Forum Index > Partners > 8-day NCascades Aug backpack circuit
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
BradHess
Fit,patient sextagen

BradHess
Fit,patient sextagen
PostMon Feb 08, 2021 4:20 am 
Seeking partners for 8-day (Sat-Sat or Sat-Sun) backpacking circuit or out-and-back. If Covid allows ride-sharing I can arrange to meet you from my starting point, SEATAC. (Am willing to rent an SUV for the entire time if that's what it takes, but would prefer to avoid that expense.) I am a seasoned backpacker, a fit man in my early 60s, and happily married. I can do 15-20-mile days but really prefer to keep it no more than 10 to allow time to stop and take pictures along the way and enjoy a campfire at night when conditions allow. I was thinking of starting at Cascade Pass Trailhead and creating an 8-day circuit but any scenic area wilderness within a three hour drive of Seattle Metro will work. I have never set foot in the Cascades. I overnight or multi-night in WV national forests and the Adirondacks about 12 times a year. I am way ready for new, open-sky, western scenery so am open to specific route proposals. It does not have to be Cascade Pass Trail. Dates are up for grabs too. I will be taking leave from work to do this so including weekends helps.

Peddle, paddle, hike, ski, snowshoe to camp away from human noise
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DadFly

DadFly
PostTue Feb 09, 2021 10:14 am 
Let's talk!

"May you live in interesting times"
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Feb 09, 2021 11:00 am 
It's been a pretty good snow year -- so expect many trails to still be snow covered into Mid to Late July. Mid-summer can be quite pleasant weather wise -- but the Cascades can also have a storm blow, it can even snow -- these summer snows tend to melt quickly once the storm passes -- but is still useful to have sufficient clothing / sleeping insulation tolerate freezing temperatures. This is a useful book https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/948624.Don_t_Waste_Your_Time_in_the_North_Cascades

DadFly

DadFly
PostWed Feb 10, 2021 9:57 am 
Agreed. I take lightweight crampons and ice ax on a lot of trips. They turn treacherous terrain into easy passage.

"May you live in interesting times"
NorthwestWanderer

NorthwestWanderer
PostThu Feb 11, 2021 1:22 pm 
Just a heads up. If you are sticking to trails, western washington doesn't have western open sky scenery except for small sections of trail similair to WV. This place has LOTS of tree hiking.

the1mitch

the1mitch
PostTue Feb 16, 2021 5:55 pm 
I'm interested, depending on dates and birth of grand baby which is scheduled for late July.....

illegitimi non carborundum!
RThorn

RThorn
PostSun Mar 07, 2021 7:19 pm 
I may be interested depending on dates. We are moving back to Washinton in August after a 17 year stint in Idaho. Going to miss the sunny skies. Send me the dates you have in mind. I am retiring April 1. Have done lots of mountaineering in my prior time in Washington