Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Got Vaccinated?
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSun Jan 31, 2021 12:59 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
At least we do not have antivaxers shutting down the sites. Article
Good grief! Why some people can't just mind their own business, I'll never understand. If they don't want a vac themselves, they should perhaps just stay home and play solitaire, or something. dizzy.gif

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Jan 31, 2021 1:10 pm 
moonspots wrote:
I'm suspicious of a vaccine that was rolled out so quickly, doesn't actually prevent you from "catching" the chinese virus, and isn't effective for very long.
Have you ever had a flu shot? They roll that out in five months. Vaccine development for covid began in 2003. That's how they knew to target the spike protein, from SARS 1. Do you think having part of a virus inside you could be worse than having the whole thing? I'm with you on not really trusting big pharma ... but I trust bats even less. Like Churchill said, I'd rather take my chances with the fire brigade than the fire.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Jan 31, 2021 1:15 pm 
moonspots wrote:
Good grief! Why some people can't just mind their own business, I'll never understand. If they don't want a vac themselves, they should perhaps just stay home and play solitaire, or something. dizzy.gif
Yup. People who don't get inoculated benefit a lot more from other people not being able to infect them. (Or being drastically less likely to.)

neek

neek
PostSun Jan 31, 2021 1:47 pm 
OK...to address a few technical points before this sucker gets locked:
Cyclopath wrote:
Vaccine development for covid began in 2003. That's how they knew to target the spike protein, from SARS 1.
The Pfizer and Moderna vaccines do indeed contain code that instructs your cells to manufacture something like the spike protein that your immune system can then learn to target. However, this fragile messenger is encased in lipid nanoparticles to get it safely inside, a sort of friendly trojan horse. This is a completely new vaccine delivery mechanism, and only time will tell how safe it is. (The Oxford one uses an older mechanism and has a different risk profile; I'm not sure about J&J.) Personally I'm much more comfortable with the (unknown, but likely miniscule) long term risk of the mRNA vaccines vs. that of the actual virus. But it is reasonable to ask questions. (Unless those questions involve, say, squeezing a microchip through a 25 gauge syringe.)
Cyclopath wrote:
I'm with you on not really trusting big pharma ... but I trust bats even less.
I trust bats more than I trust people. This whole thing is certainly not their fault.

Schroder

Schroder
PostSun Jan 31, 2021 2:30 pm 
Whidbey Health canceled 12,000 appointments this week because their anticipated supply was diverted to other counties. I was lucky. I hope I can get the second dose when I need to.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Jan 31, 2021 3:10 pm 
My only question is whither it is SNAFU or FUBAR.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Jan 31, 2021 3:55 pm 
neek wrote:
I trust bats more than I trust people. This whole thing is certainly not their fault
What I mean is that all of these drug companies deliberately engineered their vaccines to be beneficial to humans. This virus developed in bats with no intention of being helpful or even benign. (Or harmful. No intention at all.) The one that's designed to be helpful is a better bet than the one than the one that evolved as an obligate parasite. Agree it's not the bats' fault. The main thing I want to say is the idea that they cooked this vax up a few months ago and now they're sticking it in people isn't there best way to understand this. It's very new and we don't know what the long term side effects will be. But it's also been through a lot of research and some testing when SARS 1 was going around - different vaccine candidates that also worked by targeting the spike protein. And with every drug company on earth working on their own, this is an area that's seen a lot of human hours. People should understand that when they think about how risky the vaccine is and what they're comfortable with.

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostSun Jan 31, 2021 5:11 pm 
We belong to Kaiser. Early last week I kept checking their Bellevue facility - no appts. Then I happened to check again and saw that their Redmond clinic (closest to us) was added to the list of places to get shots. I jumped on that and then my wife did. Got our first Moderna shot yesterday. Clinc was super organized. Everyone was asked to sit there for 15 minutes to make sure no adverse reaction. Staff wandered around keeping an eye out for anyone having any reaction. Our second shot is scheduled for late February.

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostSun Jan 31, 2021 5:17 pm 
Down here in Oregon our not-so-competent governor decided to do the teachers before us seniors--better to open schools sooner and kill off more of us seniors, I guess. I am in line with Kaiser Permanente (I'm a member) but can get no info at all. My turn is supposedly next week but can I get any info about where or when? Of course not! Do I trust them? I've had outstanding medical care from them, but (as a retired KP employee of fairly long experience) I definitely don't trust their bureaucracy! (My PCP ia being kept equaly in the dark.) I am checking other sources, but none will let me sign up or even access info until the window for us seniors opens up Feb. 8. (I'll be on the computer at 12:01 am!) What's worse is that per news reports they are still working on 1A (health professionals and nursing homes) and seem to be running out of vaccine. The Feds are dealing with the non-transition and among other things are chasing a horrendous number of disappeared doses; the state of Oregon is displaying its usual incompetence; and those of us at the bottom of the heap are left trying to keep our blood pressure down. SNAFU and FUBAR (and a few other terms) all the way up and down the line!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
neek

neek
PostSun Jan 31, 2021 5:26 pm 
grannyhiker wrote:
I am checking other sources, but none will let me sign up or even access info until the window for us seniors opens up Feb. 8.
Sorry to hear it. The site I checked (% of population vaccinated) showed Oregon doing slightly better than Washington. My grandma got her first shot yesterday (went fine).

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Jan 31, 2021 6:44 pm 
My brother just got notified that somebody he's been around has tested positive. eek.gif

Schroder

Schroder
PostSun Jan 31, 2021 7:10 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
My brother just got notified that somebody he's been around has tested positive. eek.gif
Was this through the WA Notify app?

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Feb 01, 2021 10:02 am 
I've been running the WA Notify app since it was available and nothing, sometimes I wonder if it works. He used the word "notified" so I wondered the same thing and had to press for details. It was through work.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Feb 01, 2021 3:12 pm 
Locking this as it has and will continue to drift to politics and generic COVID discussion. Have you posted or replied to a TR lately, or thanked someone for a contribution to the site e.g. photo of the day? Hoping to add like button functionality in the near future to make it easier to extend appreciation.