Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > 2nd Stimulus Payment PSA
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostSat Feb 13, 2021 7:34 am 
because I had moved to another state I closed the current bank account and opened a new one with the first stimulus check. Second check went to closed account and I had to wait until the gubmint sent me a check. Vet friend got one of those debit cards and so did another family member. Both thot it was a scam but after talking to others who had gotten the card and cashed it they realized what the deal was and deposited the funds into their bank accounts. Going back over some old news items I saw where there was information stating that this was going to be how some people got their stimulus money...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
GeoTom

GeoTom
PostSat Feb 13, 2021 10:06 am 
Our first stimulus payment was direct deposit, so I expected the same for the second one. My bank (BECU) had a notification regarding the cards being sent in lieu of direct deposit for some people, so I had some advance notice. If I hadn't seen that notification I may have thought the card to be some sort of scam. There didn't seem to be much publicity as to card distribution. Once we got the card, I was able to transfer the funds directly into our account without leaving the house, but the process was a little more cumbersome than most internet transactions.
Quote:
BTW - the service rep at my credit union advised not to pitch the card after getting the money out of it - as it may be "recharged" for the Biden stimulus.
Thanks for this reminder. I double checked and verified that we still have our card in the filing cabinet.

Knows literally nothing
reststep

reststep
PostSat Feb 13, 2021 11:12 am 
Anne Elk wrote:
BTW - the service rep at my credit union advised not to pitch the card after getting the money out of it - as it may be "recharged" for the Biden stimulus.
Too late for me. I already cut up the card and threw it away. I was thinking it said somewhere in the paper work that it was a one time use card but I may be remembering that wrong.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSat Feb 13, 2021 11:31 am 
reststep wrote:
Too late for me. I already cut up the card and threw it away.
No, you can probably get it reissued. Note on page 2 of the letter near the top, it says "...if you believe your card or PIN has bee lost or stolen or used without your permission, call customer services at 1.800.240.8100."

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSat Feb 13, 2021 12:40 pm 
The info that came with the card says it cannot be reloaded. The FAQ page for the card says that the second payment would not be loaded onto cards used for the first payment. So, cutting it up is probably OK, but I’m saving mine just in case.

iron

iron
PostSun Feb 14, 2021 8:21 pm 
are you guys talking about the $600 stimulus? or something else?

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Feb 14, 2021 9:46 pm 
Yes, the $600. Mine “stimulated” Earl’s garage to the tune of a new alternator and battery isolater for my camper van.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Feb 14, 2021 9:47 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
reststep wrote:
Too late for me. I already cut up the card and threw it away.
No, you can probably get it reissued. Note on page 2 of the letter near the top, it says "...if you believe your card or PIN has bee lost or stolen or used without your permission, call customer services at 1.800.240.8100."
Mine never arrived and is likely stolen. I called that number and they said they can't put a trace on it until after 2-24.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Feb 15, 2021 10:04 am 
I stimulated a food bank.

Art is an adventure.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Feb 15, 2021 11:54 am 
FWIW: For people experiencing mail theft, I had a good experience using a UPS mailbox. I got it when I temporarily moved to NYC for a couple years to help with my twin granddaughters entering the world but wanted to maintain my "footprint" in Washington. As far as the postal service is concerned a UPS box is a (tiny) apartment. So one may use that as an address for many cases where a P.O.Box isn't accepted. While I was in NYC, I would have them bundle all the non junk mail in a large envelope and UPS ground ship it to me in NYC. Now that I'm back in the PNW I've kept it for all "business" related correspondence. So I have no worries about mail theft. Cost is $180 per year. It does slightly complicate ordering cheap plastic crsp online, in that I always need to specify a shipping and billing address separately.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Feb 16, 2021 10:54 pm 
Stefan wrote:
I stimulated a food bank.
You're awesome!! Thank you! up.gif

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSat Feb 20, 2021 2:23 am 
Just yesterday, a full month after my stimulus debit card showed up, there was an official IRS notice in my PO Box saying the payment had been issued. Seems backwards, considering how bogus the payment format seemed; but that's just me. More info is here: https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payments Best news in the letter was that these payments are not taxable income. biggrin.gif

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostSat Mar 20, 2021 8:33 am 
did not get your stimulus check? this guy might have it: https://www.yahoo.com/news/stolen-stimulus-checks-found-inside-203128508.html

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSat Mar 20, 2021 10:15 am 
I’ve been checking the “track my stimulus” page at the IRS, and it always says “more info needed”, even though I have had the same address for 20 years. I use Safari browser on my IPhone. But I know Safari does not work and play well with others at times, so I tried again using Chrome. This was the result: “ Payment Status We scheduled your payment to be mailed on March 26, 2021 to the address we have on file for you.” Anyway, the tracker is working, and my check (or prepaid debit card) is coming in early April. With me being eligible for a vaccine starting March 31st, this summer’s travel plans are looking more and more likely to happen.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSat Mar 20, 2021 1:05 pm 
Sluggo - thanks for sharing your experience with browser incompatibility. Although I disabled all my privacy plug-ins on Firefox, I got a message that said, "Access Denied. You don't have permission to access "http://sa.www4.irs.gov/irfof-wmsp/login" on this server." I checked the IRS FAQs re denial/lockout messages, and it says to make sure the way you enter your address matches the USPS official records. I use a PO Box address. I suspect the IRS tool might not have liked the "periods" I used, i.e. "P.O. Box". So I eliminated them, but also used Chrome the 2nd try, and it worked. IRS said, "payment will come via direct deposit to your account ending in ---". So for all who haven't checked, use the Chrome browser.