Forum Index > Food & Grub > New (to me) Coffee Kid On The Block
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostMon Feb 01, 2021 11:52 am 
I just discovered this instant coffee, Cusa. It is pretty good and about the same price as Starbucks Via. YMMV Maybe this has been suggested before, but I couldn't find it anywhere. They also have instant tea. Anyway, you can drink it hot or cold, whichever suits your palate. Rumi~the roasted~Dude

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon Feb 01, 2021 2:13 pm 
I just ordered their coffee sampler for $0. $3.99 shipping. Free shipping in the future if I actually buy something.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Feb 01, 2021 6:25 pm 
Rumi - I guess it's good to give SBUX some competition. But I got tired of paying those prices for good instant coffee for trail and travel use. On a recent trip I discovered that the Medaglia D'Oro instant espresso coffee was an acceptable substitute for the Starbucks Via and much cheaper. I won't be buying any more Via, for sure. Well, maybe the tasty instant mocha latte.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
jackchinook

jackchinook
PostMon Feb 01, 2021 8:55 pm 
thanks for the recommendation - just ordered my coffee sampler - even if mediocre and/or akin to Via, $3.99 for 7 instant coffees ain't bad.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostMon Feb 01, 2021 9:04 pm 
I usually stock up on French Roast Via or Italian Roast Via whenever I find it on sale at Safeway or elsewhere. It usually brings the price down to about $0.50 - $0.70 per cup. depending on the savings. I am not a fan of the Columbian Roast Via at Costco. I tried this Cusa coffee and I think it is as good as Starbucks Via. I drink my coffee blaCK, wich means I can't cover up the off-taste of most instants. I would prefer to fresh brew coffee but that is a big investment in time and energy, both brewing and clean-up. And then there is the added weight and space required for brewing coffee properly and the resulting proper clean-up. So I opt for good tasting instant. Very few meet the minimum taste requirements I have. Via is one of those and this Cusa is another. Others like Alpine Start, though good, are waaaaaay more expensive. I am glad Anne Elk that Medaglia D'Oro is satisfactory for you, It just doesn't work for my taste. Neither does Trader Joes, another instant some swear by. Again, this Cusa is good and it is competative with Atarbucks price wise. I think it is a Colorado company. Rumi <~~~~~french pressed

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Feb 01, 2021 9:33 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
I am not a fan of the Columbian Roast Via at Costco
I noticed that it was the only Via option that Costco carried, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like it...I've become a fan of French Roast, and the mediums just have a "sour" aftertaste; like the light roasts. It would be interesting to do a side-by-side taste comparison of the French roast Via, Medaglia D'Oro and this newbie you've discovered. I've even gotten picky with the brands of French roast for daily use. Current fave is Peet's, when on sale. But I stopped taking coffee grounds on backpacking trips ages ago. wink.gif

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostTue Feb 02, 2021 8:16 am 
gourmet back country hikers? coffee from x and the water from z and the triple mocha latte with choco swirl plse! What is wrong with the instant coffee packet from 1958 c-rats pack? If anything waky in the morn fog that shud. oh oh wait! Its the experence of morning dew (quote from full metal jacket) on mountain high.

oldwild

oldwild
PostThu Feb 04, 2021 2:41 pm 
I have found that when you visit motels, they often have the in room coffee maker with little pouches of coffee in filter bags. I always take the spare with me and make it on the trail by treating it like tea. Put it in the cup and pour boiling water over it. It's not the best, but it beats instant.

Downhill
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSat Feb 06, 2021 1:30 am 
Re the motel/hotel coffee:
oldwild wrote:
It's not the best, but it beats instant.
Really? Not where I stay when in the Bellingham area. gag.gif Maybe it's the percolator provided, and a longer soak helps. coffee.gif That's why I started carrying my own instant, even when "camping" in motels.

pula58

pula58
PostSun Feb 07, 2021 4:53 pm 
hey rumidude, thanks for sharing the coffee info. I just ordered the sample pack!

pula58

pula58
PostMon Mar 22, 2021 8:57 pm 
So far my wife and I have tried the "mocha" Cusa coffee. The flavor was decent, but kind weak for our taste. We bought two of the Cusa sample packs, so we still have a lot of different flavors to try. Out of Starbucks Via's, Voila coffee, Alpine Start and Cusa We think we like Voila the best...but the Voila coffees cost the most by far.

altersego

altersego
PostMon Apr 12, 2021 10:13 am 
Just started prepping for a spring trip and discovered the instant coffee I bought last summer. Mountain Hagen brand from PCC in Seattle. Comes in the little stick packets like Starbucks Via. Organic and fair trade. I remember it being pretty good last summer along the PCT!

pula58

pula58
PostTue Apr 13, 2021 9:56 am 
CS coffee is another really good one....

Snuffy

Snuffy
PostFri Apr 16, 2021 8:47 pm 
altersego wrote:
Mountain Hagen brand from PCC in Seattle
You can actually buy Mount Hagen in multiple places like Central Market, the Sno-Isle Coop, Thrive Market online, it is my go to. I tried the Cusa after reading this post, it was okay but I agree it was a little weak in flavor. I think I will stick to Mount Hagen.

You don't find yourself standing at the top of a mountain without having started out in the valley.
Waterman

Waterman
PostMon Jun 21, 2021 9:02 am 
Good coffee is one item that I'm not shaving grams off. #2 melita cone and filter is the way to go. It is a hassle but worth it. Better to save weight elsewhere.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost