Forum Index > Trail Talk > Shipwreck Coast - Navigating Tides and Overland Crossings
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kellbell

Kellbell
PostWed Jan 27, 2021 9:16 am 
Curious if you went? We postponed because of the king tides and all... it actually looked like things calmed down enough on the weekend that we were going to go (beautiful weather in fact...16th-18th) but Rialto parking lot looked a hot mess from the pictures I saw! I wonder how long it will take to clear that out.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
babylero

babylero
PostWed Jan 27, 2021 10:32 am 
I ended up going and put up my trip report. It was a great trip. I avoided most of the severe weather in a small window and even had blue sky on day 1, but the waves were quite high at high tide. I timed them well for my hike but they were definitely extreme and meant many areas of the coast were not save even at a medium tide. Trip Report

Kellbell

Kellbell
PostSat Jan 30, 2021 4:13 pm 
Looked like a great trip! I left a comment on your TR. Here's a link to my January compromise hike. Fingers crossed I can get the thru hike done in February:) http://slowesthiker.com/blog/breaking-100-on-the-pnt/

babylero

babylero
PostMon Feb 01, 2021 10:08 am 
Hope you are able to do it. I would love to try the southern coast when tides are ideal, it's very rugged around Toleak and Hoh head.

Kellbell

Kellbell
PostSat Feb 13, 2021 10:49 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Cape Johnson is not the problem it is the small points just north and south of it which are mud slides when wet and difficult to and frustrating to climb.
So I just did this section (last weekend when in was beautiful, thank God! Great tides too) and when we passed the rope climbs I just couldn't believe how impossible they looked. One looked totally vertical and the other one the rope was mostly buried in what looked to be a pretty bad mud slide. I couldn't imagine if we were relying on using them... that would be a really bad situation. Anyway, I'm curious if you know why the one rope climb south of there is non optional. That bluff didn't look nearly as bad as the others...I would have totally just went around it if I hadn't read that you shouldn't. Oh, and thank you for explaining that winter storm surges make the tide charts unreliable. We had originally planned to do it in January... the weather looked good and the tides doable. Thankfully I got someone on the phone when I called to ask about permits who told me that "king tides" were happening and "waves are crashing into the parking lot"...I was like "WHAT?"