Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > The short squeeze - GME
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Jan 30, 2021 2:21 pm 
Shorting has been around for ages you only have to have an options ok on your account. The difference now is you can short a much smaller amount of stock. Previously you could only do 100 share lots. The danger is that like many options plays you can lose much more than your initial investment thus a reserve amount is required before you can play. I you wanted to short a block of Berkshire Hathaway that is a lot.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Jan 30, 2021 4:48 pm 
Shorting and put options are similar but different. Never actually did either because the only times it looked attractive would have put me in Dutch with the SEC for insider trading, so it goes.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostSun Jan 31, 2021 8:07 pm 
Stock talk on a hiking forum!? This!... This was the confirmation I was looking for that confirms that we are indeed in a stock market bubble just about to burst. Time to go to cash

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
bk

bk
PostMon Feb 01, 2021 6:46 am 
(What does the abbreviation mean that FiveNines uses?: "W/a B" )

neek

neek
PostMon Feb 01, 2021 6:52 am 
bk wrote:
(What does the abbreviation mean that FiveNines uses?: "W/a B" )
With a "b" (wrt billionaires)

bk

bk
PostMon Feb 01, 2021 6:57 am 
Okay. Got it. Thank you.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Feb 04, 2021 12:20 pm 
The collapse continues -- I wonder what percentage of the Redit posters that encouraged others to buy and hold sold as the stock was climbing. Market Summary > GameStop Corp. NYSE: GME 58.01 USD −34.40 (37.23%)

FiveNines

FiveNines
PostThu May 27, 2021 6:00 pm 
Randito: Thu Feb 04, 2021 wrote:
The collapse continues -- I wonder what percentage of the Redit posters that encouraged others to buy and hold sold as the stock was climbing. Market Summary > GameStop Corp. NYSE: GME 58.01 USD −34.40 (37.23%)
This take aged well. eta: charts and graphs
GME 100 day moving average is 140
GME 100 day moving average is 140
100 day moving average tracks back to mid February.
GME Price Chart
GME Price Chart
With the benefit of hindsight the redditors appear vindicated. Still have a chance to grab AMC rockets on way to moon! Top Gun 2 in November. Danger Zone!

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu May 27, 2021 9:24 pm 
FiveNines wrote:
Still have a chance to grab AMC rockets on way to moon! Top Gun 2 in November. Danger Zone!
20 shares only for GME -- 350 for AMC on Robinhood. Individual "investors" are still being fleeced -- the people that own seats on the exchange are still making plenty. https://www.shacknews.com/article/122501/robinhood-will-now-allow-users-to-buy-20-shares-of-gamestop-gme#:~:text=News-,Robinhood%20will%20now%20allow%20users%20to%20buy%2020%20shares%20of,%2C%20including%20GameStop%20(GME).&text=Robinhood%20found%20itself%20in%20hot,surge%20in%20popularity%20last%20week.

FiveNines

FiveNines
PostSun May 30, 2021 11:49 am 
Randyhiker, I was not clear in my questions of your take. I apologize and will try again.
Randito wrote:
I wonder what percentage of the Redit posters that encouraged others to buy and hold sold as the stock was climbing.
1. You implicate redditors in a pump and dump. What evidence do you have for this accusation? Wall St Bets reddit forum started hyping the stock in late summer 2020. Way before the price spike. If I were late to the game, copied WSB's advice and bought in January / sold in early February, when you recommended, I would have a 4 to 5x gain. $10 purchase to $40 / $50 sale. Of course if I stuck w/WSB and did not sell in early Feb, my gains would be roughly 20x as of today. Yes, if you bought in when MSM started hyping GME (and at the same time also hyping Wall St Bets) late January, after price spike, you would make a risky investment buying a formerly $10 stock for $200 - $400 price.
Randito wrote:
20 shares only for GME -- 350 for AMC on Robinhood. Individual "investors" are still being fleeced -- the people that own seats on the exchange are still making plenty.
2. What does robin hood have to do with anything? If you don't like their terms, don't trade through them. If I bought GME Jan1 and sold at your recommended low in February and made 4 to 5x on a month's speculation, how did I get fleeced? 3. Robin hood does not own any seats on any exchanges. WTF are you talking about? Additionally, robin hood does offer a low cost service that many customers use and enjoy. Are you suggesting that companies who provide goods/services their customers want do not deserve to make a profit? 4. I've noticed most of your posts conclude with an unrelated accusation, in the form of a question (often w/no question mark though). See examples above. Why do you do this? It reminds me of how our former president communicates his divisive conspiracies.