Forum Index > Trail Talk > Interested to see what downed trees folks are finding after windstorm
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Carbonj

Carbonj
PostWed Jan 20, 2021 8:19 pm 
Excellent advice treewarper, long time trail crew guy here, diameter, how many, location or altitude,big,scary, all that helps.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
timberghost

timberghost
PostThu Jan 21, 2021 6:26 am 
Just do it yourself and get it done.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Jan 21, 2021 8:57 am 
timberghost wrote:
Just do it yourself and get it done.
Yup. I can easily clear a 7 foot diameter tree out of a trail with my little folding saw. That's what we ran into one year on the Kraus Ridge trail. In fact, there were three of those punkins down and although we had chainsaws, none of us had a big enough saw and bar, and none of us felt comfortable tackling those trees if we did have the right equipment. (the scary part mentioned). We wrote it down and the FS hired a contractor to come in and cut the punkins out of the trail. I would not be surprised to find more of that size on that trail.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostThu Jan 21, 2021 3:17 pm 
King County cleared about 20 significant downed trees from the paved portion of the Middle Fork road. Volunteers (not me) cleared another 38 trees over 6" in diameter on the gravel road to the Dingford trailhead. I cleared a bunch of the smaller debris a day later. The creek washes got scoured a bit but are still passable in my 8" clearance Forester with some careful driving. These photos were all taken on 01/14/2021.
Huge tree down near the old Granite Creek trailhead
Huge tree down near the old Granite Creek trailhead
More trees down at the start of the Island Drop guard rail. King County took out the trees that fell along the paved part of the road.
More trees down at the start of the Island Drop guard rail. King County took out the trees that fell along the paved part of the road.
Downed trees from the storm just past the Taylor River bridge
Downed trees from the storm just past the Taylor River bridge
Storm debris on Hell Hill. Before clearing.
Storm debris on Hell Hill. Before clearing.
Storm debris on Hell Hill. After clearing.
Storm debris on Hell Hill. After clearing.
Messy alder fall just before the reroute
Messy alder fall just before the reroute
Two creek crossings:
Garfield wash. No water at road today, but was flowing above and below
Garfield wash. No water at road today, but was flowing above and below
Oil Pan Creek. The "edges" of the filled in road way are gone but the wash is not eroded very badly yet
Oil Pan Creek. The "edges" of the filled in road way are gone but the wash is not eroded very badly yet
[Edit - added] Fallen tree on the Ira Spring trail just before Mason Creek
Mason Creek 01/16/2020
Mason Creek 01/16/2020

HikerJohn

HikerJohn
PostThu Jan 21, 2021 3:55 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Perhaps time for a reminder of something that can be done. What folks who saw out trails like/need to know is the diameter of the largest tree across the trail. A diameter estimate is needed in order to bring out a saw with sufficient power and bar length or crosscut size. Then the number of down trees is also good to know. That gives and idea of the amount of work to be done. These two things can make work more efficient and get work done without having to walk out and get a bigger saw or more fuel, in the case of non-wilderness. Pencil and paper are good enough to jot info down on. Primitive, but it works. Then deliver this info to the entity that does such work. They may thank you for it.
Good point, Tree! If you get info on trails down in the 410 or I-90 Forest Service areas, send me a PM with the info, especially the location and diameter of the tree and I pass info along (it's all put into a database on trail conditions)..

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Jan 22, 2021 2:55 pm 
A salute to my trail crew, who died a few years ago. He was a cheery helper.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Jan 22, 2021 5:12 pm 
Did West Tiger 1 2 3 trifecta lollipop today. All wind falls on Highpoint, TMT, WT RR grade, upper road, WT3 and K3 trails seemed to be logged out. Did not check Cableline.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Snuffy

Snuffy
PostFri Jan 22, 2021 8:23 pm 
philfort wrote:
in the process of being cleared (by some generous folks) to Buck Creek CG on the way out
It should be cleared to Downey Creek now, that same crew has been out more than once.

You don't find yourself standing at the top of a mountain without having started out in the valley.
Snuffy

Snuffy
PostFri Jan 22, 2021 8:25 pm 
I snowshoed to Surprise Lake today (SR2) and was surprised not to see more than a couple of recent trees and a bunch of branches. No big pileups.

You don't find yourself standing at the top of a mountain without having started out in the valley.
timberghost

timberghost
PostWed Jan 27, 2021 6:59 am 
Some good firewood out there bring your saw along

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Jan 27, 2021 7:43 am 
timberghost wrote:
Some good firewood out there bring your saw along
up.gif up.gif That's how roads get opened in the Randle Packwood area. It helps if one also clears the limbs off the road and out of the ditchline. Then it takes a couple of years to season if the tree was green.

timberghost

timberghost
PostWed Jan 27, 2021 1:09 pm 
It never ceases to amaze me how car after car will drive around a rock, limb, log on the road instead of getting out and moving it. Its like there's a limb there along side a pothole created from driving around it yet they will drive thru that pothole instead of moving that limb banghead.gif

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Jan 27, 2021 1:22 pm 
timberghost wrote:
It never ceases to amaze me how car after car will drive around a rock, limb, log on the road instead of getting out and moving it. Its like there's a limb there along side a pothole created from driving around it yet they will drive thru that pothole instead of moving that limb banghead.gif
There is pitch to get on those spendy gloves and clothing and the limbs are often muddy, from people driving over them. frown.gif Mustn't get dirty when out in the woods. smile.gif

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Jan 27, 2021 2:41 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Mustn't get dirty when out in the woods. smile.gif
Right, that would not look good on their Social Media-look at how cool I look out in the mountain photos....and God forbid they get a snag in their yoga pants-leggings. rolleyes.gif I do however, enjoy finding all the nice hats and gloves etc that leave behind, free gear is kewl!

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed Jan 27, 2021 2:42 pm 
I did a loop at Cougar on Saturday - Wilderness Creek then over to Shy Bear Swamp, and up over Wilderness Peak and back do the car at Wilderness Creek. I was surprised to not see more evidence of trees down on the trails - I think one or two decent diameter trees had come down and had already been cleared but I saw no other obvious evidence of recent falls. BUT I did use my favorite shortcut trail that cuts off a little distance of the descent from Wilderness Peak and there were a LOT of branches down along that section (no new trees though, which again surprised me), which I heaved off to the sides.