Forum Index > Trip Reports > hermit tonto boucher loop - grand canyon np 12.8 - 12.11.20
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostSat Feb 06, 2021 10:02 am 
Well said Brushbuffalo. I don't want to over emphasize the permits/NPS challenges. Yes, that is part of the scene but the bottom line is that the canyon is an incredible venue for cool weather backpacking. And it can be as mild (camping near Phantom Ranch or at Indian Gardens for example) or as wild as you wish.

Off trail rambler
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostSat Feb 06, 2021 10:35 am 
Eric Hansen wrote:
can be as mild or as wild as you wish.
Eric, you have WAY more experience in the Canyon than I do. However, when I ran the rim to rim to rim (R2R2R) in early May 1989 it was 17°F when I started down the Bright Angel, there was still snow cover on the North Rim, and the temperature had risen to 78° F when I returned to Phantom Ranch. (The ranger there kind of winked, suspecting I had gone to the North Rim, which was still under the seasonal closure. Phew!) I was too tired to note the temp back on the South Rim, but it would have been cool again. wink.gif Another time in May while camped on the South Rim I woke my wife up when I was banging the underside of the tent canopy in the wee hours. Audrey: "What on earth are you doing?!" "Me: "Knocking the snow off the tent!" That was a day after leaving Phoenix and its mid 90s temp, but now I'm crossing the line into hijacked.gif

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message