Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Amazon fulfillment FUBAR
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Jan 17, 2021 10:43 am 
@catsp you're moving the goal posts. Amazon changing prices 2.5 million times per day by purely automated means can only be described as "machinations." I mostly agree with you about the reason for these machinations. I hope we can at least agree now that they exist. smile.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Jan 17, 2021 10:47 am 
Anne Elk wrote:
Sounds like the Wall St/NYSE computerized micro-second trading methods. No can beat ...
I'm trying to find a link but I'm still working on my coffee and my google fu is weak. RadioLab did an episode about reaction time and how we live every moment of our lives in the past. They talk about the evolution of stock trading to what you just described. Like all RadioLab shows, it was excellent, and makes good listening on the way to or from the trail. I'll try again to find it this evening.

Kascadia

Kascadia
PostSun Jan 17, 2021 12:10 pm 
Michael Lewis (Liars Poke/The Big Short) covered this (high frequency trading) in Flash Boys (2014). His "Wall Street" books are good reads.

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostSun Jan 17, 2021 2:01 pm 
I put in the instructions for delivery for the driver to ring the doorbell when delivering. That's so I can get out there and retrieve the package before the "porch pirates" hit. However, no amazon driver has done so yet! One of them did, for some reason, take the package around the house to my back gate. I didn't find out until I started complaining that the package wasn't there. They finally published the photo and I looked out my back door. It was a good thing it didn't rain that night, or the item would have been ruined. It always seems that any item I need urgently comes from a third party vendor and is not eligible for Prime delivery. I'll try ordering through Walmart; thanks, TS!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostMon Jan 18, 2021 11:04 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
[i]Amazon changes product prices 2.5 million times a day, meaning that an average product listed on Amazon changes prices every 10 minutes.
Weird. I just went looking for a book that I missed on eBay. And, found it on Amazon for $5.74 hardcover - great, put it in the cart, then I went looking further a few minutes later, I found it also for $93, then again $768! dizzy.gif Went back to the cart and bought it before they changed their mind again. agree.gif

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Leafguy

Leafguy
PostMon Jan 18, 2021 6:41 pm 
Leafguy wrote:
Amazon just tried to pull the "he clicked on that item several times, lets change the price" BS on me this week. Was looking into an item and went back and forth to it several times during the week. When I decide to do it, the price is missing and there is a tab saying there are multiple options. The "Richard Craniums" had marked it up 10-20%. Yet it was still the same price from the vendor but freight wasn't paid. Needless to say, I got it elsewhere. What a bunch of ani. bart.gif
Gee, I went back to the Amazon site and checked the item they had jacked up on me. It was back at the normal list price! Imagine that. Supply and demand ? Don’t kid yourselves. 🤩

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostMon Jan 18, 2021 7:11 pm 
There are major hassles from a seller's point of view too. @ree's new book about Death Valley pioneers (http://debfoxdesign.com) got hijacked by someone who apparently stole her book. Fortunately someone we know bought one. That's how we found out it's a preliminary copy she had printed for checking. Sheesh. And there's not much one can do about it. Amazon is more for buyers than sellers.

Geography Nerd
Beer Tester

Geography Nerd
Beer Tester
PostTue Jan 19, 2021 8:37 am 
The only time we have problems with deliveries is when they come via USPS. I'm not sure why but the USPS in the North Bend area is really bad and from what I hear from our neighbors it's been that way for quite a few years. Amazon is also in the process of migrating most deliveries to their trucks/drivers and will soon stop using UPS/FedEx/USPS. I'm sure there's been some hiccups in that process.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostFri Jan 22, 2021 3:00 pm 
As of yesterday (1/21) my re-order package still hadn't arrived and Amazon customer service hadn't a clue to its whereabouts. I cancelled the order and bought direct from the manufacturer last night. Now I must wait yet another week. Fulfillment on my original order was by Amazon, but obviously their warehouses weren't stocking it. Who knows where those two orders went. huh.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood