Forum Index > Trail Talk > Interested to see what downed trees folks are finding after windstorm
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
gb

gb
PostSat Jan 16, 2021 7:46 am 
I've just done one hike thus far and the evidence of wind was significant; several downed trees where I've not seen any previously. Lots and lots of branches.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostSat Jan 16, 2021 8:21 am 
Check out the reports on WTA. There are some photos showing impressive amounts of windfall.

cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostSat Jan 16, 2021 10:11 am 
There are ten down over the Cable Line. Seven suspended and three on the ground. I spent 4.5 hours on it with a pruning saw Wednesday night. Everything is pretty easily passable now. Someone handy with a chainsaw will need to finish.

If not now, when?
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Jan 16, 2021 10:42 am 
Talked to Randle friends. Lots of trees down. In fact, they think more than usual due to the firewood cutter effect. Normally, after a storm, the firewooders are all over the place loading up their trucks and trailers. My friends said the road nearest their house only has the first tree across it cut up and the firewood cutters left a bunch of rounds behind and never returned. They are within 6 miles o "town" and usually their area is hit hard by woodcutters quickly. The theory is that this storm had blown over more trees closer to town so the woodcutters don't have to drive very far. It might be a few days until the roads are crudely opened, even in a place where everybody owns and is fairly competent with a chainsaw. Trails? Well, you probably can't get to them right now due to downed trees and snow in the Randle/Packwood area. It may not be good on the east side either. We got the same wind over here. In Omak, 4 power poles were snapped.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
gb

gb
PostSat Jan 16, 2021 1:50 pm 
I read Oyster Dome is kind of a mess. Also the road to Baker Lake is still blocked.

rocknclimb

rocknclimb
PostSat Jan 16, 2021 4:02 pm 
CRV nearly hit on my property

When asked "Why do you climb"? Simply respond "Why don't you"?
babylero

babylero
PostSat Jan 16, 2021 11:05 pm 
Today, Cascade river road has trees down but is clear and passable, same with Suiattle river road.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostSun Jan 17, 2021 12:43 am 
They need to remove these trees! Why haven't they removed these trees!?

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Jan 17, 2021 12:51 am 
BigBrunyon wrote:
They need to remove these trees! Why haven't they removed these trees!?
I feel the same way about Mt Pilchuck, my place in Verlot does not see the sun from about mid November to mid February. Dynamite it!

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
HikingBex

HikingBex
PostSun Jan 17, 2021 3:35 pm 
Saw some pretty big trees down on Cougar this morning

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Jan 17, 2021 9:39 pm 
There was a 2 foot diameter tree across the gravel section of the East Lake Sammamish trail two days ago. Passible by dismounting and lifting. The sound of generators accompanied the ride along most of the trail as most houses along the lake appeared to be without power. On the section of my loop around Lake Sammamish that uses 164th ave between 30th ST and 24T street the road was closed with huge Doug Fir across the road and a "Road Closed -- Live Wire on Ground" sign.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Jan 17, 2021 9:42 pm 
gb wrote:
I read Oyster Dome is kind of a mess.
IDK about the trail -- but parking was a circus as I drove through to the boat launch in Wildcat Cove. Cars we parked for miles along Chuckanut drive -- sometimes not always over the white line.

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostWed Jan 20, 2021 2:42 pm 
I was surprised only 1 tree down on trail to deer lake on the pct N of hwy 12. And with the snow you could easily walk around it.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
philfort

philfort
PostWed Jan 20, 2021 4:29 pm 
babylero wrote:
Today, Cascade river road has trees down but is clear and passable, same with Suiattle river road.
That's odd, I was up Suiattle River Road two days ago and it was blocked at ~Huckleberry mtn trail on the way in, and in the process of being cleared (by some generous folks) to Buck Creek CG on the way out. The road on the south side of the river was blocked within a mile of the bridge too.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Jan 20, 2021 5:59 pm 
Perhaps time for a reminder of something that can be done. What folks who saw out trails like/need to know is the diameter of the largest tree across the trail. A diameter estimate is needed in order to bring out a saw with sufficient power and bar length or crosscut size. Then the number of down trees is also good to know. That gives and idea of the amount of work to be done. These two things can make work more efficient and get work done without having to walk out and get a bigger saw or more fuel, in the case of non-wilderness. Pencil and paper are good enough to jot info down on. Primitive, but it works. Then deliver this info to the entity that does such work. They may thank you for it.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities