Forum Index > Trail Talk > permits & bearcans for camping on olympic national shoreline
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Jan 19, 2021 5:53 pm 
I loan my Garcia out when someone asks for one on my Nextdoor Neighborhood site, or the Buy Nothing site. I loaned it 3 times last summer. Try that! If you're in Lake Forest Park, I might be the one answering your plea!

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Jan 19, 2021 6:46 pm 
^ I loaned my Garcia to my next-door neighbor for his first big "backpack/camping" trip out to Sand Point last summer. It made the difference between him going and not going - loaners from the WIC were in short supply, and PA was too far to drive.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostTue Jan 19, 2021 9:29 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
Contra-wise, properly setting an ursack really only requires one skill, tying a figure eight knot. That can be learned in just a few minutes. And even if a person forgets, there is a little tag in the Ursack which illustrates how to tie it.
To me what's difficult about the Ursack is finding a tree or limb of the right diameter at the right height above the ground. Harder to come by than a hangable high limb IME. The Ursack's cinch rope is too short to go around a big tree or limb, and all too often the right size is found just a bit too high to make tying that easy figure eight easy. I like the Ursack in the scrub zone just below treeline.
RumiDude wrote:
Regardless of what method one uses, proper food storage is something that is only going to become even more important in the coming years.
Indeed. One thing all places with problem animals have in common is they used to have no problem animals.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue Jan 19, 2021 10:31 pm 
I have a bear vault BV 450 that I use mainly for beach trips. It’s the stubby variety. Owning my own can has saved me many a stop at the ranger station.