Forum Index > Trip Reports > South Bessemer summit + camp
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
TheWanderingIndian

TheWanderingIndian
PostWed Jan 20, 2021 10:16 pm 
So for the first hike of the year (for me), I decided to go for a quick redemption trek. We did this route last month and only didn’t make it because we left the snowshoes in the truck. Well I returned solo with a 50lbs pack and snowshoes ready! Weather called for clear skies Tuesday night, with an overcast morning. Temps at night were expected in low 30s high 20s, not to bad for me, I like the cold! Moolock from the road, definitely some snow up there
Russian butte from the TH. You stare at the butte the whole trek up, makes me want to try that route to!
I found these cool frost formations again! It’s one of my new favorite natural phenomena. Especially after learning about the unique and specific conditions needed for it to form!
On my way up!
At 2pm, 5 miles in, I came upon my previous campsite. Following my previous post hole tracks all the way to it haha good thing I brought the snowshoes this time!
A few switchbacks later you come up to a saddle looking down into the valley below. This is the first real look at the last 1000 feet to the summit!
The only animal tracks I saw
Looking back at moolock
One man on a mission
At 5.5 miles the views of the middle fork valley open up and the grandeur of the surrounding peaks really begins to set in
At 5.8 miles I found a gorgeous little knoll facing lemah and the north, I decided this would be camp. I dropped my pack and ran up to the summit real quick. It was glorious! Views all around! Didn’t get any pictures though, the cold wind made me want to return to camp ASAP so I left, knowing there was work to be done at camp.
The last pictures I took before running up to the summit
After returning to camp, I got camp set up in time to watch the stunning alpine sunset!
The color show begins....
Last views...
The night was slightly chilly but once I wrapped up in my Pendleton wool blanket I was soooo toasty I didn’t care that temps were in the 20s
Night stars
That night I was talking to friend over the phone, long story short he convinced me to go watch sunrise from the summit.... I awoke around 630am after falling asleep at 11pm. A full 7.5 hours of sleep! I swear I get the best nights rest in the alpine! I relaxed for 30 minutes before trying to put on my boots. I quickly realized they had froze solid. I couldn’t get my feet in them. So with the sunrise fast approaching I fired up my camp burner to melt/warm my boots. It only took a few minutes, then I was on my way!
Ahh summit is near....
Just kidding
Last push up to south Bessemer summit
The top
Here you can see seattle, Bellevue, the puget sound, and the exterior Olympic range!
Time to watch the sunrise!
Not as glorious as last trips sunrise, but I definitely appreciate any alpine sunrise! The descent
Views from back at camp..
Heading out
A great first trip of the year! Cheers to good alpine times!

mossbackmax
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
KascadeFlat

KascadeFlat
PostThu Jan 21, 2021 6:54 am 
What an awesome adventure! Good for your for going back after your first attempt - looks like you were rewarded with a beautiful camp & solitude. up.gif

For a good time call: 1-800-SLD-ALDR.
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostThu Jan 21, 2021 9:24 am 
Good trip report...thanks.
TheWanderingIndian wrote:
Beautiful blanket. That is some class, but no wonder your pack weighed 50 pounds. ( the pyramid tent is classy too, as is your S.A.K. with a digital thermometer!)

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
TheWanderingIndian

TheWanderingIndian
PostThu Jan 21, 2021 11:25 am 
Hey thanks man! I actually packed the extra weight on purpose.I wanted a heavier pack because I’m kind of training for a sourdough mountain camp here in a few weeks and I want to be ready for that 5000 gain haha. But yeah my Swiss has a thermometer, plus a barometer, altimeter, alarm, stopwatch, timer, and all the other Swiss functions. It’s one my favorite mountain tools.