Forum Index > Trail Talk > Getting out of the Pasayten question
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kellbell

Kellbell
PostThu Jan 28, 2021 5:08 pm 
So if someone were to get on the PCT at Hart's Pass and take a right on the PNT at Castle Pass, how far would they have to go before they could get out? Any detour/side trail-- anything at all. I'm confused by the Boundary Trail directions...the Irongate TH looks really far from the PNT, which is supposedly one and the same. Maybe my brain is just not working confused.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostThu Jan 28, 2021 5:36 pm 
Your ‘escapes’ are several, all but one pretty long. (Sorry - these mileages are all gross estimates) First three all along the Pasayten River crossing of PNT: - South and up the West Fk. Pasayten River to Harts Pass - probably looking at 18+ miles - South up Middle Fk Pasayten to either Harts Pass or over Robinson Pass to Lost River area - 20+ miles - South through Hidden Lakes and out to Eightmile trailhead, 20 miles? Then, further east: - South out through Spanish Camp and Andrews Creek to Chewuch Riv. - 16+ miles - South out Chewuch River trail to 30 mile TH on the Chewuch - 12 miles? This assumes you do NOT bail out north to Canada. Which would be shorter, but illegal.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostThu Jan 28, 2021 9:31 pm 
What jinx’sboy said, plus you don’t have to go on the Boundary Trail from Iron Gate, although it does connect to the PNT at Horseshoe Pass and is a lovely walk. The official route goes west past Chopaka Mountain on the Ninemile Creek Road to the Cold Springs trailhead. Some roadwalking is required here. You have to go through Loomis to get to either trailhead. It’s a long way from anywhere, that’s why I like it so much. One more thing which I previously mentioned is to check with the Forest Service to see if they have cleared the PNT in 2021 from the Pasayten Airstrip to Frosty Pass. They had cleared it in 2019, but when we went through in 2020, there were around 300 new blowdowns. It looks like you are planning some cool trips Kellbell, feel free to pm me for more info on the above mentioned trails.

Kellbell

Kellbell
PostThu Jan 28, 2021 10:16 pm 
jinx'sboy wrote:
This assumes you do NOT bail out north to Canada. Which would be shorter, but illegal.
Exactly. Been waiting to do the last stretch from Harts Pass to Canada to complete the PCT in Washington, but it does not look good for the border opening this year. So, to make the most of it, thought I'd go to border, turn around and then hop on PNT. As i'm looking at my Guthooks, I see a possible Dean Creek escape. Do you know anything about that? And thank you so much, btw!!!

Kellbell

Kellbell
PostThu Jan 28, 2021 10:18 pm 
Nancyann wrote:
feel free to pm me for more info on the above mentioned trails
Wow, that is so nice of you! Your advice is like gold! I will take you up on that for sure once I've got a better idea of what i'm doing

jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostThu Jan 28, 2021 10:40 pm 
Kellbell wrote:
I see a possible Dean Creek escape. Do you know anything about that?
That country all burned - lightly - in about 2003. Then again, big time in 2006. The Dean Creek trail probably hadnt been maintained in 40 or so years anyway - no lookout on Bunker Hill. Since it all burned, I’d guess it is a real mess now. Even if it were in good shape, it wouldn’t make your bail-out routes any shorter. You might try calling the FS Office in Winthrop. Good luck!

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Jan 29, 2021 10:59 am 
I think the Boundary Trail comes within a mile or so of the Iron Gate, it crosses the trail to Horseshoe Basin where I went. It's a beautiful area, I would like to explore more, honestly I'd love to hike from there to the Chewuch TH, which is a dumb idea, because everything I've seen there is gorgeous. But it's obviously not the right way. Anyway, you're going to see a lot of burn. That means no shade and lots of blowdowns, but it also means flowers that get shaded out of a mature forest, more wildlife and more variety of it, more views. The snags turn a beautiful silver after a while, and there are saplings everywhere. Life comes back so aggressively. If you look at it that way, it doesn't feel like you're walking through destruction, it feels like a part of the cycle and it's beautiful.

Luc

Luc
PostMon Feb 01, 2021 11:57 am 
I've heard some people come out disappointed by the burns, but I second that they help contribute to the dynamism of the experience. Just be extra careful in recent burns or during wind events. There are a lot of old or abandoned trails that one can use to piece together routes - this depends on how much grit you bring and your experience navigating. PCT - Castle Pass - Airstrip - Tatoosh, then southbound is one of my favorite trips. If you can safely get around Lago (i think?) then you could avoid some of the river trail blowdown mess. Seems that issue reappears every year. Another great trip would be the same as above but instead of Airstrip, continue on the Boundary Trail to Bunker Hill (must ford river) and onto Sand Ridge then make your way south to Billy Goat TH. Iron Gate would be one of the longer routes out, as already explained, but could satisfy if seeing the border is a priority. You're almost a stone's throw from it at a few points. When in this area, keep your eyes peeled for old trails and faint junctions, and at each junction take the time (stop for a second) to consult your maps and spidey sense.

