Forum Index > Trail Talk > Cool story of compassion
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ale_capone

ale_capone
PostSat Jan 23, 2021 7:32 am 
A past acquaintance of mine, Colin Wiseman, wrote a story of his recent encounter in the north cascades. I'm assuming by the story that a homeless man was trying to walk to Montana over highway 20. The found him hypothermic while they where snowmobile assisted ski touring. https://www.theskijournal.com/exclusive/compassion-and-consequence/ https://www.theskijournal.com/

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Snowdog

Snowdog
PostSun Jan 24, 2021 10:41 am 
thank you for sharing- smile.gif

'we don't have time for a shortcut'
Sallie4jo

Sallie4jo
PostSun Jan 24, 2021 12:30 pm 
What a story, thanks for sharing ..

I choose to live in a landscape of hope. Terry Tempest Williams
Gil

Gil
PostSun Jan 24, 2021 12:32 pm 
Ohmigosh that is heart-breaking! Thank goodness the two of them were there to save that guy.

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
Kellbell

Kellbell
PostSun Jan 24, 2021 12:59 pm 
Enjoyed the story. Makes me think about my own attitudes toward the homeless. Would I have less of desire to help someone because of who they are? When we walk by homeless people so frequently, it's hard not to acknowledge that they are treated with a different urgency than the rest of the public. It makes me sad and I wish I knew how to change it. Anyway, thank you for sharing.

Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Jan 25, 2021 11:53 am 
this "liability" thing is real as said from the guided sledder. There are ways people have sued by getting around the "good samaritan" laws we have. Sometimes, not successful....it will make your life hell. A lawyer in Tacoma with some experience has advised me of the same thing.

Art is an adventure.
Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Jan 25, 2021 1:07 pm 
Stefan wrote:
this "liability" thing is real as said from the guided sledder. There are ways people have sued by getting around the "good samaritan" laws we have. Sometimes, not successful....it will make your life hell. A lawyer in Tacoma with some experience has advised me of the same thing.
Anybody can be sued for anything. I've been sued at least 4 times on search and rescues & they were thrown out by a judge before they got anywhere because of Good Samaritan laws. If you think that's a reason for not helping out someone dying in the mountains you're not much of a human being.

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostMon Jan 25, 2021 1:55 pm 
Good Samaritan laws vary from state to state and situation to situation. There can be exceptions for "willful negligence," "recklessness," and what have you. Such exceptions are especially dangerous for someone whose profession is related to the assistance. Like in the referenced article, where someone makes a living as a snowmobile guide, it's hardly inhuman to ponder the downsides. Even a cheap lawyer could probably sell a jury on the idea that someone who drives snowmobiles for a living "knew or should have known" that the unplanned rider would freeze to death on the way out or fall off and break his/her neck or whatever. It's sad, but there are enough idiotic laws, judges, jurors, and insurance companies to give one pause. In this case it sounds like the guy did pause, thought about it, then eventually decided to take the risk.