Forum Index > Trail Talk > permits & bearcans for camping on olympic national shoreline
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
eli4

eli4
PostFri Jan 15, 2021 11:54 am 
Hi - the visitors center isn't picking up, i was hoping someone here could help me. Two things *On recreation.gov, you can't reserve permits at thole in the wall, chilean memorial, etc.. - are the areas accessed from rialto closed in some way? *Is there a way to get bear cans this time of year from the ranger stations? Thanks!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Jan 15, 2021 1:25 pm 
You will need to leave a message at the WIC (Wilderness Information Center) phone line and wait for them to call you back. Ranger station at Ozette is not staffed this time of year, so bear canisters would not be available there. Kalaloch Ranger station is not staffed during winter, nor do they supply bear canisters. REI rents canisters: Deposit (REI member) $0.00 Deposit (NON member) $100.00 rental: $5.00 first night, $2.00 each additional night (members) rental: $8.00 first night, $3.00 each additional night (non-members) * highly advisable to reserve in advance * and welcome to the site! wink.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
SlingShot
Slingshot

SlingShot
Slingshot
PostFri Jan 15, 2021 1:27 pm 
It looks like overnight permits for those areas open up on Feb 1st.

Take only photo's. Leave only foot prints. Waste only time. John Muir http://www.flickr.com/photos/dogntallgrass/ https://www.facebook.com/marc.mallang
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Jan 15, 2021 10:04 pm 
It is strange that everything has huge availability except for hikes from Rialto. Looks like we are good to go next weekend, if the forecast holds up.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Jan 15, 2021 10:07 pm 
Got it! The Mora road to Rialto, past the ranger station, is closed due to flooding. I saw no alert for this, just the listing on the “roads” page.

Sallie4jo

Sallie4jo
PostSat Jan 16, 2021 12:23 am 
You can do reservations on line and pint them yourself. You can also get near canisters at th park office in PA. Believe all the info is on the website. It was true last month when I went out over solstice.

I choose to live in a landscape of hope. Terry Tempest Williams
babylero

babylero
PostMon Jan 18, 2021 1:52 pm 
Was out there last weekend, at the time they cancelled my Permit for Norwegian and relocated me to Sandpoint or Yellowbanks, this was due to flooding and slides south of Yellow Banks. The coast has been hit hard this Month. If you get a good weather window go! It's an amazing place.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostTue Jan 19, 2021 9:40 am 
Have you considered just buying a canister? They cost 80 bucks. And then you have it for any other last-minute future uses, and you don't need to deal with getting one that's stinky or dirty from a someone else's food.

Brian R

Brian R
PostTue Jan 19, 2021 10:11 am 
They make good camp stools too!

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostTue Jan 19, 2021 10:17 am 
Foist wrote:
Have you considered just buying a canister? They cost 80 bucks. And then you have it for any other last-minute future uses, and you don't need to deal with getting one that's stinky or dirty from a someone else's food.
I have a full size Garcia can and a half sized Bear boxer contender. I've been at the WIC when they ran out of lenders. I got my permit while others had to wait for cans to be returned. Contender I've been using bear canisters since long before they were required. One of my favorite pieces of gear. Even the big Garcia fits nicely inside my medium sized Zpacks arc blast. They do make decent camp stools and probably most importantly, they keep the mice out...which are much more adept at getting to your food than bears are.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostTue Jan 19, 2021 10:37 am 
Plus, once you've gone through the trouble of packing and schlepping them, they save so much time and effort at the campsite. No worrying about finding an appropriate branch and throwing the rope just right. You just put all your stuff back in the can and close it. I will say though that they are heavy enough that I almost never bring them unless required or unless I know I will not be near any trees.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Jan 19, 2021 12:51 pm 
Foist wrote:
Plus, once you've gone through the trouble of packing and schlepping them, they save so much time and effort at the campsite. No worrying about finding an appropriate branch and throwing the rope just right. You just put all your stuff back in the can and close it. I will say though that they are heavy enough that I almost never bring them unless required or unless I know I will not be near any trees.
I have had a bear canister since 1998. I replaced my original Garcia can with a Bearvault at the end of 2003 when they first came out. Since I have purchacsed a smaller Bearvault 450 and the newly designed Bearvault 500. But like you, I almost never take my bear canister unless I am required to. Otherwise I use an Ursack. I will likely buy a new Ursack this spring. I haven't bothered trying to hang food sacks for almost two decades. It's a waste of time and energy with the availability and convenience of Ursacks. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostTue Jan 19, 2021 2:36 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
I haven't bothered trying to hang food sacks for almost two decades. It's a waste of time and energy with the availability and convenience of Ursacks.
I personally find high hanging a food sack easier than properly setting an Ursack, assuming there are trees. To each his own.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Jan 19, 2021 5:34 pm 
texasbb wrote:
RumiDude wrote:
I haven't bothered trying to hang food sacks for almost two decades. It's a waste of time and energy with the availability and convenience of Ursacks.
I personally find high hanging a food sack easier than properly setting an Ursack, assuming there are trees. To each his own.
I know a few people who are proficient at a "proper" food hang. But the overwhelming vast majority of people are not. Contra-wise, properly setting an ursack really only requires one skill, tying a figure eight knot. That can be learned in just a few minutes. And even if a person forgets, there is a little tag in the Ursack which illustrates how to tie it. The truth of the matter is that it is mostly only the problem areas that either an Ursack or a bear canister is needed. And on the Olympic Coast it is mostly the racoons which are the problem. But with the explosion in recent years of people recreating in the backcountry, more problem areas have arisen and with other animals. For instance a family of coyotes are problematic at Five Mile Island on the Hoh Trail in ONP. And because their method of hunting for food is different that others, they run in and snatch up anything they see laying around. So they run in and snatch stoves, bags, shoes, and in one case I am aware of, a pair of binoculars. Proper food storage is going to become a pressing problem in areas that get used a lot. Regardless of what method one uses, proper food storage is something that is only going to become even more important in the coming years. Props to you for your skill. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Jan 19, 2021 5:49 pm 
Ditto to rumi. The main advantage of kegs is they are sailor proof. Ursack are easy but some folks tie a granny or slip knot. Thing to remember is animals pull not push. Regular bags are tricky in forest with nearest limb 50’ up or in the alpine. I have used Ursacks in alpine with careful use of chockstones. Some places Sierras and coast rangers have nothing better to do but check for kegs. You pay your money and take your chances.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn