destroyed by a washout or scrambled up the boulders to the right. We ended up doubling back to the lake and connecting via the Pika trail instead.
Washout
Washout
There was also a small landslide on the Ptarmigan trail immediately after leaving June Lake. (Dirt is resting on top of snow) Nothing major, but it made my partner uneasy.

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostWed Jan 20, 2021 2:38 pm 
Thanks too all the replies. I'm just keeping an eye on avy conditions waiting for the avy forecast, weather and days off to work. It's like waiting for the stars to align but it will happen eventually.