Forum Index > Photography Talk > Costco photo department closing
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostWed Jan 13, 2021 6:58 pm 
Bummer - they always provided high quality prints. Email from Costco: We are writing to inform you about the upcoming closure of the photo department at all Costco locations on Sunday, February 14, 2021. Since the introduction of camera phones and social media, the need for printing photos has steeply declined, even though the number of pictures taken continues to grow. After careful consideration, we have determined the continued decline of prints no longer requires on-site photo printing. Digital technologies allow consumers to do more with their photos, including the ability to personalize canvas, metal & acrylic prints, or create photo books, stationery, calendars and other gifts. We will continue to ship these high quality products and prints to your home or business through the Costco Photo Center website, CostcoPhotoCenter.com. Costco’s home movie video transfer, passport photo, photo restoration and ink cartridge refill services will no longer be available after February 14, 2021. Please pick up any remaining orders you have at your local Costco location by March 28th, 2021. We thank you for your business, and look forward to providing our innovative, high quality, personalized photo products to you in the future via the CostcoPhotoCenter.com.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostWed Jan 13, 2021 7:28 pm 
That's surprising, but not surprising at the same time. Sounds like you can still get prints, you just have to order online and have them shipped to you. Things are trending more and more in this direction these days. Go with the flow I guess...

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Jan 14, 2021 1:47 am 
Seems like another business adaptation due to the pandemic.

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostThu Jan 14, 2021 9:27 pm 
Randito wrote:
Seems like another business adaptation due to the pandemic.
And what do you want to bet that the "mailed to you" photos come from printers in china..... Follow the money, this whole virus business is a plot.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Jan 14, 2021 9:48 pm 
moonspots wrote:
And what do you want to bet that the "mailed to you" photos come from printers in china..... Follow the money, this whole virus business is a plot.
MEH, The main reason companies have offshored manufactoring is exploit reduced labor costs. But photo printing is a nearly 100% automated process, so I'm skeptical of the savings here. Also I haved ordered items shipped from the PRC directly to me and I have found that to be a fairly long process, with the tracking information showing the package sitting in the port for up to two weeks for no apparent reason. Anyway -- I suspect there are two factors at work: 1) Since everyone is hauling around their lifttime photo collection in supercomputer in their pocket, the demand for "prints" has steeply declined in the last 5 years. 2) Having customers pawing through every other customer's photo envelopes in the midst of a pandemic seems like an unwise practice -- both from a "lets keep our customers alive" perspective and from a liability perspective. So I figure that CostCo has consolidated their photo printing operations into a small number of USA locations and uses USPS Priority mail to distribute.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Jan 14, 2021 10:02 pm 
It's funny I just fiddled a bit with the CostCoPhotoCenter -- and choosing the "pickup at warehouse" option was $0.19 for a single 4x6 photo and the "mail to my house" option was $0.11 for the same photo. I'm not sure how they are making any money or what sort of deal that have with the USPS/UPS/FEDEX to print and deliver something for eleven cents.
Quote:
Estimated delivery via Standard: Monday, January 25, 2021 – Monday, February 1, 2021
Seems improbable that the print in being made in China and shipped to the USA in a 1-2 week time frame for $0.11 -- perhaps Mexico.

Gil

Gil
PostWed Jan 20, 2021 8:25 pm 
There's still Kenmore Camera, which still does 35mm film developing and printing. Great people.

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
gwc2u

gwc2u
PostSun Jan 24, 2021 5:13 pm 
Well said & reasoned