Forum Index > Trail Talk > Wolf encounters?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Feb 12, 2021 4:23 pm 
I'll share this sighting now since a lot of people are aware of them. On my fateful trip on Lost Creek Ridge we saw a pack of wolves near the top of Zi-iob Peak just playing in the snow. I didn't believe my eyes when I first saw them and tried to imagine what else they could be but my suspicions were confirmed when the helicopter rescue crew said they saw them too. I assume it's the same pack that's been seen along the Mountain Loop all the way from Darrington to Granite Falls in the past few years.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostFri Feb 12, 2021 8:28 pm 
My best wolf encounter was on Isle Royale. Four of them 50 years out in the open forest, half shadow, half animal. They pivoted and left. Like a puff of mist. I'm Wisconsin based and we have about 6-700 wolves in state. Boundary Waters area in Minnesota has the only enduring major wolf population in the lower 48. Even in the middle of what you have to call the wolf holocaust there were still 500 or so there. Human tolerance grew and dispersers from the Boundary Waters rounded the west end of Lake Superior and came into Wisconsin about 1990. Dispersers roam widely. One pup, tagged in the central Wisconsin sand counties forest when young, died on the Indiana/Ohio border.

Off trail rambler
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Feb 12, 2021 9:11 pm 
Schroder wrote:
I assume it's the same pack that's been seen along the Mountain Loop all the way from Darrington to Granite Falls in the past few years.
I was almost certain I'd seen one along the Mt. Loop on 2 occasions, within about a mile of the same location. Hadn't heard there was a confirmed pack in the area.

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostSat Feb 13, 2021 7:38 am 
Long time ago I encountered wolves on the mountain whilst out hunting. I topped a ridge to find 4 of them rousting about a short distance from me. They did not hang around long and I did not have a startle reaction on seeing so many. They made no threat moves to me at all.

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostSat Feb 13, 2021 7:50 am 
I was camped on Tarpiscan Creek in the Colockum when what I assumed was the collared female spotted near Wenatchee transited through on the way to join the pack in the Teanaway. Which begs the question: how did the wolf cross hundreds of miles of terrain that has had no wolves for a hundred years, and know which way to go?

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostSat Feb 13, 2021 9:54 am 
Sculpin wrote:
: I was camped on Tarpiscan Creek in the Colockum when what I assumed was the collared female spotted near Wenatchee transited through on the way to join the pack in the Teanaway
When was this?

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Gil

Gil
PostSat Feb 13, 2021 8:14 pm 
My wolf stories are all from Alaska. In the late 70s, I was on a lone stakeout near Petersburg camped on a small island across from a larger one that had a bit of tideflat. Early one morning at low tide I looked out to see a wolf come out on the flat. For the next hour or so, I watched as it dug up clams! And when a clam squirted the wolf would jump, startled. Eventually the tide came in and the wolf left. Later that morning, I heard oarlocks and watched a guy in a dory pass by, a surprise given how far out we were. When I got back to town, I learned that the guy had rowed up from Seattle!

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
timberghost

timberghost
PostSun Feb 14, 2021 7:00 pm 
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostMon Feb 15, 2021 8:17 am 
Bootpathguy wrote:
When was this?
Fortunately the Wenatchee World has a very good search engine, so I found this: https://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/local/wolf-attacks-deer-up-no-2-canyon/article_bf754756-efe7-5ce8-8645-d94fb4901dbb.html So my sighting would have been the first week of May (cuz that's when I camp on the Tarpiscan) in 2013. The wolf was loping in a southwesterly direction along an old sheep trail, obviously going somewhere, when it spotted us and froze, and then continued on its way. I might be wrong about the collar but the wolf was tracked from Canada to the Teanaway somehow, I just cannot remember the details anymore.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
DadFly

DadFly
PostMon Feb 15, 2021 8:33 am 
In 1976 a friend and I were ski touring up Gold Creek north of Missoula MT in early March. The spring thaw had started and the snow pack was firm and consolidated. We were able to cruise long distances in a day. About 1PM we were skiing up a bare ridge about 600 ft above the valley below right. There was a big beautiful stand of Ponderosa pines down there. A wolf appeared in the downstream end and loped parallel to us through the Ponderosas and disappeared into the thicker trees upstream. We both saw it at the same time and just stopped and watched. There was no sound, no mutual recognition. Just three entities in the woods passing by chance. It was cruising at about 10mph with an easy gait. Beautiful long legged beast! There were no reported wolves in the area at the time other than north about 100 miles. He probably came down from the Glacier park area, up through the Swan valley and down the Clearwater to the Blackfoot. He was probably home for lunch the next day.

"May you live in interesting times"
gb

gb
PostMon Feb 15, 2021 8:38 am 
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostMon Feb 15, 2021 9:05 am 
Sorry if this is a repost. smile.gif https://wdfw.wa.gov/species-habitats/at-risk/species-recovery/gray-wolf/updates Lots of good information.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostTue Feb 16, 2021 8:39 pm 
So in between the last post in 2015 and Schroeder's resurrection of this post, this happened. August 2018 in the Wind River Range. Not much to see in this video, it's all about the howling. The best howling/multiple voices occurs beginning at the 1:58 mark, fast forward to that if you want to skip our fireside banter. Had both of my dogs with me and they didn't really react beyond perking their ears up a little. https://vimeo.com/381858044

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostWed Feb 17, 2021 12:55 am 
HOOOOOOOoooouuuuuuwwwww!!!!

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostThu Feb 18, 2021 8:30 am 
Bedivere wrote:
So in between the last post in 2015 and Schroeder's resurrection of this post, this happened. August 2018 in the Wind River Range. Not much to see in this video, it's all about the howling. The best howling/multiple voices occurs beginning at the 1:58 mark, fast forward to that if you want to skip our fireside banter. Had both of my dogs with me and they didn't really react beyond perking their ears up a little. https://vimeo.com/381858044
That's really cool! Thanks for sharing I posted an experience a few months ago. We were out setting a trail camera when my wife & I saw a wolf chasing a elk calf. They crossed the game trail, left to right, 40 yards in front of us

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want