Forum Index > Trail Talk > Hummock trail
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Plecorich1985

Plecorich1985
PostThu Jan 14, 2021 2:10 pm 
My family and I are thinking of hiking hummock trail this Saturday. I was reading reports of hikers that hiked it in mid December who warned of icy roads and hike. I was wondering if anyone has hiked it more recently could update me if this was still the case. I tried to call tge mt st helens visitor center but it appears to be closed. Id also appreciate any other suggestions of easy to moderate hikes no further than 1.5 hours from Olympia. We have a stroller and a 1.5 year old so don't want anything too demanding. Thanks so much in advance!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostThu Jan 14, 2021 2:48 pm 
I hiked it December 24th. Roads were fine and just small patches of snow on the trail. That area often has much less snow that I expect when I visit there in the winter, but it's still prone holding snow if snow levels get low enough. Not sure what the current conditions are. Around Olympia, my family has really been enjoying Millersylvania state park lately. There is a small honeycomb of intersecting trails giving you lots of loop options. Only the far northeast section of trail has muddy puddles the rest is mostly dry. It's a lovely forest hike. We also like Tolmie park, but it's often crowded. The Tumwater watershed park trail is also a favorite, my kids love the 20 or so bridges and it's also pretty easy.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Jan 14, 2021 2:59 pm 
Considering the weather we've had this past week, I'd expect trails to be very snowy or muddy, depending on elevation. If you're not set on mountain views, why not just go to the coast? You could go as far north as Kalaloch (within your drive time window).

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood