Forum Index > Food & Grub > No cook healthy backpacking food
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ale_capone

ale_capone
PostThu Dec 07, 2017 6:29 am 
Nice! The bacon trail mix has my head spinning with some gourmet possibilities. I'm going to try some speck, plantain, almond combos.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Snuffy

Snuffy
PostThu Dec 07, 2017 11:31 am 
ale_capone wrote:
Nice! The bacon trail mix has my head spinning with some gourmet possibilities. I'm going to try some speck, plantain, almond combos.
Oh, those sound yummy, too! Where do you get your speck? I am a big prosciutto fan on the trail.

You don't find yourself standing at the top of a mountain without having started out in the valley.
ale_capone

ale_capone
PostThu Dec 07, 2017 4:38 pm 
Currently 'cured' in Leavenworth. Their selection varies, but always have several really good choices. Highly recommended.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostWed Dec 13, 2017 2:44 pm 
No cook is much safer cause cooking you have to worry about bears

Snuffy

Snuffy
PostWed Dec 13, 2017 6:54 pm 
ale_capone wrote:
Currently 'cured' in Leavenworth
I think I have tried some of their meats, I'll have to look for it the next time I am over there!

You don't find yourself standing at the top of a mountain without having started out in the valley.
Snuffy

Snuffy
PostWed Dec 13, 2017 6:55 pm 
BigBrunyon wrote:
worry about bears
Yep, just one more benefit!

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostWed Dec 13, 2017 7:41 pm 
Ya think bacon trail mix and prosciutto are odorless because they don't require cooking??? embarassedlaugh.gif If you bring food with you, cook or no cook, if "worrying" about bears is your thing, you still need to "worry". Or you can just use common sense and keep a clean camp and practice good food handling and storage techniques.

Snuffy

Snuffy
PostThu Dec 14, 2017 12:12 am 
@AlpineRose I think we are just talking about not having to worry about odors created from cooking, not that all odors would be eliminated. At least, I was. And if there is any worry about bears and I AM cooking, I'm one of those people who prefers to cook at least 200 ft away from where I camp. In fact, because I tend to hike until the last bit of daylight is gone, I will have eaten miles from where I camp. And I hang my food in an odor proof bag. So typically I'm not worried about bears. 😀

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostTue Mar 06, 2018 11:42 pm 
Snuffy, just curious are you always on Paleo diet or is it just a hiking thing for you. Reason I ask is people who are not adjusted to Paleo may suffer from lack of energy from it. I am speaking from personal experience, I am not a nutritionist or medically trained here. But I was training for a marathon and up to jogging 14 miles. I started the Paleo diet and over time my runs got more difficult despite my training, and I felt more sluggish. It all came crashing down on my when 6 miles into a run I literally felt like I was going to pass out, I called my wife for a ride and saw a doctor. The doctor told me that Paleo was bad for any high endurance activity and I was lucky it didn't end up worse. Needless to say I personally will never do Paleo again. I was only on the diet for about 2.5 weeks when this happened and my body may have not adjusted properly yet. I am not trying to say that this diet doesn't fit in with a hiking lifestyle, but would urge someone who is not on the diet not to go on a long hard multi night trip with plans to start Paleo, because if I had the experience I did deep in the woods it would have been a terrifying experience trying to get out.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
Snuffy

Snuffy
PostWed Mar 07, 2018 8:57 am 
burck17 wrote:
Snuffy, just curious are you always on Paleo diet or is it just a hiking thing for you. Reason I ask is people who are not adjusted to Paleo may suffer from lack of energy from it.
I'm so sorry you had that experience, I can see how that would make you not want to continue! Yes, I have been following a paleo lifestyle since the beginning of 2012 and had been doing so for about 7 months before my first backpacking trip. I'm not sure if it would have made a difference for me or not, I imagine it is different for everyone depending on how much of a lifestyle change it is. I had been paleo for a year and a half before I did a 520 mile backpacking trip and did just fine. I know of quite a few people who hike, climb, backpack and enjoy a paleo lifestyle, including several fellow PCT hikers. I have heard quite a few people go through a "detox" time period when starting paleo and have varying energy levels as their bodies adjust. I'm not a doctor but I imagine there is some advice out there to be cognizant of how your body is doing with the change and adjust activity level accordingly. My assumption would be that beginning a new way of eating before attempting any major physical activity is normally ill-advised and it probably goes the same for paleo. smile.gif

Snuffy

Snuffy
PostSat Feb 13, 2021 10:28 am 
I'm still plodding along with the alternate trail meals and eats, although I have switched to using a stove in my older age as I like the warm beverages now. If you are looking to add more vegetables or need some ideas for a paleo/keto/AIP/nightshade free diet, you will find them here. https://www.musthikemusteat.com/recipe-index/

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostThu Feb 25, 2021 2:14 am 
For no cook just bring McDonald's burgers healthy enough if you're burnin' big cals. This fuel approach is gaining in popularity amungst the trail running scene

Snuffy

Snuffy
PostFri Apr 16, 2021 8:55 pm 
BigBrunyon wrote:
For no cook just bring McDonald's burgers healthy enough if you're burnin' big cals. This fuel approach is gaining in popularity amungst the trail running scene
Yes, there are still those folks out there clinging to the illusion that it doesn't matter what your fuel is as long as you burn enough calories. That said, I'd be the last person to deny someone their Mickey D's happiness if it worked for them. Pretty sure they aren't my targeted crowd, though. lol.gif