GNGSTR
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostMon Feb 01, 2021 12:12 pm 
I did a large loop through much of this area last year. It won't really help with exit but hopefully with conditions. I entered through Billy Goat trailhead and went north over Sand Ridge to the Boundary Trail, then west on Boundary over Bunker Hill and up to the PCT, south on PCT to Rock Creek, and back over Tatoosh Buttes. The section of Boundary Trail between Bunker Hill and the PCT had trees down very often, hundreds of them. It gets better closer to the PCT. I saw several hikers finishing off their thru-hikes going down this way and then out the Pasayten River trails back to Hart's Pass for variety. Rock Creek was fully logged out and in good shape. Same for Pasayten River trails since the horsemen use them. Boundary Trail east of Bunker Hill was in great shape, even through the burn areas. No shade but surprisingly few trees down. I saw a faint path leading down from Bunker Hill towards Dean Creek but it didn't look promising. Also the trail eastbound from near the Pasayten River crossing towards Hidden Lakes appears totally obliterated by fallen trees. South of Middle Hidden Lake is all clear though. Just the section in between has been destroyed. EDIT: Luc responded at the same time. I second going east to Sand Ridge, it's a really neat area.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostMon Feb 01, 2021 1:18 pm 
Lots of good information here! How is it going through the burn between Three Fools and Larch Pass?

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostMon Feb 01, 2021 1:57 pm 
Maybe one tree down? Not a problem at all. Lots of horses going out from Billy Goat towards Corral Lake kept it clear. We also ran into a group heading south who said they'd hiked up from "Diamond Jack". Best I can figure they went south along Ashnola River / Lake Creek to Fawn Lake, then south and west around Diamond Peak. I did that same route 5-6 years ago and it was absolute hell with downed trees. Maybe better now. Here's a map of the two trips I did this year and, to the best I can recall, the trail conditions. Worst downed trees were soutbound on the Boundary after fording the Pasayten until a few miles from Frosty Pass. Then smooth sailing on PCT, Rock Creek, and over Tatoosh Buttes. The Tatoosh Buttes trail is pretty rough and fades away in a few places near the top but no trees downed. Logged out on the east side above Hidden Lakes but everything is incinerated here until past Middle Hidden Lake. The cabins survived along with some taller trees and the shelter too. This was August 2020.
PasaytenTreesDownHiRes
PasaytenTreesDownHiRes
For the other trip on the map (late June 2020), trail was clear up Chewuch to near the Tungsten Mine. A few minor trees down. Very muddy near the mine. Seemed clear going over Apex Pass past Cathedral Lakes but it was very snowy still. Clear to Remmel Lake. Accidentally took the abandoned trail around the south of the lake which had some blowdown but wasn't bad at all. Fording Cathedral Creek was over knee deep and very fast. Then lots of trees down until the Four Point Lake junction. Less trees down after that but still annoying. One more pretty sketchy ford, I think Tunsten Creek. Fords likely not an issue later season.

Luc

Luc
PostMon Feb 01, 2021 2:09 pm 
I don't know the extent of the recent burn, but the Forest Service map that shows a trail from just below Larch pass that ascends the Diamond Point ridge. I think it's abandon but it was passable, and beautiful 5-6 years back. I did it northbound, so avoided any uphill schwacking. Maybe that would help avoid some blowdown? Downed trees are just going to be part of the package for a long time, I think.

GNGSTR
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostMon Feb 01, 2021 2:39 pm 
Thanks so much! This is really going to help Kellbell and me as well! up.gif

Kellbell

Kellbell
PostSun Feb 21, 2021 3:52 pm 
Opus wrote:
I entered through Billy Goat trailhead and went north over Sand Ridge to the Boundary Trail, then west on Boundary over Bunker Hill and up to the PCT, south on PCT
Hi Opus! I actually think I'm looking at this instead. (Except for also bagging the PCT terminus on the way, then exiting at Hart's) I need to buy an actual map instead of just looking at my Guthooks (which I get the math wrong all the time on because it has so many confusing alternatives) but I'm wondering if you could give me an idea on what mileage I'm looking at? I'm a slow hiker, with hopefully 9 days in September to do this. My goals are first and foremost completing the PCT miles from Harts to the border, but I love the idea of getting as much PNT miles in as possible too. (As long as I'm there, right?)

Kellbell

Kellbell
PostSun Feb 21, 2021 4:02 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Life comes back so aggressively. If you look at it that way, it doesn't feel like you're walking through destruction, it feels like a part of the cycle and it's beautiful.
I like the way you think! I also think burn areas are beautiful in their own way. Last year I was doing section a section of the PCT a herd of elk crossed the trail right in front of me. The area I was in was quite burnt out, and it made for a very dramatic scene! And the wildflowers...oh my. But the sun exposure...that's a wow too. So glad I bought an umbrella this year! Anyway, here's that TR just for funsies. http://slowesthiker.com/blog/the-mount-adams-wonderland-finishing-section-h-of-pct/